Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 22, 2009, 13:49   #1
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Rings of escaping affect spell failure??

Inspecting my ring of escaping says:

+4 speed.
Makes you unable to hit foes.

... I understand that latter sentence to mean -20 to-hit. It turns out that it also affects my spell failure rates quite dramatically: book 1 goes from 6/6/6/9/17/6/32 to 6/15/26/29/37/13/50!

Is this intentional? If it is, please can we have it noted in the item description!
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 21:26   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Hup. Takkaria?
Old May 23, 2009, 22:23   #3
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Hup. Takkaria?
He's kind of busy these days, but it's an obvious improvement. Those rings were way too powerful. They need to have some kind of a penalty for a pure spellcaster. That kind of change could only be intentional. I wonder if it applies to monster induced fear as well.

BTW - the -20 is to missiles. You cannot melee at all.

Doc, which includes descriptions, is often out of touch in an ongoing project.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 23:43   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
He's kind of busy these days, but it's an obvious improvement. Those rings were way too powerful. They need to have some kind of a penalty for a pure spellcaster. That kind of change could only be intentional. I wonder if it applies to monster induced fear as well.

BTW - the -20 is to missiles. You cannot melee at all.

Doc, which includes descriptions, is often out of touch in an ongoing project.
That's fine - I'm happy to update the description.

If you can't melee at all, the character display should show something other than your normal melee to-hit bonus minus 20 ...
Old May 24, 2009, 01:20   #5
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
That's fine - I'm happy to update the description.

If you can't melee at all, the character display should show something other than your normal melee to-hit bonus minus 20 ...
I haven't looked, but I assume it is a part of "status of magical fear". So in principle it should be enough to say "makes you *afraid*". OH - I agree something should change on the 'C' screen.

OTOH, I think the penalties should be additive, rather than flags. You shouldn't get to wield the second escape ring for free. Instead of failure rate increase from fear status, I'd rather see a "no melee" flag and -20 to hit in conjunction with -4 to spellstats and get rid of "fear" on the ring.

That's more flags, but there are still a few unused flag slots, and some time in the not too distant future the codebase should become robust enough to add more flags with ease.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 01:40   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I haven't looked, but I assume it is a part of "status of magical fear". So in principle it should be enough to say "makes you *afraid*". OH - I agree something should change on the 'C' screen.

OTOH, I think the penalties should be additive, rather than flags. You shouldn't get to wield the second escape ring for free. Instead of failure rate increase from fear status, I'd rather see a "no melee" flag and -20 to hit in conjunction with -4 to spellstats and get rid of "fear" on the ring.

That's more flags, but there are still a few unused flag slots, and some time in the not too distant future the codebase should become robust enough to add more flags with ease.
I agree with you. An interim fix is in r1414.
Old May 24, 2009, 04:45   #7
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
As a added disincentive to abuse such an item, you could make the fear persist for a period of time even after the ring was removed. That would turn it into something that you wouldn't casually play around with.
Old May 24, 2009, 05:29   #8
Atarlost
Swordsman

Atarlost is on a distinguished road
I suspect that would cross the line from "useful in certain situations" to "not worth it". When you really want to escape you don't run. You teleport. The niche for the ring of escaping is therefore not escape but avoidance. It's the sort of item you wear by default so if you detect something nasty you can hightail it out of there before it wakes up without taking the risk of teleport landing you in the fire. It's therefore the type of item that's worthless if you can't pull it off, put on your +dam ring and start fighting. If you wear the +dam by default you need to take an action to switch to the escaping ring and that first turn of running away is the most dangerous because you're closest to the scary monster.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:53   #9
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Plus they are already overly gimped anyway, and we need to make them better, not worse. The best one of these I've yet seen was +4 speed, and I would have worn it with any two of no melee, -20 to archery and +20 to spell failure. But with all three I never wore it.
Old May 24, 2009, 18:11   #10
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarlost View Post
I suspect that would cross the line from "useful in certain situations" to "not worth it".
Once Teleport is common and/or affordable it should be used, before then you have the less effective but still very useful Phase Door. I fear this ring may become an "early ring of speed" which really isn't necessary.

I guess I missed the whole point of it. I was really thinking of it as "useful for escaping" (monsters of normal speed), not a tactical tool. It appears fairly early, before fast movers are common, and provides a bit of permanent speed, something that normally (outside of potions) isn't found until much, much deeper. Maybe the name could use a tweak.