Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 12, 2007, 20:11   #1
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis Send a message via Skype™ to ekolis
Light weapons should be harder to enchant to-dam, heavy ones to-hit

So I started a character and forgot to spend my stat points... Wee, 4800 free gold! I spent most of the gold on scrolls of enchant weapon, and to my surprise, I was able to enchant a simple whip up to (+5, +9) with only one failed enchantment. That seems rather strange... a 1d3 whip with +9 to damage? Perhaps the enchantment "limits" could be changed as follows, rather than being the same for all weapons. (Note that I don't know what the limits are, only that there are limits beyond which it is very hard to enchant a weapon, so the numbers might need a bit of fiddling )

* Weapons which do less damage are harder to enchant with more damage: make the enchantment limit proportional to the average/expected damage of the weapon (e.g. if a 1d3 whip can be enchanted to +2 without a chance of failure, then a 3d4 lead-filled mace could be enchanted to +5 without a chance of failure).

* Weapons which are harder to hit with are harder to enchant with more to-hit bonuses: make the enchantment limit inversely proportional to the weight of the weapon (e.g. if a 3 lb. whip can be enchanted to +9 without a chance of failure, a 15 lb. lead-filled mace could be enchanted to +3 without a chance of failure).

I think this would help with the "get the most blows" syndrome that has plagued V - you'd have to decide, do you want a weapon that you can hit with all the time but barely do any damage, or a weapon that you can smash anything with, but can't hit the broad side of a mature dragon with?
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2007, 20:41   #2
Elsairon
Adept

Elsairon is on a distinguished road
I think this is a good idea in general, but as [V] stands now it will only really help with starting weapons and maybe boosting a good ego item or low artifact.

As far as I know most end game equipment is usually way beyond enchantability anyway, the bonuses already being quite high.
Elsairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2007, 20:52   #3
AR_chie
Apprentice

AR_chie is on a distinguished road
mayby, after gaining some level of enchantment (for example 5) there should appear some chance to destroy weapon (and making some wounds to player also). Herbal enchantement would be safer than normal.
AR_chie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2007, 21:26   #4
Elsairon
Adept

Elsairon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_chie View Post
mayby, after gaining some level of enchantment (for example 5) there should appear some chance to destroy weapon (and making some wounds to player also). Herbal enchantement would be safer than normal.
This might make an awesome addition! At least making enchantment a more profitable and potentially dangerous (and therefore more interesting) sub-game.

Perhaps reading a number of enchantment scrolls on a single weapon adds a number of 'charges'. Each item is generated with a maximum charge potential (hidden from the player).

As the player enchants an item they get various random messages about the results.

You read a scroll of enchantment (f). -more-

Your weapon glows faintly. -more-

You read a scroll of enchantment. Your weapon glows brightly. -more- ...

Your weapon glows brillantly! -more-

Your weapon shudders faintly! -more-

Your weapon sparks violently! -more-

Your weapon vibrates alarmingly!-more-

Your weapon explodes!

You have (5) scrolls of enchantment (f) remaining.

Allow someone a chance to boost the item bonuses a bit higher, with an increasing change of totally losing the item. Perhaps each +1 to the weapon requires more and more scrolls to enchant as the charges accumulate. At some point the player is taking a gamble. Do I read one more scroll and hope for the +17 gear, or risk losing my +16 gear?

You read a scroll of enchantment. Nothing appears to happen -more-
Elsairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2007, 23:54   #5
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekolis View Post
So I started a character and forgot to spend my stat points... Wee, 4800 free gold! I spent most of the gold on scrolls of enchant weapon, and to my surprise, I was able to enchant a simple whip up to (+5, +9) with only one failed enchantment. That seems rather strange... a 1d3 whip with +9 to damage? Perhaps the enchantment "limits" could be changed as follows, rather than being the same for all weapons. (Note that I don't know what the limits are, only that there are limits beyond which it is very hard to enchant a weapon, so the numbers might need a bit of fiddling )

* Weapons which do less damage are harder to enchant with more damage: make the enchantment limit proportional to the average/expected damage of the weapon (e.g. if a 1d3 whip can be enchanted to +2 without a chance of failure, then a 3d4 lead-filled mace could be enchanted to +5 without a chance of failure).
I think my preferred solution would be weapons getting harder to enchant when you get close to the max damage they do, and impossible 1/3 max damage after that, so 1d3 whip can be enchanted to 3, maxes at 4, 3d4 mace can be enchanted to 12, maxes at 16...

Quote:
* Weapons which are harder to hit with are harder to enchant with more to-hit bonuses: make the enchantment limit inversely proportional to the weight of the weapon (e.g. if a 3 lb. whip can be enchanted to +9 without a chance of failure, a 15 lb. lead-filled mace could be enchanted to +3 without a chance of failure).
But heavier weapons don't make a difference to hit value. Just to blows. Unless I really don't understand how the game works...
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007, 00:05   #6
Faust
Adept

Faust is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekolis View Post
(Note that I don't know what the limits are, only that there are limits beyond which it is very hard to enchant a weapon, so the numbers might need a bit of fiddling )
from the spoilers
Quote:
ENCHANTING WEAPONS AND ARMOUR
-----------------------------

To determine the chance of a successful enchant, take the current
magical bonus and find the base chance of success on the following
table.

Current Base Current Base
Bonus Success Bonus Success
------------------- -------------------
+0 or less 100.0% +8 30.0%
+1 99.0% +9 5.0%
+2 95.0% +10 1.0%
+3 90.0% +11 0.8%
+4 80.0% +12 0.5%
+5 70.0% +13 0.3%
+6 60.0% +14 0.1%
+7 50.0% +15 or more 0.0%

If the object being enchanted is an artifact, the chance for success
is cut in half.

Enchanting a stack of weapons or armour is more difficult. For
anything but ammunition, the chance for a successful enchantment is
divided by a number equal to the number of objects in the stack.
(Example: enchanting 10 +0,+0 long swords will succeed only 10% of the
time).
For ammunition, 1d(pieces of ammo) is rolled; if this number is 20 or
less, and the base success percentage roll succeeds, the enchantment
is successful. (Example: a scroll of Enchant Weapon To-Dam used on a
stack of 30 +6,+6 bolts will pass this first roll 20 in 30 times; then
the 60% chance for succesfully enchanting from +6 has to be passed as
well. These two rolls combined take the chance of succes to 40%).
Hope that helps
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007, 00:30   #7
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis Send a message via Skype™ to ekolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
But heavier weapons don't make a difference to hit value. Just to blows. Unless I really don't understand how the game works...
Oh, right... I guess I was just getting carried away with my balancing ideas :P
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007, 13:55   #8
Faust
Adept

Faust is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I think my preferred solution would be weapons getting harder to enchant when you get close to the max damage they do, and impossible 1/3 max damage after that, so 1d3 whip can be enchanted to 3, maxes at 4, 3d4 mace can be enchanted to 12, maxes at 16...
This sounds like a good idea, but exceptions would have to be made for ego's & artifacts.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007, 16:56   #9
SocietalEclipse
Rookie

SocietalEclipse is on a distinguished road
If I had known I had a 5% chance to get to +10 I would have done it more often. I always thought +9 was the max.
SocietalEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007, 17:30   #10
ajps
Apprentice

ajps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
This sounds like a good idea, but exceptions would have to be made for ego's & artifacts.
Well, they come pre-enchanted. I took it to mean that only player enchantments would be subject to these limits. Extra special items would presumably continue to be extra special.
ajps is offline   Reply With Quote