Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2011, 13:00   #1
Raggy
Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 85
Raggy is on a distinguished road
Bug: "Find Traps, Doors & Stairs" doesn't work on chests

Standing next to a ~Small iron chest, and casting "Find Traps, Doors & Stairs":

(grrr how do I copy text from Message recall window?)


You sense the presence of traps!
You sense the presence of doors and stairs!


Looking at the chest revealed no traps, so I had to hit "s" to search:

You have discovered a trap on the chest!

Maybe it's intentional, but my gut feeling says its a bug

Any hope to see NPP chests to Vanilla? I seldom bother to open chests anymore , as they never contain good items.
Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2011, 13:48   #2
buzzkill
Prophet
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,939
Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
You can pick up a chest and Identify it to discover traps on it. Goofy? Yes.
__________________
www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2011, 17:30   #3
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,918
Derakon is on a distinguished road
You don't even need to pick it up; you can use identify on items on the floor by hitting '-' at the item prompt.

I can see arguments either way for whether or not trap detection should show traps on chests.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2011, 19:15   #4
bulian
Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 162
bulian is on a distinguished road
Personally I would either just remove traps from chests or make them all trapped and automatically known. It seems as though >95% of chests are trapped anyway.

A slight aside: some time recently chest drops got better to the point that occasionally even an artifact would spawn.

Are items inside chests now created when the chest is created, just like monster inventories? If so, with an artifact inside, can the chest be destroyed?
bulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2011, 21:14   #5
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulian View Post
Personally I would either just remove traps from chests or make them all trapped and automatically known. It seems as though >95% of chests are trapped anyway.

A slight aside: some time recently chest drops got better to the point that occasionally even an artifact would spawn.

Are items inside chests now created when the chest is created, just like monster inventories? If so, with an artifact inside, can the chest be destroyed?
Items in chests are not created until the chest is opened.

@OP: this behaviour is WAD, I understand. It seems rationalisable to me - the spell is detecting big mechanical or magical traps, sufficient to maim or move man-sized or larger creatures. Chest traps are tiny little needles, runes etc.

That said, I don't mind at all if someone wants to overhaul traps altogether - that's been outstanding for a long time (ticket #426).
__________________
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2011, 23:19   #6
Jazerus
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 74
Jazerus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Items in chests are not created until the chest is opened.

@OP: this behaviour is WAD, I understand. It seems rationalisable to me - the spell is detecting big mechanical or magical traps, sufficient to maim or move man-sized or larger creatures. Chest traps are tiny little needles, runes etc.

That said, I don't mind at all if someone wants to overhaul traps altogether - that's been outstanding for a long time (ticket #426).
Chest traps are a little bit too "gotcha!" right now. Finding a chest should be a generally positive thing, rather than a point where you think about whether you want to risk STR/CON drain for possible good stuff. The needle traps might be worth ditching in favor of some of the other existing traps, like teleport, along with other interesting effects.
Jazerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2011, 00:05   #7
Zikke
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,068
Zikke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Items in chests are not created until the chest is opened.

@OP: this behaviour is WAD, I understand. It seems rationalisable to me - the spell is detecting big mechanical or magical traps, sufficient to maim or move man-sized or larger creatures. Chest traps are tiny little needles, runes etc.
The spell detects dungeon traps, not traps in objects. I think that is consistent with the other aspects of that spell.
__________________
A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2011, 04:14   #8
nobody
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 80
nobody is on a distinguished road
i thought all chests were trapped
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2011, 04:26   #9
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,918
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Nope; every once in awhile you'll spend 50 turns searching and find nothing, and rather than burn an Identify charge, risk opening it anyway...at which point you have about 75% odds that the chest is in fact not trapped, and 25% odds that the trap was just really well hidden.

All chests are locked though.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2011, 04:58   #10
buzzkill
Prophet
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,939
Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
What if chests, instead of being trapped (and locked), were *locked*. Better chests, better *locks*. It would take some turns, maybe a lot of turns (100's), to unlock a chest based on the difficulty of the chest and 'whatever else (skill/stat/class/level) is deemed appropriate'. Inspecting the chest will tell you approx. how long it will take. Some *chests* might well be impossible to open when found.

In a hurry? In a still occupied vault? Don't feel like lugging a 50# chest around at speed (-4)? There could be ways to speed up the process, like having a key, or hitting it with something heavy. Of course this makes a lot of noise and might damage the contents.

Just a random thought. Probably not a V idea.
__________________
www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rods of detect traps and stairs/doors Timo Pietilš Development 13 March 10, 2011 05:38
"Master" option & variant selection..? Lord Fell Vanilla 15 November 13, 2010 20:45
"Extra" Boulders in Traps Bostock Variants 2 November 10, 2010 18:06
"Great" drops replaced by "good" drops in vaults: bug or feature? PowerWyrm Vanilla 14 February 27, 2010 16:54
"repeat" Command just little bit "smarter" ClaytonAguiar Vanilla 8 June 17, 2009 16:01


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.