Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 26, 2010, 20:42   #11
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of having difficulty level options and will likely do that for DaJAngband at some point.

Ideas I like:
- Tiburon's Berserker monsters idea.
- reduced experience for monsters weaker than you (but I'd probably make this a mild reduction)
- Summoning spells are biased towards deeper monsters / uniques
- slightly lowered chance of weapons/armor being made into egos/artifacts
- harder to detect curses (I heard that certain variants do this pretty well)
- higher monster density/level
- Reduce stealth so monsters wake up a bit faster

The thing about having limited food in stores is something I've considered doing just to make the food mechanic interesting. You'd also have to stop selling scrolls of satisfy hunger, and probably make the satisfy hunger spell more expensive and have less classes get it.

If/when I do add a difficulty level option, there will probably also be an option to make the game a little easier.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 21:16   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame View Post
Obviously, if these are just *options* then one can turn them on or off at one's leisure. Comments are directed to making them default or even mandatory.
All of my suggestions were made with the understanding that they would be optional. I don't think I'd support making any of them be mandatory as I suggested them. That said...

Quote:
No selling to stores...how about, instead, greatly reducing the max $$$ one gets from anything? Make all stores give no more than 1000 gp. This lets you get *some* cash for Recalls and CCWs and spellbooks early on.
The point of this option, of course, would be to make it much harder to acquire consumables (and very difficult indeed to buy anything from the black market). That in turn means that the player has to either be much more careful in picking fights, or be more willing to take risks during fights so that they don't have to use up valuable consumables. It also means that inventory destruction becomes comparatively nastier.

Quote:
Decreasing monster XP based on count, as well as charlevel, would work better than a flat "no more after the first 10." This would be *ugly* tho with the damned hounds; now, they still threaten to kill you but you don't get a damn thing from them. Orc/troll pits become, at most, item drop areas.
The entire idea of this suggestion was to force the player to keep diving and seeking out "novel" enemies. It means that the player might well find himself fighting enemies that he would ordinarily avoid (c.f. mystics, hydras) because they're the only things that can get him any experience. It'd also likely mean having to take down Morgoth at less than max level.

Quote:
I think "only regen when no enemies in sight" is a BAD idea. Why does it only work then? Makes no sense to me.
Because you can't rest and get your breath back if you're in the middle of a fight. Net result of this suggestion is to make attrition a factor regardless of what you're fighting, and mean that increasing monster density makes it much harder to recover in general. Mana also becomes a scarcer resource.

Quote:
Having monsters never flee, would be nasty. Another one, perhaps a bit more complex, would be to give a lot of monsters a BERSERKER flag. When they drop to below, say, 25% of their max hit points, they gain benefits similar to the potion of berserker str. The option would be to Enable Berserk, or something along those lines.
This would work at making the game harder, but I've always felt this was a pretty silly concept in videogames, personally. Why do monsters get harder to kill as they get closer to death? Is scar tissue made of muscles or something?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 04:02   #13
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyazaki View Post
My favourite self-imposed difficult story is still that guy who started with a plain shovel and used it for the entire game. Shovelled M to death!
Do you have a link? I haven't read this and it sounds great!
Old May 27, 2010, 04:41   #14
miyazaki
Adept

miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
Do you have a link? I haven't read this and it sounds great!
I didn't quite remember the ending correctly, but it is still damn impressive: Props!
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 20:33   #15
miyazaki
Adept

miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame View Post
Home-less would just seem to require more extended scumming prior to the final confrontations, and would make it much harder to adjust one's equipment set. Neither of these seems like they're any fun.

No ID is just plain tedious.

No selling to stores...how about, instead, greatly reducing the max $$$ one gets from anything? Make all stores give no more than 1000 gp. This lets you get *some* cash for Recalls and CCWs and spellbooks early on.
I disagree. The quiver and increased slots at home has made it increably easy to collect and store all sorts of consumables from !res_stat to !heal to ?*destroy* to arrows of slay evil. It means there is very little penalty for saving a bunch of potions and arrows for the endgame. Right now there is one obvious way to defeat morgoth. This is what I dislike about some of the current changes.

If the inventory was smaller to compensate for the increased quiver or home made smaller/eliminated, it would force the player to make choices earlier. If you decided to use the current obvious endgame strategy, then yes, you would choose a tedious path of scumming for consumables. By introducing more difficult choices, different endgame strategies become more attractive.

As for no-selling options, it is extremely liberating. It keeps you in the dungeon longer. (No more lugging backpacks of weapons up to the surface to buy stat potions.) Homeless would have a similiar effect of keeping you in the dungeon longer. (Even better if coupled with fixed-inventory stores.)
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 23:12   #16
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyazaki View Post

As for no-selling options, it is extremely liberating. It keeps you in the dungeon longer. (No more lugging backpacks of weapons up to the surface to buy stat potions.) Homeless would have a similiar effect of keeping you in the dungeon longer. (Even better if coupled with fixed-inventory stores.)
No selling+increased gold drops should definitely be an option. This is the default in DaJ and I've played it a couple times and can vouch for its goodness.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 18:17   #17
Atarlost
Swordsman

Atarlost is on a distinguished road
First I think you have to demonstrate that other strategies are or can be made viable. Can more than a handful of people take Morgoth with no consumables?
Old May 28, 2010, 18:41   #18
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This would work at making the game harder, but I've always felt this was a pretty silly concept in videogames, personally. Why do monsters get harder to kill as they get closer to death? Is scar tissue made of muscles or something?
The goal wouldn't be to make them harder to kill; it's make them much more dangerous. Bonus to hit, bonus to damage, possibly a penalty to AC; that's what going berserk means to me, as you completely focus on the goal of ripping whatever's in front of you, into teeeny tiny little pieces. In doing so, you're giving NO thought to defense.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote