Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 6, 2009, 17:38   #1
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Feature Request: Buy and destroy all shortcut

If this already exists, *please* let me know.

I'm getting a bit tired of buying out a store repeatedly so I can get a restore potion, or scrolls of recharging or whatever normal stocked item that isn't there. It's especially frustrating when the store has several items that I carry with me but don't want to squelch, like scrolls of phase door. (no i don't need 83 of them) or prayer/magic books. The additional prompt for these items makes this task very painful.

A single button to buy the whole stock of the store and destroy it would be very nice. I'd be willing to pay a gold surcharge for this option.

I almost died because somehow, by accident, I squelched !CCW out of my inventory in buying out the temple for !RLL or something. (yeah yeah, I know, I now have !k!d inscribed on them)
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2009, 19:08   #2
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
We've begged and begged, but Takkaria remains steadfastly opposed.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2009, 20:13   #3
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Sangband has an "Invite shopkeeper to retire" feature, which does this (as part of the shopkeeper cycling).
Old October 6, 2009, 21:17   #4
Ghen
Apprentice

Ghen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlost View Post
Sangband has an "Invite shopkeeper to retire" feature, which does this (as part of the shopkeeper cycling).
That sounds neat. By the way, why did shopkeepers go permanent in V anyway? If you get a armorer who's a 5k max you're kinda screwed on money until you don't need it any more
Ghen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2009, 21:27   #5
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghen View Post
That sounds neat. By the way, why did shopkeepers go permanent in V anyway? If you get a armorer who's a 5k max you're kinda screwed on money until you don't need it any more
The bug was introduced between V3.0.9 and V3.1.0, and has not been fixed.

It is extremely inobvious, from a casual source code review, how the bug is implemented.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2009, 10:03   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
We've begged and begged, but Takkaria remains steadfastly opposed.
... and at least some of us remain staunch supporters of his position on this.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2009, 12:37   #7
zaimoni
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
If this already exists, *please* let me know.

I'm getting a bit tired of buying out a store repeatedly so I can get a restore potion, or scrolls of recharging or whatever normal stocked item that isn't there.
That is what the Home is for.

Long before it becomes possible to buy out a store, it is pragmatically impossible to run out of to run out of any sufficiently important normally stocked, but slowly used, item. Just buy up a stack of 99 of that item and park it in the Home. Gradually.
Old October 7, 2009, 15:27   #8
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimoni View Post
That is what the Home is for.

Long before it becomes possible to buy out a store, it is pragmatically impossible to run out of to run out of any sufficiently important normally stocked, but slowly used, item. Just buy up a stack of 99 of that item and park it in the Home. Gradually.
My home is needed to store items that can't be bought at the stores...

Honestly, inventory has never been such a huge problem for me except when playing warrior. And when I'm playing warrior...I need a large stack of buyable consumables that I go through quickly. It's just impractical to store them *all* in the home. I go through !CCW as if they were water. I had a stack of them 58 deep in the home and it's about depleted...

If you want you can look at my most recent dump and tell me what I can remove from my home to make room for the normally needed consumables

(right now I can probably chuck ?*remove curse* It's there because I'm terrified of misclicking and wielding an un-pseudo-ed item and have it wind up being heavily cursed.)

dump here: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9451
dump here:
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2009, 21:18   #9
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
... and at least some of us remain staunch supporters of his position on this.
because a significant UI improvement with absolutely 0 gameplay effect is a terrible idea in your minds.

With Takkaria on hiatus, there is little hope for stores to be revamped in the next year. I guess I'll have to release a patch for the unenlightened who just want to enjoy the game as it is designed now.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2009, 21:24   #10
zaimoni
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
If you want you can look at my most recent dump and tell me what I can remove from my home to make room for the normally needed consumables

(right now I can probably chuck ?*remove curse* It's there because I'm terrified of misclicking and wielding an un-pseudo-ed item and have it wind up being heavily cursed.)
Oh, I'd keep ?*remove curse*.

Gut reaction is:
* The Fur Cloak of Arindil: currently obsolete, except as "dressed to shop". If you can't name a circumstance that would require this for RConf or FrAct, this would be the first thing I'd sell.
* There are some others of "limited utility" but that do provide one or two critical features. I'd do a check to see which of those can be sold without severely impairing flexibility against future finds.