Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 15, 2021, 21:19   #51
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
it is *very* unusual.

i made it clear that if you are playing Angband to see how much you can push an inadequate character into danger, stealth is the better choice. And you shouldn't. Or at least you shouldn't do that, and then be one of those who say "whoo, i have played X years and have never seen Y drop, because my win rate is 0.3%".
This is, I think, where you are missing the point. People who play for years without winning dont dive - if they did, they would win. Certainly the win rate of the diver is lower than that of the conservative player. But also certainly the ratio of wins/time_played is higher.

What you perceive as "inadequate character" is, with sufficient stealth, in fact perfectly adequate to make a life on dlvl 98.

The "play style", or habit to be acquired, is a very careful approach on every level. First detect, and if it looks safe, move around a few steps, maybe 10 or so squares and see if there is any worthwhile loot or prey. If there isnt, retreat to the staircase and change level. Dont linger, dont randomly explore. Check the immediate vicinity and leave.

If you are proceeding like this, it is remarkably safe, with stealth, to stay on levels way beyond what a conservative player would consider safe.

Go ahead and play the game of pushing an "inadequate" character as far as possible. You will be surprised.

As for choice, it is true that more often than not there is none - if there is stealth to be had, its likely on the items you want anyway.
But if the game gives you stealth, no matter what else comes with it, it is a boon beyond your imagination.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2021, 21:55   #52
VeritasAequitas
Scout

VeritasAequitas is on a distinguished road
one of the very best thing about this game, is you can play it and prioritise whatever you like if you want

some of us have been playing so long (since moria or before), some of us just have playstyles/habits that are hard to break, and thats cool too.

tbh its a testament to how good the game can be when there is legit stratgegy to dive, be conservative, tailor your strategy to the gear youve found etc, entirely within however you want to play, and all are viable.

want to clear every single level? go for it
want to dive to 99 with clvl20? go for it
VeritasAequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2021, 19:41   #53
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Selkie-
Wands of STM are uniformly better than digging as an escape. The ONLY time digging is a better is accessing greater vaults from half a screen away.* And I am definitely with others on the value of rings of the mouse and Defender weapons for name or priest.

* OK I lied. If you want to set up a long corridor to fight the tarrasque as a mage is another use. However, I did that only *once*.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsm, level feelings