Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 4, 2011, 23:02   #1
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Cloak Rarity

Has the frequency of cloaks been reduced in the newer versions? I'm playing really slowly building up a no weapons character . I'm currently hanging out at levels 18-19 looking for a ring of damage. My turncounts around 500,000 turns and I've found a ros, bos, shield of elvenkind, and about, six artifacts. Since entering the dungeon I think I've seen a total of 2 cloaks. Am I just really unlucky? Im used to sorting through a stack of egos and at least 1 artifact cloak by level 20.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2011, 23:06   #2
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglySquirrell View Post
Has the frequency of cloaks been reduced in the newer versions? I'm playing really slowly building up a no weapons character . I'm currently hanging out at levels 18-19 looking for a ring of damage. My turncounts around 500,000 turns and I've found a ros, bos, shield of elvenkind, and about, six artifacts. Since entering the dungeon I think I've seen a total of 2 cloaks. Am I just really unlucky? Im used to sorting through a stack of egos and at least 1 artifact cloak by level 20.
first of all the fact that you've find RoS and BoS by dlevel 20 indicates that there are some problems in item allocation. I've also noticed BoS dropping very early in many games, and I think that they should be confined to later. RoS should be rarer, although this is in line with other players findings of things like MB9 or PB9 in the first dungeon levels. In many ways, I think finding BoS early ruins the game...
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2011, 23:15   #3
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

The boots dropped from Angamaite of Umbar on level 19, and there +2 so not really overpowered. The ros was lucky, but it was a superb feeling
So could have been any late game drop.
Old October 5, 2011, 00:39   #4
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
I haven't played a lot with 3.3, but I do recall that the cloak slot is usually the last one I fill.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2011, 00:59   #5
fizzix
Prophet

Quote:
The boots dropped from Angamaite of Umbar on level 19, and there +2 so not really overpowered. The ros was lucky, but it was a superb feeling
So could have been any late game drop.
Yes, but the problem is the +2 on BoS is completely random. They were just as likely to be +10. When there's that capability, the fact that they're dropped at all is problematic.
Old October 5, 2011, 01:38   #6
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

I agree that bos should be rare at lower levels, but still have a chance of dropping. Maybe I just had good luck with cloaks in earlier versions, but cloaks of stealth or protection were usually the first egos I saw. Right up there with boots of FA and slow decent.
Old October 5, 2011, 02:21   #7
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Yes, but the problem is the +2 on BoS is completely random. They were just as likely to be +10. When there's that capability, the fact that they're dropped at all is problematic.
Why not use randint(5) + mbonus(5) instead of randint(10)? Or go all out and use mbonus(10)?
Old October 5, 2011, 04:24   #8
fizzix
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by camlost View Post
Why not use randint(5) + mbonus(5) instead of randint(10)? Or go all out and use mbonus(10)?
Honestly, I'd rather have the pluses tied to the level. I think Magnate has some plans for ego generation which he'll work on after all the 3.3 bugs are finished.
Old October 5, 2011, 04:42   #9
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Honestly, I'd rather have the pluses tied to the level. I think Magnate has some plans for ego generation which he'll work on after all the 3.3 bugs are finished.
Sure, that would be more balanced. But I think if you start making drops based on the level found it would remove a really fun part of the game, and make the early levels just somewhere to grind well you worked you're way to level 80.
Old October 5, 2011, 05:58   #10
fizzix
Prophet

Quote:
Sure, that would be more balanced. But I think if you start making drops based on the level found it would remove a really fun part of the game, and make the early levels just somewhere to grind well you worked you're way to level 80.
That depends on the variance. Right now speed rings are tied to levels, but you still found one before dlevel 20. I think the general idea is that grinding should unnecessary, but if you choose to do it, we won't stop you.