AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 25, 2011, 03:14   #101
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
Yes. In target.c, two static functions called draw_path and load_path. Each one is called twice, in various parts of target_set_interactive. I lied above. It might be 50 lines of code and about a 6 minute task to make a patch, far greater than than my earlier estimate.

For Sangband, you are probably better off taking it from NPP 050 than the current version. I had to make a couple changes to make it work when I updated the NPP codebase to Angband v.3.1.2.
Thanks, I'll do that.
Old April 25, 2011, 09:28   #102
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
As long as V is borrowing stuff from NPP, is there any chance that V could get NPP's Ainur in place of Angels?

I think the NPP guys have put actually quite a lot of work into developing Ainur (both thematically and gameplay).

And I cannot get my head around killing the Archangel Gabriel anywhere let alone in the Pits of Angband.

A.
Old April 25, 2011, 09:59   #103
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
As long as V is borrowing stuff from NPP, is there any chance that V could get NPP's Ainur in place of Angels?

I think the NPP guys have put actually quite a lot of work into developing Ainur (both thematically and gameplay).

And I cannot get my head around killing the Archangel Gabriel anywhere let alone in the Pits of Angband.

A.
Yeah, this would be nice, and O has put a lot of work into cleaning up the monster list as well, so maybe incorporating some of this could be nice. O removed angels completely, but maybe ainur could work nice. O also added a very fun monster: Crows of Durthang. Ever met these?
Code:
The Crow of Durthang (L.Dark 'B')
=== Num:114 Lev:7 Rar:3 Spd:+10 Hp:3d7 Ac:16 Exp:20
 A crook-beaked bird with bedraggled black feathers. It mocks you, and you realise that its scorn can kill. This natural 
creature moves normally. It usually appears in groups. It is magical, casting spells which cause light wounds; 1 time in 9. 
It takes quite a while to see intruders, which it may notice from 250 feet. It can bite to attack with damage 1d3, and claw
 to attack with damage 1d2. (OAngband 0.6.1)
I could swear I find them on dlevel 1 all the time, with a superb feeling. 3d7 hitpoints doesn't sound like much, does it? That's around 3 or 4 magic missiles on average. On the other hand, this also means it would take around 35 mana to take them down. Also, you'd have been cursed to death by then. A warrior might have a chance, but he'd be worn down even if he were behind a corner. So you need a level 10 warrior to deal with these, at least. With a lot of CCW. A mage? level 20. This can appear on dlevel 1. But O deals with monsters fairly well. Npp probably does as well. V is not so good, mostly with angels, which can be stolen from NPP.
EDIT: Had to edit because the post was looking weird because of the CODE tags.
EDIT2: The last sentence about the V monster list was harsh, didn't mean anything bad, just that I prefer the O monster list.

Last edited by Philip; April 25, 2011 at 12:05.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2011, 04:53   #104
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post

Yes, this. One of the first things I did when making my own variant was remove angels, because they completely don't make any sense to be in Angband. Ainur fits in the Tolkien theme and even fits the letter symbol. (DAJ replaced angels with apes which I don't suggest for V. Obviously, it doesn't fit as well as Ainur, but I didn't remember what Ainur were and didn't feel like doing the research.)

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2011, 04:56   #105
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
Yes, this. One of the first things I did when making my own variant was remove angels, because they completely don't make any sense to be in Angband. Ainur fits in the Tolkien theme and even fits the letter symbol. (DAJ replaced angels with apes which I don't suggest for V. Obviously, it doesn't fit as well as Ainur, but I didn't remember what Ainur were and didn't feel like doing the research.)
I found a recent thread where Jeff was even offering to update the monster.txt...

A.