Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old November 29, 2018, 22:55   #11
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
So down to about 800' & I felt like arrow drops early on might be too plentiful? too many early, not enough late is how it seemed. Maybe I'm misjudging my elf can hit in melee so is using less then a pure archer.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2018, 23:22   #12
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angriath View Post
Just dumped my latest and most successful playthrough thus far, it was originally a melee character but I changed to archery when I found some gear that boosted it and I enjoyed trying it out. Archery was really effective until I got to about 700 feet, after that there were lots of shadow enemies I had to deal with that I was spamming arrows at but couldn't really hit or do enough damage to, the serpents posed quite a problem too so I guess I should have taken up dedication and put some more points into archery rather than branching out as much as I did. I took the songs just to experiment on what they did because I figured they would compliment archery but I couldn't find much use for the ones I had.
Serpents have a lot of armour but not many hps. With a bow it's either filling it with arrows till you get lucky or having the accuracy to crit hard in the 1st place. One thing you can consider is rakuo-bane is less necessary when you're an archer & serpent-bane is a godsend for getting through an ancient serpents armour. You went heavy armour? There I normally hit them if they come close & tank it till they wander back & I can shoot. So I'd prefer a shield (you're going to have a harder time getting weight for heavy armour use without anyway). Anyway just putting a couple of other options out there.

& whispering shadows are just horrible if you have bad stealth.
Old November 30, 2018, 10:41   #13
wobbly
Veteran

Staying is ridiculous at the moment. I get 33 will which is probably FA against Morgoth, 1-5 from hardiness, 6 levels of crit resist. the 2d2 straight protection is probably about right, the rest.. anyway I've got majesty so it should be interesting.
Old November 30, 2018, 21:18   #14
Quirk
Adept

Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Staying is ridiculous at the moment. I get 33 will which is probably FA against Morgoth, 1-5 from hardiness, 6 levels of crit resist. the 2d2 straight protection is probably about right, the rest.. anyway I've got majesty so it should be interesting.
So that's what, 14 Song, 19 Will, with 7 Grace?

Let's see. Hardiness/Crit Resist alone gets you 1-3 prot, 3 levels of crit resist.
Old Staying takes you to 23 Will, gives 2-7 prot, 4 levels of crit resist.
New Staying is 33 Will, 3-9 prot, 6 levels of crit resist. I mean yeah, this is pretty good, but it takes three skills to get this and you're back to 1-3 prot when your voice runs out.

I imagine Majesty is pretty potent though.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2018, 04:08   #15
Angriath
Rookie

Angriath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Serpents have a lot of armour but not many hps. With a bow it's either filling it with arrows till you get lucky or having the accuracy to crit hard in the 1st place. One thing you can consider is rakuo-bane is less necessary when you're an archer & serpent-bane is a godsend for getting through an ancient serpents armour.
Thanks for the ideas, I passed up a dragon bow because I figured 2d8 would be more useful than 1d12 (or whatever it was) but I think that probably would have helped me out along with improving my light and ability to see targets like Quirk mentioned. I'll probably pass up on heavy armour next time too and just try to make my evasion higher though I wonder then if I'll end up getting one shotted later on or something.
Angriath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2018, 14:58   #16
wobbly
Veteran

I quit & checked there are no down stairs on this level. Forced decent ironically.

http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=4555
Old December 2, 2018, 20:35   #17
Quirk
Adept

Quote:
I quit & checked there are no down stairs on this level. Forced decent ironically.

http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=4555
Hrm. That's a problem. I need to check that the new rubble generation isn't killing stairs. Thanks for giving me the screenshot.
Old December 13, 2018, 08:03   #18
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
I encountered a really weird problem after escaping Morgoth's throne room with Morgoth still alive on the latest Sil-Q on Angband.Live. I made it to the Throne Room, took out two Sils, and took Morgoth's Crown with me out of the Throne Room with Morgoth still alive and he was literally no where in sight. For some reason unbeknownst to me, Morgoth didn't chase after me. I did try to go back to the Throne Room, and of course, I ended up in another 950ft floor (and also forgot to take the Crown with me), and again, Morgoth did not follow me and he's nowhere to be found. Am I missing something?! I have yet to see what happens when I ascend more.

Edit: To clarify Morgoth was still alive when all this happened

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as YggdrasilTid (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My most recent good try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; December 13, 2018 at 13:25.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018, 08:04   #19
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Also, another minor bug:
When you start the game, the game occasionally starts the player on top of rubble.

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as YggdrasilTid (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My most recent good try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018, 16:43   #20
Quirk
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
I encountered a really weird problem after escaping Morgoth's throne room with Morgoth still alive on the latest Sil-Q on Angband.Live. I made it to the Throne Room, took out two Sils, and took Morgoth's Crown with me out of the Throne Room with Morgoth still alive and he was literally no where in sight. For some reason unbeknownst to me, Morgoth didn't chase after me. I did try to go back to the Throne Room, and of course, I ended up in another 950ft floor (and also forgot to take the Crown with me), and again, Morgoth did not follow me and he's nowhere to be found. Am I missing something?! I have yet to see what happens when I ascend more.

Edit: To clarify Morgoth was still alive when all this happened
Just to clarify, you escaped carrying the crown? Nice. I'll look into it and try to figure out what happened and whether it's a new issue or has been around for a while.

A bug I have found is that code meant to make Morgoth sing the song of piercing on the ascent has been pointing to a spell spot that has been rearranged and is now hitting the new phantom dim code, so if you have heard whispering like a phantom is about, Morgoth is out there somewhere.

I'll also have a look at the stairs down at 950, I don't think you should be able to return to the throne room but generating a new 950 is also kind of unsatisfactory.

Last edited by Quirk; Yesterday at 03:44. Reason: Unfairly blamed original Sil - having double checked this bug is all on me.