Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 1, 2020, 09:57   #1
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Priests, what is your Morgoth tactic ?

Let me hear what is your preferred tactic for the final Morgoth fight with a Priest.

My current character has 2/3 viable setups, one with 3 immunities, 300 DPS and +34 Spd hasted, and 4 sustains (no sWIS). 18/110 STR so a MoD is out of the question.
Another has +55 Spd hasted, 160 DPS, no sustains. I can change weapon and drop to +47 Spd hasted, 320 DPS, but again no sustains.
Sure, i can cast Restoration, but it costs a lot of mana.

My launcher sucks.

My initial idea was to build a fortress of Glyphs and use Annihilation (3% fail). Orb is not really viable, as it just takes too many castings, and generally it becomes a summoning nightmare as Morgoth calls hordes of dangerous breathers.
Old December 1, 2020, 12:15   #2
Werbaer
Adept

Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Let me hear what is your preferred tactic for the final Morgoth fight with a Priest.
Combination of Wands of Annihilation and Orb of Draining. No Glyphs of Warding (i use these only with melee characters).

I use Wands of Drain Life, Annihilation, and Dragon Fire/Frost to kill high-level non-evil uniques. Sometimes i have a stack of Annihilation wands left to use vs Morgoth, sometimes i don't.

Yes, it takes ~130 Orbs to kill Morgoth. But with the Banish Evil spell and some potions of Restore Mana, a priest has the time.

I try to save all scrolls of Banishment and Mass Banishment for the final fight. In addition, i use Banish Evil sometimes to teleport away summons. I had one game where i didn't use Banishment or Mass Banishment at all in the final fight, only Banish Evil and Teleport Other.

Since i don't melee, i even carry Staffs of Banishment sometimes. In current versions, summoned monsters are placed with 0 Energy. So with a speed of +34, i am guaranteed 2 actions before 'fast' monsters move. When Morgoth summons only evil monsters (dragons, demons, undead), and nothing very fast and dangerous, i can try to use the staff. If it fails, i still can use a scroll, or Banish Evil if Morgoth casts a Mana Storm.
Werbaer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2020, 13:31   #3
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Usually with a good launcher and wands of annihilation.

New vanilla version has a spell Light of Manwe, which is poor man's Mana Storm. I use that if I have lots of wisdom and means to recover MP (Staff of Magi, !RestoreMana). I remember annihilation spell being rather weak given the MP cost, but that would have to do if no anni-wands, badass launcher+ammo or good melee were available. I suppose melee is only doable with some uber artifacts or extreme patience.

I've killed Morgoth once exclusively with Orbs and I wouldn't do it again. Took ages.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2020, 22:23   #4
Sky
Veteran

.. but, Banish Evil banishes Morgoth as well.

.. i mean, that's not terribly bad, but, he could still potentially get stuck behind a vault and recover all lost hp.
Old December 2, 2020, 03:36   #5
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
The answer, I feel, in every case is -- it depends.

What did your priest find along the way? If it's wearing Power Dragon Mail and wielding Deathwreaker, then just pummel him to death.

If your priest isn't great in armor or melee, a more ordinary situation, use a destruct area and kill him at range using missiles, spells, wands.

It's always a question of situation, rather than specific race/class.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2020, 08:47   #6
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
MoD or equivalent + melee. You have infinite heal and banish evil/destruction for summons.
Old December 2, 2020, 22:37   #7
archolewa
Swordsman

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
MoD or equivalent + melee. You have infinite heal and banish evil/destruction for summons.
This is how I got my first ever Angband win. Talk about a tense marathon of a fight. I think it lasted 45 minutes, my heart hammering harder with every star Morgoth lost. When he finally died I sat staring at the screen for moment, not really believing it. Before this character I think the deepest I got was DL60 or something.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2020, 01:13   #8
sffp
Adept

sffp is on a distinguished road
I used elite arrows and the big damage maker in the last book (forget the name). But of course, the coup was delivered with an orb of draining for old times sake.
sffp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2020, 05:15   #9
Sky
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffp View Post
I used elite arrows and the big damage maker in the last book (forget the name). But of course, the coup was delivered with an orb of draining for old times sake.
ha. i did that too.

4.1 Annihilation is useless, btw.
Old January 9, 2021, 07:04   #10
EnragedHopper
Rookie

EnragedHopper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
This is how I got my first ever Angband win. Talk about a tense marathon of a fight. I think it lasted 45 minutes, my heart hammering harder with every star Morgoth mcdvoice lost. When he finally died I sat staring at the screen for moment, not really believing it. Before this character I think the deepest I got was DL60 or something.
I try to save all scrolls of Banishment and Mass Banishment for the final fight. In addition, i use Banish Evil sometimes to teleport away summons. I had one game where i didn't use Banishment or Mass Banishment at all in the final fight, only Banish Evil and Teleport Other.
EnragedHopper is offline   Reply With Quote