Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 21, 2010, 16:25   #121
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
In any event, any gaming programmer worth his salt will have read an article like Fix Your Timestep and know how to deal with these issues.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 16:32   #122
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
In any event, any gaming programmer worth his salt will have read an article like Fix Your Timestep and know how to deal with these issues.
Although actually the blending strategy in the article doesn't work in a discrete world like Angband.

The only way you can "conceal" the fact that certain levels have way more computation that needs to be done (besides reducing or optimizing that computation) is to make all actions seem to have lag equal to the worst-case lag, which you could do with a timer (after receiving player input, plan to take at least X ms no matter how fast we finish the loop and just sleep for the remainder).
Old December 21, 2010, 17:49   #123
Mimu
Rookie

Mimu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Anderson View Post
Frames in Angband don't work like that.

The only time constant delay between frames is used is when there is an animation occurring - for example a spell or arrow being fired.
Well, there is a Movement Delay in the options menu in addition to that. What I was suggesting was more like d_m's clarification, giving all actions a worst-case lag. This would be useful if the player preferred all actions to have a slight delay, so you could see @ scooting along a corridor, for example. Of course, the running function skips drawing all frames until the run is interrupted, so no amount of delay would actually show the @ moving. And, to remain true to its console roots, instant feedback may be preferable to gradual movement, in any case. Ah, well.
Mimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 19:39   #124
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
With 4 tilesets (each of which can be stretched in 2 directions) on 5 platforms there are so many issues with the display of various things in tile modes that there is no way we can fix them all. We will try and make sure that macros and inscriptions still work, but little visual glitches will probably have to wait.
I've seen similar redraw bugs on OS X too but nothing that I've reproduced reliably. I rather suspect that the problems are shared-- all the issues seem centred about the tile height option.
Old December 21, 2010, 22:32   #125
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
Possible squelching bug? I've automatically squelched-on-identify a ring of the mouse and also a ring of the dog now, but do not have those set to auto-squelch. Both rings are not marked for squelching in the list of rings, and I have the quality squelch for rings set to "no squelch".

I think I've seen this is 3.1.2v2 also, though most recently this is in the nightly from Dec. 15 (d1a64ee55c).
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 23:17   #126
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
Possible squelching bug? I've automatically squelched-on-identify a ring of the mouse and also a ring of the dog now, but do not have those set to auto-squelch. Both rings are not marked for squelching in the list of rings, and I have the quality squelch for rings set to "no squelch".

I think I've seen this is 3.1.2v2 also, though most recently this is in the nightly from Dec. 15 (d1a64ee55c).
I think that's the "squelch worthless item kinds" setting in the options menu. It seems to have its own opinions about which 'mixed blessing' items count as worthless. At least it's stopped auto-squelching rings of teleportation now.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2010, 00:01   #127
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I think that's the "squelch worthless item kinds" setting in the options menu. It seems to have its own opinions about which 'mixed blessing' items count as worthless. At least it's stopped auto-squelching rings of teleportation now.
Oh bugger, I know why that's happening. The object power is coming out as negative so yes, they're being squelched as worthless. I think I can fix this.

EDIT1: Fixed in staging. The squelch_worthless option doesn't check object power, it looks directly at the "cost" field in object.txt - these had been set to 0 for Dog, Mouse and Inertia, so I have set them all nonzero. This won't affect their buy/sell price at all.

EDIT2: Not fixed, dammit. Well, the worthless issue is fixed, but they are still classed as "bad" by quality squelch. Looking into that.

EDIT3: Hmm. Quality squelch classes a ring or amulet as bad if ANY of the following are true:
pval <0
+to_hit <0
+to_dam <0
+to_ac <0

... this pretty much guarantees that all mixed-blessing jewelry will always be squelched as bad. Revising this is beyond 3.2, so for now it's enough that it's not covered by squelch worthless. People can avoid quality squelch of rings and amulets in the early game if they want to use the mixed-blessing ones.

Last edited by Magnate; December 22, 2010 at 22:20.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2010, 02:22   #128
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Not sure if this is the graphical glitch people are talking about. I'm on the OSX rc, using tiles. I throw a torch at a fleeing scruffy hobbit. The torch hits the hobbit, breaks, but there is a partial image of a torch well beyond the hobbit. This image moves along with my @. It disappears if I change to a different tile resolution (from 8x16 to 16x16), but I reproduced this effect on 16x16.

edit: actually, the phantom images always end up to the left of the @ even if I throw to the right, and disappear if I move up or down (but move with the @ if I move left or right).

Last edited by bio_hazard; December 22, 2010 at 02:35. Reason: edit for more details
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2010, 15:15   #129
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
I think that is related to the bigtile problem I mentioned earlier, see if it occurs without bigtile or doubletile enabled
Old December 23, 2010, 01:37   #130
Dean Anderson
Adept

Dean Anderson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
EDIT3: Hmm. Quality squelch classes a ring or amulet as bad if ANY of the following are true:
pval <0
+to_hit <0
+to_dam <0
+to_ac <0

... this pretty much guarantees that all mixed-blessing jewelry will always be squelched as bad. Revising this is beyond 3.2, so for now it's enough that it's not covered by squelch worthless. People can avoid quality squelch of rings and amulets in the early game if they want to use the mixed-blessing ones.
A "quick fix" for 3.2 might be to simply add those four values up and class it as bad if the total is less than 0...
Dean Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote