Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old September 29, 2010, 09:30   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinereaste View Post
Yeah, that was pretty much my take on GC2, too. Have you tried FreeOrion? (I haven't played it, or even know if it is playable yet, but it looked promising.)
Sadly FreeOrion is a dog's breakfast. The devteam decided on a proprietary graphical SDK or something, and it's been pretty much shunned by other FOSS communities. It's also released nothing playable despite being in development for about seven years. Shame really, because along with a free remake of MoM it's about the most hoped-for gaming project on the net.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2010, 10:09   #12
Ashkir
Rookie

Ashkir is on a distinguished road
Have a look at A.I War - Fleet Command by Arcen Games, an indie developer. You can DL a free demo that lets you play the tutorials and the first 3 hours of a campaign. The full game is well worth the money spent though, along with 2 expansions rich with content and another in the pipeline.

It is complex but micro management can be almost non existant, loads of units and tech trees to explore. Allies and enemies to be made. Structures to be destroyed or captured for your cause. Aliens to trade with/ destroy/ avoid. Ancient alien artifacts and starships to discover. There's a huge amount of depth and detail..........

You cannot play against other humans, instead you can play co-op with upto 8 players vs the AI in the title, which is touted as extremely advanced and sneaky.

The community is friendly, very helpful and active as is the developer who regularly updates the game, posts to the boards to answer questions and give advice etc.....

I've had a lot of fun with it since coming across the website a month or so ago.

http://www.arcengames.com/aiwar_features.php

Just my tuppence worth.
Ashkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2010, 07:29   #13
Core31
Rookie

Core31 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Core31
Thumbs up

An alternative I play for almost 15 years every now and then is Stars! (the ! is part of the title... ;-) )
It lacks good graphics but doesn't need it. The interface is easy to use, the handling is simple but the game itself is hard to master.
You can play it against the AI but the real fun comes when you play it PBEM against your friends. The last time I played it took almost 1.5 years to finish (because most of us are working and we made a turn once a week) and a huge map of the galaxy with needles for own, allied and hostile pülanets was wall-mounted in my office...
Unfortunately you can't buy it anymore, but there is a demo out there at http://starsautohost.org/stars.htm
Maybe there are still ways to get a working key, I bought mine over ten years ago.. ;-)

If you want some tipps or need an additional player - just leave a message.

fab
Core31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2010, 15:32   #14
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Well, I gave in and got Civ V in the end. Man, I had forgotten how addictive I found Civ I and Civ IV. Last weekend flew by, and I had one of those Sunday evenings where you're sitting there thinking "How the **** have I failed to DO anything this weekend? And why is my wife so pissed at me??".

It does annoy me that they've reverted to non-carry-over of production though. And they still don't send broadcast messages when wonders are started, which makes getting pipped to a wonder a resign-or-reload problem.

(I was intrigued by AI War though - I have d/l'd the demo to try it out.)
Old November 9, 2010, 05:01   #15
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Well, I gave in and got Civ V in the end
How are the patches coming? I hate the way they treat their customers as alpha testers. I've also read some complaints that it is a resource hog. Did you have any trouble running it in the late game?
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2010, 14:32   #16
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
It does annoy me that they've reverted to non-carry-over of production though.
Ouch... thanks for the warning! (What were they thinking?!?)

At least knowing this may keep me away from Civ V for a while. :-)
Bostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2010, 17:47   #17
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostock View Post
Ouch... thanks for the warning! (What were they thinking?!?)

At least knowing this may keep me away from Civ V for a while. :-)
That does seem like a dealbreaker unless the automated governors are smart enough to switch to negative food sometimes to avoid production waste.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2010, 20:45   #18
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
How are the patches coming? I hate the way they treat their customers as alpha testers. I've also read some complaints that it is a resource hog. Did you have any trouble running it in the late game?
Yes, but I have a fairly old system (3.2GHz P4HT with 3GB RAM and lousy slow single HD). I think most of the crapulence is either loading gfx from disk, but it could be the 1x PCI-e slot (I have a new 5750 card ready for my next machine, but it's currently running at 1x). But yes, I was surprised how sluggish it is for a TBS game.

The addiction didn't last: the automated governor code is still nowhere near intelligent enough to optimise production, so even when I got the wonder-building right I still quit after reaching half a dozen cities because my OCD can't cope with the requirement to micromanage the resources manually. It's a shame because it's a really nice evolution of the genre.

So I got Sacred 2 for some hack'n'slash joy - not sure how long that will last either: I played D2 for years but TQ for only months.
Old November 10, 2010, 07:55   #19
Core31
Rookie

Core31 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Core31
Cool

Me and my friends always enjoyed a game of Stars! It is a - really old - 4X space strategy game, very similar to Moo2. The company that sold it is long gone, but you can still find the shareware version at starsautohost. I think there are serial numbers sold at the forum to get a full version. Be warned though, the graphical interface is minimalistic. ;-)

You can play it against AI or on your own, but the most fun you'll get out of hotseat (yes, it's possible!) or PBEM. If you're interested I could think about hosting a game, though I know it always eats a lot of my time.
When I played my last game (about 2 years ago) I was working at a hospital and one of my office walls was a huge starmap with small needles and flags. You can imagine how many questions from colleagues and patients I had to answer. Well, two of my colleagues play it since then, too. ;-)

Cheers,
fab
Core31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2010, 08:42   #20
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core31 View Post
Me and my friends always enjoyed a game of Stars! It is a - really old - 4X space strategy game, very similar to Moo2. The company that sold it is long gone, but you can still find the shareware version at starsautohost. I think there are serial numbers sold at the forum to get a full version. Be warned though, the graphical interface is minimalistic. ;-)
IIRC Stars! did have enormous amount of micromanagement. That was what put me off the game. It had several very good ideas, but I lost interest pretty fast. A bit like Moo3, lots of good ideas, poor execution.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote