Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old December 2, 2013, 13:19   #21
T-Mick
Adept

T-Mick is on a distinguished road
If you channeled down from the surface, you should already have natural ramps around the edges. If you want to build a stair case or artificial ramp, you'll have to smooth those out.

You can't fill open space, except with a constructed wall. Floors can be built over holes as well, as long as they're connected to either solid ground or another floor on one side.
T-Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2013, 13:41   #22
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
If you channeled down from the surface, you should already have natural ramps around the edges. If you want to build a stair case or artificial ramp, you'll have to smooth those out.
When I channeled my first hole in the ground (at the start of the game) the natural ramp/slope just happened. I dug the hole and the slope appeared automatically. That didn't happen this time, perhaps because there was already a tunnel beneath it??? I'll see what I can do about sloping grids surrounding the open space.
Old December 2, 2013, 13:49   #23
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I've never had a problem building stairs, until now. Can my fortress have more than one access to the surface. You see, my trade depot is quite far from my (ahem) fortress. After screwing around for a while building bit and pieces of a road, I decided that it would be much easier and probably safer to tunnel to the depot and then build a ramp or stairway to the surface for access.

So, I finished the tunnel and then could not build an up staircase. Went to the surface and was able to construct a down staircase. Went back to Z-1 and still could not build the up staircase. Went to surface and channeled where the staircase was removing the staircase in the process and creating open space. Since then I've not been able to build any ramp or staircase from surface down or Z-1 up.

This doesn't really affect my game in a significant way. I just want it to work seeing as how I already dug out this ungodly long tunnel. Related question, how do I fill in the open space and/or replace a wall?
The sky is the limit. You don't even have to go underground. You can set up multiple self-sustaining forts. You can lock yourself from outside contact. And you can build unlimited access points (although this can be dangerous when enemies show up).

You can fill empty space by building walls, but it won't revert to normal natural stone ever. It counts as construction and normal digging designations won't work with it, you will have to deconstruct to change it. Similarly you can't designate / dig a staircase in an empty tile but have to construct it.

The easiest way to handle your situation would be to move your depot. Just deconstruct and build a new one elsewhere.

Ramps only appear during channeling when there is something below. Be careful when channeling through natural floors with tunnels underneath, it is a typical source for accidents. (Via cave-ins) In empty tiles you only can construct ramps.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2013, 13:50   #24
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
When I channeled my first hole in the ground (at the start of the game) the natural ramp/slope just happened. I dug the hole and the slope appeared automatically. That didn't happen this time, perhaps because there was already a tunnel beneath it??? I'll see what I can do about sloping grids surrounding the open space.
I couldn't figure any way to create a slope around the existing open space, so I instead channeled a new hole some distance away and the slope appeared as it should... so, problem solved I guess. This kind of stuff is going to happen a lot, isn't it?
Old December 2, 2013, 14:53   #25
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I couldn't figure any way to create a slope around the existing open space, so I instead channeled a new hole some distance away and the slope appeared as it should... so, problem solved I guess. This kind of stuff is going to happen a lot, isn't it?
To build a slope or a ramp, you need to do it as a construction, so you need to have some material handy. Channeling will usually leave a sloped surface so that people can crawl back out.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2013, 16:25   #26
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
The behavior of stairs and ramps tend to be rather confusing for beginners. I remember having some trouble with disconnected levels due to unfunctional stairs or ramps.

There is an older illustraition regarding the whole of the stairs and ramps business at the wiki:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Stairs

Stairs and ramps can either be dug out of existing walls or floors or they can be constructed into thin air (accessable in the construction menu).
To make things more confusing stairs can go up or down or up_and_down which is quite different from what we know about stairs.

Also, ramps are still visible as icons but completely useless if they get their supporting wall removed.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2013, 21:21   #27
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
When digging stairs in wall, it is normally better to dig up/down stairs. If you already have up stair you cannot dig down stair at the same tile without destroying up stair.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2013, 11:47   #28
Mondkalb
Knight

Another helpful tool for me is the book by Peter Tyson who had already done a great job with his tutorials (for an older version of the game: http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/...ss-part-1-wtf/ ).

"Getting Started With Dwarf Fortress" is available in various ebook formats as well as in printed form:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022565.do (also available on amazon)

It's really helpful to have a lot of information bundled into themed articles rather than have them scattered all over the Wiki (which is an invaluable source of wisdom nevertheless).
Old December 3, 2013, 13:45   #29
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/...ss-part-1-wtf/ ).

"Getting Started With Dwarf Fortress" is available in various ebook formats as well as in printed form:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022565.do (also available on amazon)
I'll take a look at these. I'm wishing I had a quick reference card. There are times when I want to do something that I've done before, but can't remember which sub-menu the command is buried in.
Old December 3, 2013, 13:48   #30
Mondkalb
Knight

Mastering the interface is part of the great DF experience.
Very similiar to roguelikes.