Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 7, 2011, 16:27   #1
Gockel
Apprentice

Gockel is on a distinguished road
angband on notebook

hi there!
I'd like to play angband on my notebook, but there are several problems:
first it doesn't have a numpad, which makes moving around a pain in the ass: holding down the function key + ctrl or shift +direction...
also the esc-key doesn't seem to work well, have to press it for some seconds until it gets recognized.
and on certain occasions graphical artifacts stay behind (e.g. when i use the look command, the yellow frame of the cursor stays continuosly on every square i looked at).

i guess i'll have to live with that, just thought i'd ask if there is something like a notebook version of angband or if there's an easy way to change the movement-keys. maybe by editing the pref-file itself etc... or does a pref-file for numpadless notbooks already exist somewhere?
thanks!!
Gockel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011, 16:54   #2
tigpup
Apprentice

tigpup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockel View Post
first it doesn't have a numpad, which makes moving around a pain in the ass: holding down the function key + ctrl or shift +direction...
I play on a notebook too. The direction arrow keys work for N, S, E & W, and the Home, PgUp, PgDn & End keys for for diagonal movement.

Hope this helps!
tigpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011, 17:04   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You can also try the roguelike keyset, which uses ijkl and other nearby letters for movement.

No ideas on the visual artifacting or the escape key though.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011, 18:45   #4
Gockel
Apprentice

Gockel is on a distinguished road
ok, thanks!

i'll try the above...
i guess it'll take some time to get used to a different keyset. but it actually sounds more convenient than using the first solution as on my notebook the placement of the home/end pgup/pgdn keys is at least weird
thanks for the hints!
Gockel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011, 20:08   #5
Frood
Rookie

Frood is on a distinguished road
The roguelike keyset is the best! You actually use hjkl and yubn to move around. Its not entirely intuitive at first (if you're not a regular vim user) but after you get used to it it's way better than the original keyset. The main advantage for me is that I can keep my hands in the "normal" position on the keyboard and still reach mostly every command.
Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011, 22:05   #6
Bodkin
Scout

Bodkin is on a distinguished road
I play on a notebook using the default (non-roguelike) keyset. I just retrained myself to use the number keys from the top row for movement -- that way I can still do everything from the homerow. It's surprisingly easy, even though you lose the metaphorical value of having your directional keys arranged like a compass rose. And it's easier than learning the entire roguelike keyset.

Then again, for me there's no difficulty with the Escape key. Not sure how I'd overcome that. Fortunately the problem doesn't seem to be inherent in the use of a notebook.
Bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011, 22:12   #7
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
You can use the backtick key (`) instead of ESC... they are interchangeable and backtick doesn't have the (potential) delay issues that ESC does.
Old April 7, 2011, 22:52   #8
Frood
Rookie

Frood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodkin View Post
I play on a notebook using the default (non-roguelike) keyset. I just retrained myself to use the number keys from the top row for movement -- that way I can still do everything from the homerow. It's surprisingly easy, even though you lose the metaphorical value of having your directional keys arranged like a compass rose. And it's easier than learning the entire roguelike keyset.
I used to play this way before switching to the roguelike keyset. I don't remember exactly but I think it is a bit tedious to run when playing with the top row numbers. Shift plus the number won't work I believe...?

I agree that it's easier, but I for me it was very much worth it to learn the roguelike keyset.
Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011, 23:24   #9
kingvictory2003
Scout

kingvictory2003 is on a distinguished road
I use a USB keypad that looks a lot like this one:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEcQ8gIwBg#

One of the best $15 I've ever spent for a notebook accessory.
kingvictory2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2011, 03:59   #10
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockel View Post
and on certain occasions graphical artifacts stay behind (e.g. when i use the look command, the yellow frame of the cursor stays continuously on every square i looked at).
This is a problem with double tile/big tile mode that has been recently introduced that only affects tile users (so is not likely to get fixed anytime soon).