AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old July 2, 2010, 13:15   #51
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post

I'm more interested about why american football is called football when you play it mainly with your hands. "soccer" and "rugger" don't have word "foot" in them. Is it just ancient descendant of the original name where ball was played with your feet?
It is called football because it evolved from the sport that the rest of the world calls football (and us Americans call soccer). Like Rubgy, they tried out a sport where you could pick up the ball with your hands, run with it and teckle each other. But Rugby kind of stopped there where American Football added down and distance, the line of scrimmage, the forward pass, and countless commercial breaks.
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2010, 13:37   #52
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
It is called football because it evolved from the sport that the rest of the world calls football (and us Americans call soccer). Like Rubgy, they tried out a sport where you could pick up the ball with your hands, run with it and teckle each other. But Rugby kind of stopped there where American Football added down and distance, the line of scrimmage, the forward pass, and countless commercial breaks.
...and bodyarmor that makes sir Anorexia the Geek look like The Hulk.

Maybe that's another commercial feature of American Football.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2010, 21:21   #53
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
The US may have lost against Ghana once. We've lost against Germany too many times to count. It's going to be horrible.
I was right. It was.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2010, 08:58   #54
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atriel View Post
Just passing by, had to answer this topic

I watch the games, but do not wish my country (Brasil) win, because:
Well, you got what you wished for.

Didn't see that match, but watched Uruguay and Ghana match. That was a real thriller. I feel sad for that last second penalty-kick missed Ghana guy. It must have felt like sky is falling and world just ended when he realized that that one in and they would have been in top four.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2010, 17:02   #55
Matthias
Adept

Matthias is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Matthias
Wow what a game by the germans. Too bad one of our best guys will miss the next match because of one careless second where the ball hit his arm. I really don't like the 2nd yellow card in the tournament rule
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2010, 23:00   #56
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
Wow what a game by the germans. Too bad one of our best guys will miss the next match because of one careless second where the ball hit his arm. I really don't like the 2nd yellow card in the tournament rule
Yes, very impressive. Surely they must be favourites now - I wonder what the RNG thinks of that...
Old July 7, 2010, 23:09   #57
Matthias
Adept

Matthias is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Matthias
Awww, looks like the germans were too afraid. Maybe because they feared the RNG... Good job@spain you were the better team
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2010, 09:29   #58
Atriel
Apprentice

Atriel is on a distinguished road
> Atriel! It's nice to see another brazilian here, but I have to disagree with you in some points

Nice to meet ya

> I like to watch the games and every time I talk about how much I like soccer someone come and say that I'm alienated and start talking about politics. Here in Brazil we got some kind of pseudo-ideology that says that I'm not supposed to like the World Cup because of some previous bad government that used what we do better to explore its own popularity. This makes me feel really bad because I really love the country where I live and people say that Brazilians are patriots only when the topic is soccer.

Well, I said I wouldn't wish Brazil's victory (even thou I am not like every other Brazilian that "breathe" soccer, in my soul, I wished victory) because victory would be bad to us. Just take a look at the facts and statistics of the following years we lost the cup. Soccer *do* have an immense impact on everything here. Losing the cup = population a lil bit sadder, then angrier. Politicians now have to find another ways to keep everybody appeased, and behave better, because the loss made everybody more aware of what's wrong. I've read at least a dozen social science's thesis about that. As an English / ex-social sciences student, I'm very aware and very close to this sort of knowledge.

> And offside is not a stupid rule
Actually, if you research a lil deeper, you'll see that Offside outside the world cup was mostly ignored in many of the smaller ( intercity ) leagues as is now till ~early eighties, as few liked the rule as it was by the sixties, so the rule became different here by that time in most intercity cups (offsides only when the kick came from the other half of the field), if not vastly ignored in most but the more obvious cases (a camper by the opponent goal). I am lucky to have seen some Bra-Pel's by that time, when there "was no" offside.
Atriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2010, 20:08   #59
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
Awww, looks like the germans were too afraid. Maybe because they feared the RNG... Good job@spain you were the better team
I blame the octopus. I was watching and I couldn't believe I was watching the same team that destroyed Argentina last week. They looked so timid.

But yes, Spain is playing great. I thought the Germans were going to add thier 4th title but Spain was the only team that had a chance of beating them. I look forward to the final on Sunday.
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote