Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old July 9, 2013, 15:13   #11
OOD Town drunk
Adept

OOD Town drunk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
Are those really roguelikes? :/
Not exactly. That is why i referred to them as either roguelikelikes, or psuedoroguelikes, Games with heavy roguelike elements.
OOD Town drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013, 15:17   #12
OOD Town drunk
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOD Town drunk View Post
Not exactly. That is why i referred to them as either roguelikelikes, or psuedoroguelikes, Games with heavy roguelike elements.
which, now that i'm thinking about it, would mean a game that is like a game that is like rogue. haha or a game that imitates a game that is like rogue
Old July 9, 2013, 15:29   #13
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
I absolutely love all these games. FTL may not be a strict rogue-like, but it sure was a lot of fun. I just started rogue legacy a day or 2 ago, and I seem to be absolutely terrible at it. I think I might try playing it with an xbox controller and see if I fair any better.

Another game that I enjoyed immensely was Realm of the Mad God. It's not a roguelike, but does feature permadeath, which for some reason is the only kind of game I play anymore. It's a top down online fantasy bullet hell shooter mmo thingy with 8 bit graphics. The world/dungeons are randomly generated, and I think support up to 80 players per instance. I played it for quite a while with some friends, it's a lot of fun if you're into fast paced bullet dodging shenanigans.
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013, 15:31   #14
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Yeah Realm of the Mad God was super fun. I quit early before I could get addicted
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013, 15:37   #15
Raajaton
Swordsman

It was worth being addicted to for a time. Hell, just thinking about it wants me to fire it up again ...
Old July 9, 2013, 17:09   #16
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajaton View Post
It was worth being addicted to for a time. Hell, just thinking about it wants me to fire it up again ...
Rape train in sector 7! Quick, boarding now, last call, woo woooooo! All aboard, xp gain, GO!
Old July 9, 2013, 19:27   #17
Raajaton
Swordsman

Ahh the good old xp trains. The memories ...

I for one generally leveled in the godlands though. I like the live on the edge.
Old July 10, 2013, 16:11   #18
OOD Town drunk
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
Haha, yeah. I beat Ninja Gaiden ONE TIME. And, that was enough for forever.

But, Megaman... I still load up Megaman 1-6. I prop the daughter in my lap and show off the pro leet platforming skills.
Ninja Gaiden. I remember being able to get to the second fight with the endboss. He was fucking impossible. FF>> to today and YouTube shows that you just hang out on the floor, and his shots will swing off screen and disappear. Making him look easy. I love the internet. I used to hand write letters to nintendo power because my mom would literally have killed me if I didn't stop 1900ing them
Old July 22, 2013, 00:01   #19
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Yah! I finally bought up the entire castle, objects and runes in Rogue Legacy. So, game complete, I guess! I'm currently on New Game +7, but I'm probably going to stop playing since the only noticeable change at this point is the monsters get more and more hp.

Damn fun game! The difficulty curve sort of jumps around from being too hard, to too easy, to too hard, to too easy. etc... However, as the game makes these jumps, the difficulty level hits these sweet spots where the game is just perfect. I wish the difficulty would stay in this sweet spot for longer periods.

I think if they had made changes to the bosses on the new game + replays, the game would have even more replay value. As it is, the regular dungeon just gets harder and harder, but the boss fights become trivial as they retain pretty much the same difficulty value as the first time you see them.

That being said, I played barbarians and paladins mostly, with the occasional assassin. I suck with all the other stuff. I highly recommend this game for pure fun value.
Old July 22, 2013, 01:58   #20
OOD Town drunk
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
Yah! I finally bought up the entire castle, objects and runes in Rogue Legacy. So, game complete, I guess! I'm currently on New Game +7, but I'm probably going to stop playing since the only noticeable change at this point is the monsters get more and more hp.

Damn fun game! The difficulty curve sort of jumps around from being too hard, to too easy, to too hard, to too easy. etc... However, as the game makes these jumps, the difficulty level hits these sweet spots where the game is just perfect. I wish the difficulty would stay in this sweet spot for longer periods.

I think if they had made changes to the bosses on the new game + replays, the game would have even more replay value. As it is, the regular dungeon just gets harder and harder, but the boss fights become trivial as they retain pretty much the same difficulty value as the first time you see them.

That being said, I played barbarians and paladins mostly, with the occasional assassin. I suck with all the other stuff. I highly recommend this game for pure fun value.
I enjoyed the Shinobi class. With a bit of vampiric equipment, you do tons of damage and can stay healthy, despite the low HP. And of course the spelunker for gold grinding. (Still not sure if that helmet lamp does anything)