Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old April 20, 2021, 14:35   #1
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
Frog - A couple of Pumpkin suggestions

As someone who has probably playtested the Death Pumpkin race more than anybody, I have a couple of suggestions. Don't worry, Sideways, they're not "make them easier" (although I think they should be, I realize that if you thought they should be easier, you would have made them easier).

1) Give pre-devolution pumpkins a(n actual, not just misreported) pip of Hold Life, as a nerf.

"What?" Yes, a nerf. At present, maintaining CL39 to avoid devolution is basically trivial, due to the existence of potions of Lose Memories (which are blocked by one HL pip). I consider it uninteresting gameplay, and I hope you'll agree.

This doesn't prevent the player from getting themselves drained in other ways, but those are more interesting/exciting.

2) Delay devolution to CL42, to balance out the above nerf.

(Hey, I didn't say make them *harder*.)

3) Be less coy about the timing of the devolution in the race description - say they're 42 inches tall and their head falls inch by inch, or something.

Why? Because hitting an unspoiled player with the devolution unexpectedly doesn't really add any fun.
Old April 20, 2021, 15:25   #2
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
At MITZE's behest, here's the smallest pumpkin actual-buff suggestion I can make: replace the Ac on Jack's lantern with Co. (Co and FA2/3 are the hardest-to-get out of the big necessities for a pumpkin.)