Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old January 30, 2011, 21:51   #1
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Question Do they still make old-school RPGs anymore?

Let me start out by saying that I used to love playing the SSI RPGs way back in the old days. So I was wondering if anyone still makes RPGs like those anymore? In particular, I am interested in something that is turn-based, where you create a party that you can balance however you want--all fighters, magic-heavy, etc. Preferably it should conform to an AD&D ruleset--I'm not really pick about what version. High-quality graphics are nice but certainly not a requirement. I don't care if the game is several years old, even, as long as it will still run.

The last game that I played that almost exactly met my specifications was Wizardry Gold. Neverwinter Nights came very close; it is not strictly turn-based, but you can pause and direct the action at your own pace. My only objection is that while it is party based, you only get to create one character and the rest you build from PCs you meet along the way (thus limiting you to what the designers put in).

Others that I have already played:

Baldur's Gate
Dungeon Lords
Elder Scrolls: Morrowwind and Oblivion
Fallout I, II, & III

I have started Dragon Age: Origins but only played a little bit so far; I have also purchased The Witcher but have not started playing it yet. So, is there anything better out there for me?
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2011, 22:14   #2
pampl
RePosBand maintainer

pampl is on a distinguished road
It's going to sound a little kooky, but try the Flash game Monsters' Den (one place it's hosted is here). Not a D&D ruleset, but you have to make a party of adventurers and explore a dungeon filled with turn-based fights between your group and a group of bad guys. No story or dialogue to speak of, though.
pampl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2011, 22:50   #3
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Stats View Post
Let me start out by saying that I used to love playing the SSI RPGs way back in the old days. So I was wondering if anyone still makes RPGs like those anymore? In particular, I am interested in something that is turn-based, where you create a party that you can balance however you want--all fighters, magic-heavy, etc. Preferably it should conform to an AD&D ruleset--I'm not really pick about what version. High-quality graphics are nice but certainly not a requirement. I don't care if the game is several years old, even, as long as it will still run.

The last game that I played that almost exactly met my specifications was Wizardry Gold. Neverwinter Nights came very close; it is not strictly turn-based, but you can pause and direct the action at your own pace. My only objection is that while it is party based, you only get to create one character and the rest you build from PCs you meet along the way (thus limiting you to what the designers put in).

Others that I have already played:

Baldur's Gate
Dungeon Lords
Elder Scrolls: Morrowwind and Oblivion
Fallout I, II, & III

I have started Dragon Age: Origins but only played a little bit so far; I have also purchased The Witcher but have not started playing it yet. So, is there anything better out there for me?
For Iphone/Ipad try Undercroft, good old times !

T.
Old January 30, 2011, 23:10   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
There's the games made by Spiderweb Software (particularly Avernum). They don't use D&D rules but they're make-your-own-party turn-based RPGs.

I kinda preferred the Exile series, of which the Avernum series is remakes (until they made Avernum 4 anyway), but oh well. Avernum's still quality stuff.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2011, 12:53   #5
Cazliostro
Rookie

Cazliostro is on a distinguished road
I would suggest you visit Good Old Games - also known as GOG (just google either phrase). They are a company that specializes in aquiring old games from the 90's & early 00's, patching them up, modding them to run on modern systems and selling them as convenient all-in-one packages that are easily downloaded and DRM free. They have many old titles which you may not have heard of but are of excellent quality such as Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, Planescape: Torment & many other titles.
Cazliostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2011, 15:45   #6
bulian
Adept

bulian is on a distinguished road
PS:T and BG2 are by far and away my favorite games. A strong recommendation for both of them. While BG2 is more likely to fit your criterion of making a party and balancing it how you want (to do so, start a game in multiplayer mode), the story and gameplay in PS:T is incredible. Both games have very good, fun NPCs that can join your party. Lastly, BG2 has a lot of replay value, in part because of a rather large modding community. A good place to start looking for mods is gibberlings3 or spellhold studios.

Gah, now I'm going to have to go play PS:T.
bulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2011, 01:24   #7
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
u like oblivion etc, maybe u will like game: vampire the masquerade.. if u play, please get latest patch and even the community patch...

also i can highly reccomend most squaresoft(NOT ENIX, EEE) games, and also diablo2 expansion hardcore uswest ladder, eee!

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2011, 13:44   #8
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Heh, I thought Square and Enix merged years ago... what about games released since then? I can't even remember which one made which series anymore... Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, etc... they're all "Square Enix" to me :P

*summons a Drushocka to gobble up all the EEE*
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2011, 20:32   #9
Ycombinator
Adept

Ycombinator is on a distinguished road
(Scraping the thread for RPG titles.)
I've picked up NWN2 at the recent Steam sale. That's pretty much my first CRPG besides Angband. I was thinking about getting BG2 or PS:T from GOG to start with, but decided to stick with a more modern D&D CRPG incarnation. They're still in my roadmap, though. Maybe playing these games within a time frame of a few months*, rather than a decade, will help to determine if the grass was truly greener and trees higher in the old days :-)

(*) Well, given that after 25 hours of playing I'm roughly at the first third of the original campaign, and with two expansions awaiting, “a few months” can be a bit optimistic estimation.
Ycombinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2011, 12:14   #10
Cazliostro
Rookie

Cazliostro is on a distinguished road
It can be painful... painful to retrain one's thinking back to AD&D 2e if one is used to D&D 3.5e. I had to re-read the armor descriptions several times (4 is better than 5!). Trying to remember the attribute bonus system is all but impossible for me now (does a ranger need a minimum Wisdom of 14? Is that just a +1 in 2e? A Constitution bonus beyond 16 only applies to fighters... and also Paladins?) ...it's dreadfully clunky compared to 3.5e. The difference between those editions is just stunning. It's the difference between tables that need to be consulted and universal mechanics that can be applied to multiple situations on the fly.

I grew up with AD&D 1e & sometimes still peruse the books for nostalgia's sake, but as time goes by I don't think I can really enjoy CRPG's based on older editions. They seem more like an exercise in limitations than anything else. But on the other hand these are well made games with beautiful maps, deep, rewarding stories, massive mod communities, challenging tactical puzzles, etc. ... it's an esoteric obsession, I guess.

I would put them in this order:

1. Planescape Torment (AD&D 2e modified so main character has 4 classes)
2. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (AD&D 2e)
3. Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 (2e & 3.5e respectively I believe)
4. Temple of Elemental Evil (D&D 3.5 - best CRPG implementation of 3.5e IMO)
5. Icewind Dale 1 & 2 (AD&D 2e)

Last edited by Cazliostro; February 2, 2011 at 13:05.
Cazliostro is offline   Reply With Quote