Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2011, 14:11   #1
Tibarius
Swordsman
 
Tibarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 50
Posts: 399
Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
[3.30] neuter sex

What race does 'support' neuter sex? I am kinda sure humans do not, maybe gnomes or dwarves?

Since sex is only for roleplaying reasons in, i suggest to choose race first, and then offer neuter as sex option for whatever races this should be possible.

Cheers,
Tibarius
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2011, 14:38   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
Since sex is only for roleplaying reasons in
Too....many....puns...
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2011, 18:17   #3
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 405
Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
LOL @ Timo

We won't even go there...

I saw that when I fired up 3.3; my guess is, ALL of them do, just because of the ordering involved, and because there's no reason not to. I know High Elf did.

Of course, there's another whole set of puns right there, but we won't go into that....
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2011, 18:29   #4
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,946
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
What race does 'support' neuter sex? I am kinda sure humans do not, maybe gnomes or dwarves?

Since sex is only for roleplaying reasons in, i suggest to choose race first, and then offer neuter as sex option for whatever races this should be possible.

Cheers,
Tibarius
You can be a neuter human if you want, why the hell not?
__________________
takkaria whispers something about options. -more-
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2011, 18:38   #5
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,002
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Yeah, this gets into a lot of gender-identity issues, which may not be a big deal for you, but are certainly a huge deal for some people. I see no reason to force someone to pick a male or female gender.

(Though I might suggest "None" instead of "neuter")
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2011, 19:45   #6
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer
 
will_asher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 927
Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Yeah, this gets into a lot of gender-identity issues, which may not be a big deal for you, but are certainly a huge deal for some people. I see no reason to force someone to pick a male or female gender.

(Though I might suggest "None" instead of "neuter")
how about "unspecified" or "unknown". In a lot of stories, dwarves never let anyone know their gender (except perhaps their mate). I don't think female dwarves are ever mentioned in Tolkien's works, but I assume they existed because of "x, son of y, son of z".
__________________
Will_Asher

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2011, 19:47   #7
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,002
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
how about "unspecified" or "unknown". In a lot of stories, dwarves never let anyone know their gender (except perhaps their mate). I don't think female dwarves are ever mentioned in Tolkien's works, but I assume they existed because of "x, son of y, son of z".
it's the beards.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2011, 04:03   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,962
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
I don't think female dwarves are ever mentioned in Tolkien's works
There is one - Thorin Oakenshield's sister Dis, the mother of Fili and Kili.

While Tolkien was certainly a traditionalist, there has been a lot of interesting treatment of gender in subsequent fantasy and science fiction - Ursula Le Guin and Iain M. Banks are good examples. In fact, if we followed Le Guin (possibly the originator of the word 'mage' for a magician), perhaps all mages should be neuter...
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2011, 18:44   #9
Therem Harth
Knight
 
Therem Harth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England winter
Posts: 924
Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius
What race does 'support' neuter sex? I am kinda sure humans do not, maybe gnomes or dwarves? :P
Real-life humans do, in at least four or five ways.

As for Angband I'm happy the way things are. "Neuter" isn't really technically accurate, but I think it covers enough ground. I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
... In fact, if we followed Le Guin (possibly the originator of the word 'mage' for a magician), perhaps all mages should be neuter...
Now you've got my interest. What novel(s) was that from? I recall mages being celibate in the Earthsea series, but that's all...

(OTOH I haven't read Le Guin in far too long.)
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2011, 22:51   #10
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,962
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
Now you've got my interest. What novel(s) was that from? I recall mages being celibate in the Earthsea series, but that's all...
That was what I was thinking of - and I guess it was more just celibate.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.