Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21, 2008, 20:47   #1
Bandobras
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 723
Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Compiling NPP for Linux?

Any idea how to compile the NPP SVN sources for Linux? No 'configure' to run and 'make -f Makefile.std' fails miserably. Also, a year ago the wonderful Tolkienian fonts didn't work under my Debian Linux --- do they work now for anybody?

Thanks a lot.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2008, 21:06   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,355
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
Any idea how to compile the NPP SVN sources for Linux? No 'configure' to run and 'make -f Makefile.std' fails miserably. )
I haven't compiled the svn, but I have 050BETA6 - although I can't remember now if I did anything unusual. I'll have a go at the svn when I get the chance.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2008, 21:41   #3
perost
Scout
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 33
perost is on a distinguished road
I tried with the current SVN, and it got stuck when it couldn't find the header asm/page.h. I changed it to "/usr/lib/klibc/include/asm/page.h" which seemed to be the header it was looking for, but that's a really ugly hack. It compiled then at least (with the usual warnings that seems to plague angband-variants), but it won't run. Running it in X it complains that it must be run in a virtual terminal, and if I run it in the terminal it can't find a font that it needs (why it would need a font in the terminal is beyond me). The makefile also seems a bit dated, since it uses the /usr/X11R6/include path, which most modern linux distros with X.org don't have anymore. But the code is probably fine, it's just the makefile that needs to be updated.

Edit: Btw, all the NPPAngband links on the variants page seems to be dead.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2008, 02:22   #4
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,355
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perost View Post
Btw, all the NPPAngband links on the variants page seems to be dead.
See this thread.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2008, 08:35   #5
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,355
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Compiles fine for me in kubuntu 8.04. I may have added some libraries to get beta 6 compiling in the first place, though.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2008, 15:15   #6
pav
Administrator
 
pav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Prague, Czech republic
Age: 38
Posts: 777
pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Right, totally forgot about the download links. Should be fixed now. BTW compiles just fine with Makefile.std on my FreeBSD box.
__________________
See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz
pav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2008, 15:42   #7
Bandobras
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 723
Bandobras is on a distinguished road
OK, thanks for the help, indeed. It turns out NPP has Linux framebuffer (plus XAW) turned on by default in Makefile.std, unlike UN and V, and I don't have the libraries. Fonts seem to work OK this time, too, after running compile_bdf_fonts.sh.

Now, for a Brigand on small levels, with all quests on. I wonder about the race... After I die 50 times, a Mage, tomorrow, to try the new Mage spells in NPP.

Edit: The 16x16 font is wonderful! I've always wanted a square font. Plus the accents... I only don't like the doors and walls that flicker on all the overclocked monitors I use, both CRT and LCD (with VGA connector). Anyway, we need it badly in Un!

Last edited by Bandobras; October 22, 2008 at 16:47.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2009, 16:36   #8
nekrotyrael
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
nekrotyrael is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perost View Post
I tried with the current SVN, and it got stuck when it couldn't find the header asm/page.h. I changed it to "/usr/lib/klibc/include/asm/page.h" which seemed to be the header it was looking for, but that's a really ugly hack. It compiled then at least (with the usual warnings that seems to plague angband-variants), but it won't run. Running it in X it complains that it must be run in a virtual terminal, and if I run it in the terminal it can't find a font that it needs (why it would need a font in the terminal is beyond me). The makefile also seems a bit dated, since it uses the /usr/X11R6/include path, which most modern linux distros with X.org don't have anymore. But the code is probably fine, it's just the makefile that needs to be updated.

Edit: Btw, all the NPPAngband links on the variants page seems to be dead.
I'm stuck there, too. Did you find a way around it? Couldn't even find the 10x20.bmp on google.
nekrotyrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2009, 08:05   #9
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,355
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrotyrael View Post
I'm stuck there, too. Did you find a way around it? Couldn't even find the 10x20.bmp on google.
Are you using "make -fMakefile.std" in the src directory? It compiles for me, but i do have to edit the -DUSE_LFB out of Makefile.std.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2009, 11:52   #10
nekrotyrael
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
nekrotyrael is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Are you using "make -fMakefile.std" in the src directory? It compiles for me, but i do have to edit the -DUSE_LFB out of Makefile.std.
It compiled fine, but I ran into same problem as the poster above when trying to run the game. The solution was actually quite easy - starting the game with -mx11 (src: http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/np...y#post-1266078).
nekrotyrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[NPP] Compiling on Mac OS X chem Variants 10 January 6, 2009 23:40
[Daj]Compiling DajAngband on Linux? Poop Loops Variants 9 May 18, 2008 22:32
Compiling on Linux... HowTo? MKula Vanilla 22 March 12, 2008 18:40
Linux compiling under SuSE 9.3 TJA Vanilla 21 August 16, 2007 08:49
Trouble compiling angband 3.0.9 on linux RastaRuedi Vanilla 2 August 1, 2007 18:28


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.