Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 20, 2011, 05:25   #1
ulrichvonbek
Apprentice

ulrichvonbek is on a distinguished road
Rod of healing, not as useful as I expected.

I got one early in the game, and I was really excited. I had never had one before. It did help me win a few fights that I would have had to run away from with high HP monsters early on, but I was really cautious about using it because of the 1000 turn recharge time.

I'm playing a Paladin, and now that I'm later in the game, I can just cast the spell as reliably as zapping the rod and since I've got some speed items, the player turns for recharge are now over 2500. I'm really tempted to just drop it. Any reason to hang onto it?
ulrichvonbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 05:47   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
For a paladin or priest? It's not so great. It's excellent for other classes who want to save all their healing potions for the endgame though. The main reason to save it would be that it restores 500HP instead of 300, and that it doesn't require mana. Whether that's worth losing an inventory slot is up to you.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 05:53   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
For a paladin or priest? It's not so great. It's excellent for other classes who want to save all their healing potions for the endgame though. The main reason to save it would be that it restores 500HP instead of 300, and that it doesn't require mana. Whether that's worth losing an inventory slot is up to you.
One thing why I love Crown of Gondor is that it also heals 500 points, Elessar does that too and if I have one of those rods I can heal three times in one fight without using any potions.

Too bad that my luck of finding Gondor has gone down.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 06:18   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Gondor's completely absurd. IMO it needs to lose the STR/CON boosts, or the activation.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 06:59   #5
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
I tend to collect rods of healing, even with paladins (it is not too unusual to find three or four of them).

If slots available, I store them in my home until endgame. A couple of rods can spare mana or potions and I had some pretty hard games with scarce potions where the rods came in handy.
Mondkalb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 07:06   #6
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Gondor's completely absurd. IMO it needs to lose the STR/CON boosts, or the activation.
Lose that SPEED. Gondor is rare enough that it can be excellent, but with that speed-bonus it becomes a no-brainer which is bad. Without SPEED it isn't much better than Crown of Might if you have rConf from other sources (and are not playing priest/paladin).

That crown is one of the old artifacts that nobody have complained being overpowered (partly because it is so rare) before it gain that speed bonus, so apparently that is what is making it overpowered.

There is nothing wrong about very powerful items, they just need to be rare enough to cause "wohoo!" -effect.

Which reminds me, artifact shields are too common in 3.2.0. I usually have found four of them before finding my first elvenkind shield, at which point elvenkind is useless. I'll start a new thread about these.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 13:58   #7
ulrichvonbek
Apprentice

ulrichvonbek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I tend to collect rods of healing, even with paladins
That makes sense to me, if I had two, I would feel completely different. Of course, that means if I do decide to get rid of it, the RNG will immediately send another my way just to torment me.
ulrichvonbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 14:44   #8
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichvonbek View Post
That makes sense to me, if I had two, I would feel completely different. Of course, that means if I do decide to get rid of it, the RNG will immediately send another my way just to torment me.
Right.

Saving a rod in your home on the chance that you see another can be nice. When playing warriors I'll save rods of identify in my home in case I can find 2-3, and then I'll start using them instead of scrolls/staves.
Old April 20, 2011, 14:47   #9
Spacebux
Adept

Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichvonbek View Post
... the player turns for recharge are now over 2500. I'm really tempted to just drop it. Any reason to hang onto it?
Drop it.

The Rod of Healing is a wasted item in its current form. Not unless you happen into finding 4 or 5 more to make the slot useful, it's a wasted slot. You're much, much, much better off stacking potions of *healing* - no failure (can't fail to quaff!), easier to replenish/stack, and even if you don't have ImmCold, there isn't that great a danger to losing them.

If the kind developers (note, I need to kiss some @ss after my last few posts) were to reduce the recharge rates for the Rod of Healing, it may be useful in future revisions.
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 15:02   #10
Taha
Adept

Taha is on a distinguished road
Rods of identify are actually useful now, relatively quick recharge (8 turns?) means it can be functional even with only one.
________
VAPORIZERS

Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011 at 15:00.
Taha is offline   Reply With Quote