Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old January 19, 2011, 15:45   #91
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockbolt View Post
Please don't take my suggestions as demands to alter the code to fit my tiles, they are...just suggestions

It may be a while before I complete the tileset, so there's no rush really (unless You would be a hero and add png support first of all )
I'll be honest, I have no idea how to add PNG support to the Windows version of the game and I don't have a Windows machine to test on. If anyone else is listening, though, and fancies giving it a go, that would be brilliant!
Old January 20, 2011, 01:01   #92
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I'll be honest, I have no idea how to add PNG support to the Windows version of the game and I don't have a Windows machine to test on. If anyone else is listening, though, and fancies giving it a go, that would be brilliant!
Make it portable, please. Every variant with even rudimentary tile support needs this.
Old January 21, 2011, 03:24   #93
RogerN
Swordsman

RogerN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Windows provides PNG support through GDI+ which is only available on Windows XP and later. GDI+ is supposedly available as a redistributable DLL for older versions of Windows (98, Me, NT). AFAIK it does not work at all on Win95 (of course TBH not even Win95 works on Win95). Although most of Microsoft's GDI+ examples utilize their C++ wrapper classes, it looks like there are also pure C functions available for loading PNG data.

The only other option would be to link to libpng and whatever dependencies it has (zlib?).
RogerN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2011, 12:15   #94
takkaria
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerN View Post
Windows provides PNG support through GDI+ which is only available on Windows XP and later. GDI+ is supposedly available as a redistributable DLL for older versions of Windows (98, Me, NT). AFAIK it does not work at all on Win95 (of course TBH not even Win95 works on Win95). Although most of Microsoft's GDI+ examples utilize their C++ wrapper classes, it looks like there are also pure C functions available for loading PNG data.

The only other option would be to link to libpng and whatever dependencies it has (zlib?).
Can't say I'm particularly bothered by breaking support for Win98. It sounds like you know what you're doingódo you think you might be able to write a patch?
Old January 21, 2011, 14:59   #95
RogerN
Swordsman

Quote:
Can't say I'm particularly bothered by breaking support for Win98. It sounds like you know what you're doingódo you think you might be able to write a patch?
No promises, but I'll certainly take a look.
Old January 21, 2011, 17:14   #96
Rizwan
Swordsman

Rizwan is on a distinguished road
Awesome work. I don't see how you are going to represent artifacts because I can't conceive anything awesommer unless you add glitter to it
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2011, 03:41   #97
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizwan View Post
Awesome work. I don't see how you are going to represent artifacts because I can't conceive anything awesommer unless you add glitter to it
Artifacts don't have special tiles (except for a few).
Old January 22, 2011, 09:12   #98
Shockbolt
Knight

Shockbolt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Shockbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizwan View Post
*laughs* I already did add glitter to the artifacts
Shockbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2011, 18:07   #99
RogerN
Swordsman

Quote:
Alas, I have failed in record time.

I quickly found out that GDI+ can only be used in C++ projects. Even though GDI+ can be used in a functional style (without the wrapper classes), the headers do not support plain old C. Can't even #include <gdiplus.h> without encountering a slew of errors.

Regrettably I must bow out. I only have Visual Studio at the moment, and I don't know enough about the official Angband development environment to know what options are available (if any) to graft GDI+ support into the project somehow.

If I was going to just get it working on my own machine then I would add a C++ source file to handle the PNG stuff, but that probably violates your coding standards.
Old January 22, 2011, 18:10   #100
takkaria
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerN View Post
Alas, I have failed in record time.

I quickly found out that GDI+ can only be used in C++ projects. Even though GDI+ can be used in a functional style (without the wrapper classes), the headers do not support plain old C. Can't even #include <gdiplus.h> without encountering a slew of errors.

Regrettably I must bow out. I only have Visual Studio at the moment, and I don't know enough about the official Angband development environment to know what options are available (if any) to graft GDI+ support into the project somehow.

If I was going to just get it working on my own machine then I would add a C++ source file to handle the PNG stuff, but that probably violates your coding standards.
Fair enough, cheers for trying! I think using a C++ source file just for windows would be acceptable if it's the only way we're going to get PNG support, though.

Tags
angband, graphic, graphics, tileset