AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old November 11, 2014, 10:04   #31
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
This is enough, especially if you've been careful about maintaining a good stock of CCW and Healing potions.
Those too were scarce in earlier versions. Only way to save enough of them is by running away from/avoiding everything even remotely dangerous, and that's boring.

In conclusion "forced diving = boring game, and then you die".
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014, 15:41   #32
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
In conclusion "forced diving = boring game, and then you die".
Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014, 17:13   #33
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
My favorite part of Angband gameplay is that it is so addicting,
My least favorite part of Angband gameplay is that... it is so addicting.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2014, 18:25   #34
Jax
Rookie

Jax is on a distinguished road
Favourite: Its hard (thats what she said). Youre forced to respect it or you die. You can set your own pace. Good replayability and set of options for your character start, and each time you need to rediscover everything. The insane power spikes that you get from items, and the insane powerspikes that the enemies seem to get too. money isnt the object of the game, and in fact doesnt matter at all.

Worst: Hounds. Playing 4 evenings in a row detecting meticulously and never missing a single beat except once and just dying losing all that gametime. I like the difficulty but sometimes i wish it wasnt so unforgiving for the time you invest in a character, its a long game. Things that can summon baddies worse than themselves. Disconnected stairs not being standard. Lack of items slots (i understand you can just dump all the low spellbooks and !sathunger !phase every time you recall, but when its a formality i wish i could just script it to a button)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2014, 18:43   #35
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Worst: Hounds.
If you're playing a new version, hounds are half as frequent as they were in the past, and pack sizes are about half as big. Yeah, back in the day, Angband was simply "hound slaying."
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2014, 19:50   #36
Jax
Rookie

Jax is on a distinguished road
They were the reason i stopped playing the slightly older 3.x versions in wait for 3.5.

I understand the point of them. To be the proverbial thorn in the side that makes some areas unpassable, and dont drop anything, or give much XP to make them as unappetizing as possible. Make you wade through mud in order to get to something if you really want it in some cases, i have no problem with this. In fact thinking about it its really the AI of hounds that makes my eye twitch. Always awake, never chase out of rooms and just hang around there so there is no way you can deal with them without taking a blast from 10 at once, make themselves about as awkward as possible to kill any of them. Think they could only be more annoying if they could pick up or trample items.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2014, 20:02   #37
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
It is possible to cope with them without getting blasted, but you have to lure them into a room they aren't already in, and then kill them as they try to run in and surround you. You'll still take a few hits, but better than trying to take them on in turf they already own.

And of course there's stuff like hitting them with ball spells, or waiting for them to randomly wander into LOS and then shooting them (they'll generally then walk back out of LOS rather than breathe on you). Or banishing them, if you have access to banishment. Being able to banish nuisance monsters is one of the big payoffs of getting a mage to high level.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014, 09:24   #38
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.
As is everybodys comment here. IMO "forced diving" should not be the base of the balancing because of that.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014, 12:02   #39
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Worst: Hounds.
Play MAngband sometimes. Almost 99% of high level character deaths are resumed by the following:

"You enter a maze of up staircases. The (insert your favorite canine race here -- time, plasma, chaos...) hound breathes (x20). You die."

I'm happy that in recent V versions, this is not possible anymore. It was plain stupid...
Old November 13, 2014, 15:39   #40
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
As is everybodys comment here. IMO "forced diving" should not be the base of the balancing because of that.
Ok, Timo. You're in charge of assigning allocation rates for items. What algorithm do you use to determine how much goes where? This isn't an idle question. Most of these things are in the edit files, and it may not be too difficult to test an alternate balance scheme on your ideas. Or even include it as an option.

This is extremely difficult, so if you want, maybe we can focus on two items, !stat gain and !healing. We can then compare your estimates against what's currently in the game. What should be the probability of finding !stat gain on any level (including monster drops) between 30-40, between 60-70 and between 90-100? Same with healing.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote