Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old March 12, 2022, 00:23   #1
seraph
Adept

seraph is on a distinguished road
sooooo close

closest i've ever been to killing morgoth, or even getting a sil. any advise for next time would be appreciated. in particular, why did morgoth's accuracy go up 20 points over the course of the fight?
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2022, 00:24   #2
seraph
Adept

didn't post the picture? but here's the link: https://imgur.com/gallery/ddIXHo0

and the character dump: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=24968
Old March 12, 2022, 00:35   #3
HugoVirtuoso
Veteran

HugoVirtuoso is on a distinguished road
That's an awful lot of Unrelenting Horrors. You should look at my Sil-Q videos (i.e. my signature) on YouTube of my aggresive approach to fighting the version 1.5.0 Morgoth. Obviously although I failed many times, I successfully killed him the one time I won a recent Sil Q 1.5.0 compo two months ago.

See this:
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=24851

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso
HugoVirtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2022, 03:09   #4
Quirk
Swordsman

Quirk is on a distinguished road
At 53 evasion with double free action I'm going to call that death somewhat unlucky. That said, getting a Sil is way easier than killing Morgoth. He gets harder to kill the closer he is to dying. If you want to crack a couple of Sils from the crown and run you get the classic ascent with him chasing you and I feel you could very definitely have managed that.

Rapid Attack might have upped your damage enough to take Morgoth down. Vengeance has its merits also. I don't know if you were at full health when you got hit, if not Miruvor would have been a good move, but in general you were defensively pretty solid and would have shrugged off pretty much everything but a desperate final phase Morgoth.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2022, 04:30   #5
seraph
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
At 53 evasion with double free action I'm going to call that death somewhat unlucky. That said, getting a Sil is way easier than killing Morgoth. He gets harder to kill the closer he is to dying. If you want to crack a couple of Sils from the crown and run you get the classic ascent with him chasing you and I feel you could very definitely have managed that.

Rapid Attack might have upped your damage enough to take Morgoth down. Vengeance has its merits also. I don't know if you were at full health when you got hit, if not Miruvor would have been a good move, but in general you were defensively pretty solid and would have shrugged off pretty much everything but a desperate final phase Morgoth.
technically, i had 50 evasion; strength in adversity kicked in after i died lol.

it probably would have been a good strategy to kill everything else first. then i could at least do dodging and flanking and not have other things break concentration, and maybe get some more xp.
Old March 12, 2022, 06:44   #6
DrWho42
Adept

DrWho42 is on a distinguished road

bootleg fishcenterlive

🌲link🌲tree🌲
DrWho42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2022, 08:25   #7
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
I thought being in a pit greatly lowers your defense.
At least in the older releases. And you seems to have perished while in a pit
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2022, 10:15   #8
wobbly
Prophet

wobbly will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbee View Post
I thought being in a pit greatly lowers your defense.
At least in the older releases. And you seems to have perished while in a pit
It does, but you can see the charge message from staff of freedom between being pitted and dying.

Its a big help if you don't get pushed into the corner like that. You're less likely to fall into a pit and you'd have another +3 from dodge. I see !con still in inventory, I'm guessing you got screwed by the timing of events. Sometimes I like to pre-buff with !quick to avoid situations where you have to do multiple things at once. Having to heal and haste, or haste and freedom, or ...

With that little armour you need to be con buffed, as you saw he can still one-shot you when he reaches full buff.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2022, 19:56   #9
NotMorgoth
Adept

NotMorgoth is on a distinguished road
In a lot of these Sil character dumps, I see artifacts made by the player that "make you encounter more dangerous creatures even when not worn".

Is this something from an earlier version that is no longer possible in 1.5? I can't see how an item would get this in the smithing menu.
NotMorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2022, 03:17   #10
Quirk
Swordsman

Quirk is on a distinguished road
It used to be possible to stack curses on artifacts you had created to get more smithing points. By Sil 1.3 most of the curses did not give you points because they could be used on items that would only be worn when smithing, at which point the drawback scarcely mattered.

Danger remained as a curse with a drawback that did count for something even when not worn. However, stacking danger on all your items essentially maxed out its effects and so let you bypass the drawback to some extent while still getting the benefits.

As of 1.5, to the best of my recollection, all curses do reduce smithing cost on enchanted items but you can no longer deliberately add them to your own artifacts.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote