Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old December 20, 2019, 11:52   #11
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Wobbly! Yeah, I was thinking it was you commenting on one of your winners. I'd swear I've gone to 100', left, come back and still had the forge. But maybe I'm wrong.

So if you're a smith build, you want to see as many rooms as possible, right? To give yourself max chances to find forges? Maybe wait until after 500' to employ that strategy?
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2020, 23:21   #12
Infinitum
Adept

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
If you want to play around with smithing, put in ~4 points early for good quality equipment on the first forge, then just pump your combat skills and dive as fast as you comfortably can until staff of revelations depth. You'll end up seeing more forges, get a chance to naturally pick up smithing equipment and won't die nearly as much. Bespoke items aren't good enough to compensate for the xp deficit in the midgame compared to what is likely to drop otherwise.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2020, 00:32   #13
DavidMedley
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitum View Post
If you want to play around with smithing, put in ~4 points early for good quality equipment on the first forge, then just pump your combat skills and dive as fast as you comfortably can until staff of revelations depth. You'll end up seeing more forges, get a chance to naturally pick up smithing equipment and won't die nearly as much. Bespoke items aren't good enough to compensate for the xp deficit in the midgame compared to what is likely to drop otherwise.
I don't understand all these words. 4 points - OK, but any particular abilities? How deep is staff of revelations depth? What is a bespoke item?
Old January 21, 2020, 11:07   #14
Quirk
Swordsman

Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
I don't understand all these words. 4 points - OK, but any particular abilities? How deep is staff of revelations depth? What is a bespoke item?
4 points would get you any of Weaponsmith, Armoursmith or Jeweller.

Revelations is native to 650', so you'll see it close to there, maybe a little earlier.

"Bespoke items" are items created with Artifice.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2020, 11:13   #15
Quirk
Swordsman

Quirk is on a distinguished road
In general, by the first forge, you don't have much in the way of armour or equipment. Armoursmith can greatly improve your survivability for the next few levels as protection matters a lot early on, and just getting the basics of armour, helm, boots, gloves and shield sorted out is a big deal. Archers gain a lot from Weaponsmith by having a good bow and a way to boost arrow supplies. Jeweller is a slightly longer-term play - it gives you items you're unlikely to find for quite a while.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2020, 04:23   #16
DavidMedley
Knight

Yeah, I've been putting in 3 points and getting Armorsmith or 4 points for Jeweler (build-specific). I feel like I'm wasting that first forge if I don't do something.