Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old April 20, 2011, 01:31   #21
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'm making statements of fact about how most players play, and yes, "most" is the right word to use here because I'm basing these statements on my observations of other players*. Of course you aren't including in that sample, but I didn't use the word "all"; I used "most". Greater than half, but not 100%, and that matches what I've seen here. If you have evidence to indicate that most players would dive into the dungeon with drained stats rather than townscum for restoratives, I'd like to see it because it goes against my personal observations.

As for respect, I got a definite "You're doing it wrong" vibe from your posts. I suppose I should have addressed your tone rather than your attitude, since tone is what comes through when posts are written. I apologize for implying that you didn't respect the developers.

* Okay granted I can only talk meaningfully about players who post here (and players who post to the ladder, which I occasionally check out) but I don't see a reason why that particular subsample should behave differently from the total population of Angband players in this particular respect. It's not like you need access to the community to figure out how to townscum. I remember townscumming the Black Market for mithril armor back when I was a tyke with no Internet access.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 01:35   #22
Netbrian
Adept

Netbrian is on a distinguished road
Speaking of Rod of Restoration, has the recharge time for this item been examined? I found one in 3.1.2, but it took an absolutely absurd length of time to recharge. It was effectively a glorified mushroom of vigor.
Netbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 02:40   #23
Spacebux
Adept

Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napsterbater View Post
That sounds like a great idea!

Code:
You have found the Maul of *Shock and Awe*
You hit Glenn Beck, Spawn of the Pit
Glenn Beck, Spawn of the Pit hits you with Mind Blasting
Don't get me started on Obama/Pelosi/Reid... the last thing you want me doing is ranting about *Hope and Change*...
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 02:55   #24
Spacebux
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* Okay granted I can only talk meaningfully about players who post here (and players who post to the ladder, which I occasionally check out) but I don't see a reason why that particular subsample should behave differently from the total population of Angband players in this particular respect. It's not like you need access to the community to figure out how to townscum. I remember townscumming the Black Market for mithril armor back when I was a tyke with no Internet access.
Obviously, I hit a sore spot among most of the readers and posters here.
I bet my fan club is huge.

Takkaria seems quite incensed.

Please note: I'm not trying to suggest this game is junk. If I thought that, I'd be posting elsewhere. Indeed, I have a whole list of ideas for the developers to ponder.
Old April 20, 2011, 03:08   #25
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Just be aware that many of the ideas you suggest may have been covered already in extensive conversations that you unfortunately weren't present for. Level feelings, spell distributions, stat drains, resistances, off-weapon combat boosts, identification, traps, and so on and so forth have all been covered in great detail on these forums. Sadly the conversations got a bit heated sometimes. You may be poking at coals without realizing it.

(Also, let's please keep politics off these forums. We really don't need that.)
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 03:53   #26
Napsterbater
Adept

Napsterbater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
(Also, let's please keep politics off these forums. We really don't need that.)
He started it!
Napsterbater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 19:52   #27
Rizwan
Swordsman

Rizwan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
... I'm interested in what I consider a more interesting game, with more varied mechanics ...
Then why not have both possibilities available. Instead of reducing and or replacing why not add and let the player choose which option they want to follow? So you could have stat restore potions in town as before and also stat restore on level up. You could have selling and buying in shops and also increased gold drops. This way players can choose what they want to do. I think the game is all about choice and if there are more choices then the enjoyment factor is increased, right?
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 19:56   #28
Spacebux
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizwan View Post
Then why not have both possibilities available. ... I think the game is all about choice and if there are more choices then the enjoyment factor is increased, right?
Bravo! Bravo!
Old April 20, 2011, 20:09   #29
Taha
Adept

Taha is on a distinguished road
Refer to the "making the game harder" thread, and the (many) TMJ threads -this would work against both.

Also, takk won't add it as an option.
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011 at 15:00.
Taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 20:19   #30
Rizwan
Swordsman

Rizwan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha View Post
Refer to the "making the game harder" thread, and the (many) TMJ threads -this would work against both.

Also, takk won't add it as an option.
You know when I wrote the word option I knew Takk wasn't going to like it
Apart from that though again its a choice, harder for those that want it that way and otherwise for the others and it wont increase the TMJ problem in the dungeon itself.
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character stat drains, stat hits