Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old July 10, 2021, 20:53   #1
MicroChasm
Scout

MicroChasm is on a distinguished road
Low Turncount Speedrun-- 2,374

I wanted to share this run with everyone, since it took a lot of work to achieve. I've been attempting low turncount speedruns of Sil for some months now, and it took hundreds and hundreds of runs to get this.
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=24535
It's a lot of fun to play the game this way. You are always on edge. The runs are much shorter than usual, especially because most of them die in the early game. There is quite a lot of rng involved, mostly around where stairs generate, whether monsters see you, whether you get a Staff of Slumber, and whether or not you can find some potions and staves to get out of tricky situations. I play these runs in a very risky way, mostly just assuming that nothing will see me, and then running away when they do.
My 2,374 turns could definitely be beaten—I don’t think I was completely optimal in my movement, and the stair generation could always be better.
I'd be happy to outline the strategy for these runs if anyone is interested. The one caveat is that it is played in the beta branch of course, I will have to try again on the next full release.
MicroChasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2021, 07:45   #2
ster
Rookie

ster is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the point when you will never get one of these onto the first page of the ladder? Quirk's player vs developer mentality killed the game.
Old July 14, 2021, 00:46   #3
MicroChasm
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ster View Post
What's the point when you will never get one of these onto the first page of the ladder? Quirk's player vs developer mentality killed the game.
Well, I’m personally very thankful that Quirk puts in time and effort to continue to improve his fork. In my experience he takes the design very seriously. I’m especially thankful for the time and effort that it has taken to implement my tileset. I feel that you have a very specific thought in mind that I’m not privy to. Even so, your comment feels more combative than seems appropriate in this context.

As far as the ladder goes, while it orders by score by default, I noticed that if you click on the word Score in the menu header it orders games by XP, lowest to highest. In that view, my win does show up at the top. It’s odd behavior for sure. In the end, I did this run just because I was having fun with the idea of it.

It’s hard to say what would be the ideal criteria is for the best game in Sil. Highest XP would favor overly long games. Smallest turncount or lowest XP would favor the type of game that I did, which was pretty degenerate behavior. I spent most of the game going up and down staircases over and over until they collapsed. Not the kind of game that you necessarily want to encourage people to play. I don’t know how other roguelikes handle the idea of score honestly.
Old July 14, 2021, 01:31   #4
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
There is one win with crazy low turncount , where SweetV killed M and got all three silmarilions. I assume that's when Gwarl nerfed eartquakes...
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2021, 03:56   #5
MicroChasm
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
There is one win with crazy low turncount , where SweetV killed M and got all three silmarilions. I assume that's when Gwarl nerfed eartquakes...
I think the run you are referring to is this one, is that right?

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=23394

I looked through the low turncount runs on the ladder when I was working on my own run, and I remembered the specifics of this one.

Edit: I didn't copy the whole url on the initial post

Last edited by MicroChasm; July 15, 2021 at 00:41.
Old July 14, 2021, 04:08   #6
MicroChasm
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroChasm View Post
I think the run you are referring to is this one, is that right?

angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=23394

I looked through the low turncount runs on the ladder when I was working on my own run, and I remembered the specifics of this one.
Well now I’m second guessing myself, maybe it was this one?

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=23354

Both are low turncount, three silmarils and a morgy kill.
Old July 14, 2021, 22:56   #7
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=23394

Check that out
Old July 15, 2021, 00:53   #8
MicroChasm
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
That is one of the links I was intending to post above, but I didn't copy the whole url the first time. To be fair I was traveling at the time. I edited my post to include the correct url.

It's a very impressive run for sure. SweetVinegar has a lot of impressive runs on the ladder. However, I don't feel that the run is comparable with mine 1:1, since SweetVinegar was doing the 50,000 XP challenge. I was just thinking today that the next challenge for myself might be to attempt 50,000 XP challenge speedruns.
Old July 15, 2021, 18:36   #9
MicroChasm
Scout

Doing the 50,000XP Challenge is way more consistent than doing normal runs. It's good fun as well. I completed a speedrun today using the challenge at 1,427 turns.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=24546