AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 28, 2011, 21:14   #41
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I think that is harsh on warriors. My warriors like to carry more than 25 ?phase in the final battle, for example. Also, I think that the vast majority of ammo drops should fit into a single slot. I think 40 is a better number, at least for the first experiments.
We may very well relax it back to 40... we're trying 25 in master right now. I'm just interested to see if people find the current master still too boring/easy, or if the pendulum has swung the other way.
Old September 29, 2011, 06:50   #42
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
I have been thinking that removing the "recall depth" and having recall depth return you to max_depth might be a good thing to consider.

recall_depth came about before the JLE patch (before 2.8.3) when there was a big jump in monster danger right after stat gain (1800 to 2000).
Really? I thought that was much later addition.

(quick test...) 2.8.3h doesn't allow setting recall, it takes you to deepest level you have been.

(reading changes.txt -files) Changes.txt mentions resetting recall only after 3.0.

I think there was a period of time when recall did bring you to level you last used it, not the deepest, but without asking player if he wants to reset recall. I might remember that wrong though. Maybe that was discussed in newsgroup, but never implemented.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2011, 17:12   #43
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Object-specific stack sizes?

So, I really like the new restricted stack sizes - 25 seems about right for ammo, and I definitely think it makes inventory management more of a challenge. But I actually think stack sizes for objects in the pack could potentially go even lower.

In my current game I managed to come across enough food to go over the maximum (have I mentioned that I think food is way too plentiful?) and that made me realise that really, it's kind of weird that you should be able to carry a stack of 25 meals in one pack slot in the first place. What about dividing the types of objects into "small", "medium", and "large" in terms of bulk, and allowing different maximums accordingly? So, say, ammo or scrolls might fit 25 to a pack slot, but you could only get 15 potions or 5 staves in the same space.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2011, 18:31   #44
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
You could perhaps do this by weight too. Anything less than three a certain minimum weight will stack to 25, progressively heavier items would only have smaller stacks. This might be easier than creating another flag or whatever for bulk.
Old October 12, 2011, 21:10   #45
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Played a bit of FK for a while, sadly my savefile crashed but the biggest difficulty change I noticed was the lack of monsters acting smarter in groups, this made even a group of cave spiders really dangerous. They all keep attacking and are fast enough that you don't even get a chance to close the door. I can imagine this makes high level hounds brutal. I like the new pack A.I a lot, but maybe have them chase you until you're a higher level than them ,then switch to pack intelligence. I remember breeders used to be a lot more deadly too. And I miss being instakilled by traps at low levels X)
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2011, 04:28   #46
Old Coach
Apprentice

Old Coach is on a distinguished road
I would like to offer my two cents as an avid fan since playing Moria in '89 and most iterations since.

1.) Breeders don't inspire the same kind of terror when they go active as in the past. Louses and Vorpal bunnies were always tense. Especially with a low level fighter... "Can I get there before it wakes up? Should I shoot at it? What if I miss?" In my opinion the breeders should be a little more deadly starting around level 5, and fear inspiring at dl 20 and lower.

2.) Artifact drop rate too high, but they have such awesome flavor that they should not be removed. The birth option to remove is fine with me, as it gives me a more challenging game if I want it.

3.) Identify is too easy and common. It is always fun to experiment with unknown wands and staffs, or to try on rings, helms, etc. without knowing what will happen. It adds a little tension and suspense. One staff that was particularly entertaining was the staff of polymorph. It was always an attention grabber when you were using an unknown staff in a room full of low level monsters and it turned out to be a polymorph staff. Suddenly all of those breeding l's turned into D's or L's. We used to play a little roulette with those staffs and let a room fill up with worm masses or louse. Step into the doorway and pop off the staff and see what kinds of terror and horribly out of depth monsters we could generate. Perhaps make identify scrolls much less plentiful in town, increase rarity of staffs and scrolls in dungeon, don't stack them. It might be good for storekeepers to refuse to purchase unidentified items, or not reveal what they are upon purchase.
Finally, maybe make learning identify spell a bit tougher, higher lvl, higher book number, etc.

4.) Mushrooms were more exciting, as the bad ones could be very bad, and the good ones very good. Again, not having easily accessible identify measures made the 'shrooms more exciting. Some mushrooms should be awesome so that you are willing to risk trying the potentially very nasty ones.

5.) Poison was very scary. Anything that could breathe it kept you on the edge of your seat.

6.) there were more varieties of stationary monster mushroom patches and they could breed. However, I was maddened nearly to the point of editing their flags with the breeding magic mushroom patches. They are just fine now without that breeding flag, thank you very much.

All in all, you devs are doing a fantastic job evolving the game, and I continue to get hours of pleasure from it. But, like a lot of people around here I gather, I think it has become a little too easy to win.
Old Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2011, 23:41   #47
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
I think ID is common because there are a ton of item drops. Last I heard, consumables were too common, and IMO, we can always stand to drop fewer unused armors and weapons. I say drop the drop rate. And add in safe ID-by-use. And then make ID scarce.
Old October 14, 2011, 08:52   #48
Narvius
Knight

Narvius is on a distinguished road
As far as I'm aware phasing out magical means of identifications is actually planned.
Old October 14, 2011, 15:59   #49
Innertällmo
Rookie

Innertällmo is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, making identify more rare would not make the game much harder, but much more tedious.

Making poision resist very rare until the same level where AMHD and drolem appears is a good idea. This was the case in the early versions and added a step of increased difficulty. I lost a lot of characters to drolems in the early days.

Can something be done to the inflated rate of xp gain? It seems way too easy to reach max level. Increasing the xp requirement for max level with a factor of 10 does not seem unreasonable. The increase may have to be gradual though - 230 xp to reach level 2 for a high elf ranger may be too much. Maggot's dog will score a lot of kills

The initial stats could also be lowered. All characters starting with all stats at 10 and only racial and class modifications added would make the early game more interesting. The stat rolling has anyway been toned down with the introduction of the point based system.
Innertällmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2011, 20:33   #50
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innertällmo View Post
In my opinion, making identify more rare would not make the game much harder, but much more tedious.
If magnate's affixes branch does pan out, and most of us are hoping it will, then it really forces us to look closer at how we deal with ID. The rune-based-id is looking a lot more appealing. The idea is once you know one item with 'feather falling' you know all items with 'feather falling.' Then ID can be removed completely. The only remaining issues are 'curse weapon, curse armor' and possibly summoning (although I don't think the summons are a problem)

Quote:
Can something be done to the inflated rate of xp gain? It seems way too easy to reach max level. Increasing the xp requirement for max level with a factor of 10 does not seem unreasonable. The increase may have to be gradual though - 230 xp to reach level 2 for a high elf ranger may be too much. Maggot's dog will score a lot of kills
I don't actually find the XP gain a problem. I haven't heard too many other people complaining about it either. It actually works reasonably well from my gameplay perspective.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote