AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old January 24, 2015, 00:57   #11
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendell Orcbane View Post
I am with debo on this. Man I was hitting those S's a bunch of times and sometimes the charge would take them down and other times not. I just think that its crazy that I need a heavy weapon to get anywhere. Hell, I haven never gotten Demerlith without a heavy weapon. Unless I had sharpness.
Really I just wonder what the math is on the heavy weapons. Like what rolls are going on that let the heavy weapons get thru where a lighter more accurate weapon won't.
I think it's totally legit to expect people to carry a big axe or something to deal with S. What frustrates me is that this really doesn't work unless you have something else going for you.

If S were rare enough that it was sort of a 'deal with it and find a way to avoid them' problem, I'd be ok with it. This works OK with other ridiculous monsters like D or unrelenting H, since there's always something you can do to escape. The weak-erratic biff that S get to movement doesn't really prevent them from following you across the entire map, and it's fairly common to encounter 4-5 of them per dungeon level, which just gets unbelievably annoying after you've played the endgame more than... I dunno, once?

Back when song of sharpness was at full-strength and everyone took it, this wasn't as obvious of a problem (although it was kinda boring to do the same thing every time.) Now... not so much. Anyways I whined about this enough already here: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=7109