AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old April 23, 2009, 00:04   #1
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Geocities shutdown

Yahoo has announced that they will be shutting down geocities later this year. The DaJAngband download file itself is hosted here on oook, but the DaJAngband website (and my personal website besides) are hosted on Geocities. I will be looking for another free hosting site to move to soon, and suggestions are much appreciated if you know of a good one. Currently, I am unemployed and nearly broke so I cannot pay for web hosting.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2009, 00:13   #2
PaulBlay
Knight

PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
Yahoo has announced that they will be shutting down geocities later this year. The DaJAngband download file itself is hosted here on oook, but the DaJAngband website (and my personal website besides) are hosted on Geocities. I will be looking for another free hosting site to move to soon, and suggestions are much appreciated if you know of a good one. Currently, I am unemployed and nearly broke so I cannot pay for web hosting.
If it is open source, or if it could be made so, you could put it up on sourceforge. It's got nice version control stuff as well.

You might be able to persuade them to host it even if you are only on the Angband license (Sourceforge.JP has a few *band variants that I don't think are GPL clean).
Old April 23, 2009, 01:32   #3
Optimality
Scout

Optimality is on a distinguished road
I've been really pleased with Google Code's hosting. They have SVN, a nice customisable splash page, a wiki, and an issue tracker.

Not to plug my variant or anything, but check out my google code repo at http://craftband.googlecode.com
Optimality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2009, 13:04   #4
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Fascinating that Geocities lasted this long. I still have few pages there from before I got the oook.cz domain, see here. Says December 1st, 1998. Sheesh! Long lost the passwords etc, so I can't take them down or update them anymore. All the other personal hostings from the dawn of the ages are long gone by now. Lycos, Angelfire, anyone?
Old April 23, 2009, 14:04   #5
Optimality
Scout

Optimality is on a distinguished road
I have fond memories of making Geocities pages back in 7th grade - the Internet was so amazing back then .
Optimality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2009, 23:43   #6
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
I'm not looking for a place to put the actual code on the internet, just a place that will host a website for free. I tried google sites, but they won't let me edit the html.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2009, 03:40   #7
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not looking for a place to put the actual code on the internet, just a place that will host a website for free. I tried google sites, but they won't let me edit the html.
I'm not personally familiar with any of these sites, so I can't recommend them, and they are not free, but the rates seem reasonable at first glance ($5/mo.). I just thought I'd throw it out there since the response to this thread has been underwhelming. The following are recommended by MediaFire, if that's worth anything.

IPOWER
BlueHost
Host Monster
HostDime
Old April 28, 2009, 03:55   #8
PaulBlay
Knight

PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
SourceForge.JP will host a website for free, and will let you edit the html (to the best of my knowledge) providing that website is for an Open Source code project (that they host?).

I have no interest in that part so I haven't tried it myself.

To be blunt, having seen your DaJAngband webpage, you might as well put your information on a wiki style page. SourceForge provides project wikis as well, or there's always RogueBasin.
Old April 28, 2009, 05:32   #9
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@will-
Google doesn't let you change the appearance of the code home page, but it does allow you to make a project home page. As an example, here are the pages for hellband:

http://hellband.googlepages.com/index.html
http://code.google.com/p/hellband/
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote