Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 20, 2018, 11:17   #281
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Its not like I didnt get where the pukelman shape is coming from. Its more that I find moving stone statue unfitting unless empowered by "bad" arcane magic. And I dont think they defend anything in the books.
Here's what I was basing it on - it's not a perfect match, but it's not far off.
Old January 20, 2018, 15:27   #282
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
i am now grinding for that one legendary dragon armor (i've already found a power dragon sm but it just won't cut it) and here's my thoughts on the druid.

1. it really makes things easier if every mob you fight is confused

2. you will spend most of the game in fox form
sometimes you ID items you walk on, other times you don't. i suggest being able to see items, but not use them.
the command to come out of fox form (m+y) doesn't work if you are blinded or confused, but Quaff does. (q-> do you want to change form->y)

3. the endgame spells are .. ok, but nothing to write home about.
the ice storm LOS spell is cool to clear vaults and pits and annoying townsfolk. you can kill big stuff with meteor swarm and rift if you want, but you could instead just shapeshift and hit them with your axe.

i'm not sure what pukelman and bear shape are supposed to do, when fox form gives you +5 spd and +1 blows.

4. rivitalize is fantastic, and herbal heal is fine as it is, considering how little you pay for restore.

probing, polymorph, mass sleep and mass confuse are useless, but earthquake is the closest thing to a "block corridor" spell and i escaped a bunch of angry mobs because of it.

because you only use utility spells, except fox form, sense surroundings, and the heal + restore spells, you don't really need mana. i completely ignored WIS in favour of bonk-on-the-head stats and just melee'd everything. plays just like a paladin, with added plasma breath.
Old January 20, 2018, 22:49   #283
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post

i'm not sure what pukelman and bear shape are supposed to do, when fox form gives you +5 spd and +1 blows.
I completely missed that +1 attack. I saw a stealth bonus and jumped to the conclusion that fox was a sneaky shape.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018, 22:58   #284
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
i am now grinding for that one legendary dragon armor (i've already found a power dragon sm but it just won't cut it) and here's my thoughts on the druid.
Thanks a lot, this is very helpful.

Quote:
1. it really makes things easier if every mob you fight is confused
Right, so Confuse Monster is worth it?

Quote:
2. you will spend most of the game in fox form
sometimes you ID items you walk on, other times you don't. i suggest being able to see items, but not use them.
the command to come out of fox form (m+y) doesn't work if you are blinded or confused, but Quaff does. (q-> do you want to change form->y)
Good point about the shapechange back. Looks like I need to nerf the fox

Quote:
3. the endgame spells are .. ok, but nothing to write home about.
the ice storm LOS spell is cool to clear vaults and pits and annoying townsfolk. you can kill big stuff with meteor swarm and rift if you want, but you could instead just shapeshift and hit them with your axe.
I'm probably OK with that.

Quote:
Bear is meant to be specifically for melee, and pukelman (especially as it is in the recent changes) is good for wading through lots of minor enemies - hounds, trolls, etc.

Quote:
4. rivitalize is fantastic, and herbal heal is fine as it is, considering how little you pay for restore.
I've changed herbal healing to heal over time - handy for casting before shapechange, and a point of difference from priest healing.

Quote:
probing, polymorph, mass sleep and mass confuse are useless, but earthquake is the closest thing to a "block corridor" spell and i escaped a bunch of angry mobs because of it.
I have ditched polymorph, probing and mass confuse, but mass sleep has been improved (it no longer wakes eveerything up and then tries to put it back to sleep). Earthquake (the druid spell only) I have made smaller area of effect and targetable, so it should work even better as "block corridor".

Quote:
because you only use utility spells, except fox form, sense surroundings, and the heal + restore spells, you don't really need mana. i completely ignored WIS in favour of bonk-on-the-head stats and just melee'd everything. plays just like a paladin, with added plasma breath.
Yes, that's interesting. We'll see how playstyles evolve.
Old January 22, 2018, 10:12   #285
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Good point about the shapechange back. Looks like I need to nerf the fox
In PWMAngband, shapechangers have their hps changed depending on the monster they polymorph into with formula being 60% of character hp + 40% of monster hp. If you use a form with low hps, you get a big decrease in hps. You could do that in V, with fox getting low hps and bear getting high hps. That would nerf the fox and make the bear more useful.
Old January 24, 2018, 23:51   #286
Hrrunstar
Rookie

Hrrunstar is on a distinguished road
For the 61 version:

when browsing priest spell Heroism (8th lvl human Priest), info states "heal 10; dur d-11". What is "dur d-11" supposed to be?

Also, wandering blind, 'caus no light, so casting light ran out of SP could not recover SP from 0 while waiting (this may be intermittent), only by going up/down stairs, expected behavior?

It is not possible to sense stairs when blind, intended?

Last edited by Hrrunstar; January 25, 2018 at 01:34.
Hrrunstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018, 01:38   #287
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
your SP do recover, but the counter does not move.
Old January 25, 2018, 02:50   #288
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I don't know about you, but for a significant part of the game (basically: getting more than 2 blows and low fail for Heal), priest and mage are pretty different. That said, I agree Priest Orb spell makes for much too similar play. But Orb is not the whole game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
(2)take the two generally similar pure casters currently in existence (mage/priest) and make four dissimilar pure casters utilizing one of the four themed realms (arcane/nature/holy/death). I believe Nick said earlier in the thread that there isn't necessarily an intention to make a hybrid caster for each realm just for the sake of having one.

Note: "Dissimilar" above meaning the play styles differ in significant ways, unlike the mage/priest distinction.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018, 00:49   #289
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
There's a great deal about these changes that doesn't sit right with me, but I would like to say this:

If you are dead set on removing light-based spells from the mage class (I think this would be a mistake), can we give them a spell to temporarily increase their infravision? Significantly (50' or more) and early in the game (level 5 or below).
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018, 07:21   #290
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrrunstar View Post
when browsing priest spell Heroism (8th lvl human Priest), info states "heal 10; dur d-11". What is "dur d-11" supposed to be?
Bug in the description - the full heroism effect doesn't actually kick in until CL20 (until then it's just remove fear and 10HP), but the spell description is being dumb and saying you get -11 turns.

Quote:
Also, wandering blind, 'caus no light, so casting light ran out of SP could not recover SP from 0 while waiting (this may be intermittent), only by going up/down stairs, expected behavior?
So no matter how long you waited it didn't recover?

Quote:
It is not possible to sense stairs when blind, intended?
Traditionally true, I think, but worth thinking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
There's a great deal about these changes that doesn't sit right with me, but I would like to say this:

If you are dead set on removing light-based spells from the mage class (I think this would be a mistake), can we give them a spell to temporarily increase their infravision? Significantly (50' or more) and early in the game (level 5 or below).
Surprisingly reticent, Gwarl - tell me all your complaints, I can take it

I've been doing some rewriting of the effects code to make class.txt easier to understand; hope to get an update out this weekend with at least that in it.