AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old August 23, 2014, 02:03   #31
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Thanks to myshkin for complaining about how awful hounds were in earlier versions \o/

To be fair, I think fizzix was the hound-complainer.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014, 13:20   #32
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin View Post
To be fair, I think fizzix was the hound-complainer.
Dare I say it, but I feel they might have been 'over-nerfed'...
(sorry)
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2014, 00:44   #33
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
I also want to thank everyone involved with that- very interesting.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2014, 17:19   #34
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Dare I say it, but I feel they might have been 'over-nerfed'...
(sorry)
There were actually two nerfs to hounds. The first (magnate's) was to knock their rarity down one, so they show up less often. You'll get about 1 group per level in hound territory, where in the past you'd get 3-4.

The second nerf was an overall reduction in pack size which came to the massive overhaul to how group monsters are spawned, this one was my fault. But it came with a lot of input from players that groups sizes were just too large on average.

There also was a neutral change with the introduction of pack AI. It's not clear whether its a nerf or a buff. It certainly makes hounds easier to deal with if you can 1-shot melee them, but harder to deal with if you can't.

In both (clear nerfing) cases, the reasons for nerfing was not difficulty issues. It's that doing the same thing over and over again is really tedious. This is true not just for hounds, but also for orcs and trolls and other monsters that come in large groups. In other words, dealing with a 10-15 size pack of light hounds once a game when you don't have rlight or rblind is reasonably interesting. Doing it 7 times to 25 sized packs is extremely frustrating.

All these changes are accessible in the edit files, so you can experiment with more frequent hounds, or larger pack size, or no group AI (i think you can do this) and see whether you prefer the old way(s).
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2014, 00:39   #35
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
There also was a neutral change with the introduction of pack AI. It's not clear whether its a nerf or a buff. It certainly makes hounds easier to deal with if you can 1-shot melee them, but harder to deal with if you can't.
Ehh, if you could one-shot hounds with the old AI then you had plenty of options for getting rid of them then, too. I think the main difference between old and new is that old was worse when you were distracted by other enemies, while new is worse when you're trying to explore into new territory. Because with the old AI, the hounds would chase you down no matter what, while with the new AI they'll kite you and make safe exploration impossible until you deal with them.

The new AI also makes them tremendously more dangerous than they would otherwise be on cavern levels.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2014, 05:05   #36
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Ehh, if you could one-shot hounds with the old AI then you had plenty of options for getting rid of them then, too. I think the main difference between old and new is that old was worse when you were distracted by other enemies, while new is worse when you're trying to explore into new territory. Because with the old AI, the hounds would chase you down no matter what, while with the new AI they'll kite you and make safe exploration impossible until you deal with them.

The new AI also makes them tremendously more dangerous than they would otherwise be on cavern levels.
I wasn't clear. I meant the old AI makes hounds easier if you can one shot them, the new AI can be a bit more of a problem early.

Hopefully we can make cavern levels interesting at some point. Cavern levels with lots of treasure and only hounds!
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2014, 15:52   #37
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks to myshkin for complaining about how awful hounds were in earlier versions \o/

Yes, this stood out to me as well. I've generally tried to limit my complaints about V, since you can actually get them all summarised by doing a diff between the Angband and Sil source code... However reducing hound pack size was one that I couldn't bite my tongue on. I'd also tried halving their frequency in my own version and had recommended that here.

It was also nice to hear all of your voices. Makes the place feel much more personal. I think there'd be fewer conflicts on here if we had more of that human touch.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2014, 15:53   #38
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I wasn't clear. I meant the old AI makes hounds easier if you can one shot them, the new AI can be a bit more of a problem early.
I fear the day when someone codes the split pack AI: one group attacks from front while others find a way to cut your escape route.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2014, 15:55   #39
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I fear the day when someone codes the split pack AI: one group attacks from front while others find a way to cut your escape route.
That's called "sil"
Old September 26, 2014, 16:00   #40
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's called "sil"
Or FAangband ...
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote