AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old April 30, 2008, 17:26   #41
darkdrone
Apprentice

darkdrone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
FAangband 0.3.4, as source or compiled for Windows, OSX or WinCE is now available at the usual place.

Many thanks to all the people who have given feedback, in particular (as usual) Si Griffin.

- Implemented Sangband-style terrain flags.
hey Nick,

The Sang terrain flags makes the FA 033 game i was loading show up with (mostly) unknown grids.

only thing showing is the path.

[Edit] hadto move down a level and the graf is ok on that one.

best,
dD.
Old April 30, 2008, 17:36   #42
darkdrone
Apprentice

darkdrone is on a distinguished road
also the feature descriptions for Features - Doors
has about 8 "jammed door" entries and 7 "locked door" entries.
[EDIT]
ditto "Walls" have 4 granite wall and 4 permanent wall entries.
Old April 30, 2008, 23:53   #43
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdrone View Post
The Sang terrain flags makes the FA 033 game i was loading show up with (mostly) unknown grids.

only thing showing is the path.

[Edit] hadto move down a level and the graf is ok on that one.
Yes, I think I have just worked out why that happened - I failed to provide a translation from the old order of features in terrain.txt to the new. Going down a level was the perfect solution...

Quote:
also the feature descriptions for Features - Doors
has about 8 "jammed door" entries and 7 "locked door" entries.
ditto "Walls" have 4 granite wall and 4 permanent wall entries.
Yes, that's because there are slightly different versions of these for (a) difficulty of openeing (doors) and (b) dungeon generation reasons (walls). They probably should all be amalgamated into one for the knowledge screens.
Old May 1, 2008, 02:17   #44
GCD
Rookie

GCD is on a distinguished road
I tried playing Fangband on may laptop but seem to have some problems. The arrow keys seem to be acting strangely and the game crashes when I try to run ("." and then key arrow).
GCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 10:00   #45
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCD View Post
I tried playing Fangband on may laptop but seem to have some problems. The arrow keys seem to be acting strangely and the game crashes when I try to run ("." and then key arrow).
I'm assuming this is windows - XP, or vista? There have been sporadic problems with arrows and running in XP, probably related to pref files. It doesn't seem to be very predictable, and I have the same pref files as Vanilla, so I'm not quite sure how to fix it.

You may have better luck with running using shift + arrow; there's also the option of exploring by using the mouse.
Old May 1, 2008, 11:28   #46
Seany C
Swordsman

Donated: $20
Seany C is on a distinguished road
Well done on the new version, Nick - several very silly thrall deaths until I worked out which 'd's were which...

One small point - on XP, the new font is tiny (amulets are almost invisible, for example). Is importing the '8 x 13' font from 0.3.3 and earlier likely to work? (I really ought to try this then report back but I'm stuck in the office)
Seany C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 12:03   #47
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany C View Post
One small point - on XP, the new font is tiny (amulets are almost invisible, for example). Is importing the '8 x 13' font from 0.3.3 and earlier likely to work? (I really ought to try this then report back but I'm stuck in the office)
It will basically work, but you'll get silly things like M m or M[^i]m instead of Mim. Have you tried the 10x14x, or 8x12xb ?
Old May 1, 2008, 13:09   #48
Seany C
Swordsman

Donated: $20
Seany C is on a distinguished road
That would be silly - I'll try those other two setting tonight - ta.
Seany C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 22:46   #49
Arralen
Swordsman

Donated: 3 euro
Arralen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It will basically work, but you'll get silly things like M m or M[^i]m instead of Mim. Have you tried the 10x14x, or 8x12xb ?
I tried both, and the first one is too big to be useful, and the 2nd to bold to be readable.

I really miss the 8x13 font, as it is the ideal font for 17" TFT display running at 1280x1024 resolution.

The new 8x12x font sucks anyways (not only because its too tiny): dots are not dots but small "_" .. which really give me trouble after some time .. looks like my eyes "think" they're not in focus and try to shomehow make dots out of those no-dots .. result: additional strain, iritation and after some time maybe headache. Yes, could be I should wear glasses but as I'm near-sighted, I normally can get along without in front of a monitor (as long as the presentation is ok, that is.)
Arralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 03:37   #50
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arralen View Post
I tried both, and the first one is too big to be useful, and the 2nd to bold to be readable.

I really miss the 8x13 font, as it is the ideal font for 17" TFT display running at 1280x1024 resolution.

The new 8x12x font sucks anyways (not only because its too tiny): dots are not dots but small "_" .. which really give me trouble after some time .. looks like my eyes "think" they're not in focus and try to shomehow make dots out of those no-dots .. result: additional strain, iritation and after some time maybe headache. Yes, could be I should wear glasses but as I'm near-sighted, I normally can get along without in front of a monitor (as long as the presentation is ok, that is.)
For next release, I will try to find a more acceptable font with extended characters (and if anyone knows anything about this, I'd like to hear). I'll also see about making the game default back to using normal characters if the extended characters don't exist - I'm not sure if this is possible, though. Or extended characters could be made an option, but I don't like adding options unless they're really needed.

For now, if you want to use the 8x13 font, you can get rid of the extended characters by going through the edit files and removing anything like ['i], ["o], etc - basically they're the only places where '[' and ']' occur except for spellbook names. In fact, the only edit files that have changed from 0.3.3 to 0.3.4 (apart from the version number at the top) are vault.txt, terrain.txt (no extended characters in these) and monster.txt, so the simplest thing would probably be to change the version number on the 0.3.3 files except for those three, and then remove the extended character stuff from monster.txt.

Or you could switch to linux - the new fonts look great there