Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 10, 2021, 20:18   #11
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
This just confirms to me that level feelings are not worth paying too much attention to, if you don't understand how they work.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2021, 20:21   #12
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Dwarven is really good. I often do my early-mid levels with a dwarven non-DSM armor, the +2 STR / +2 CON is just too convenient to pass, since i like to play damage, with Ring of STR plus whatever else can boost my DPS.
You add FA and rFire and also the fire breath (ok granted, not the most awesome, as acid and cold are generally better at that depth, but still, it's free, ok?) and you got a pretty decent demi-artifact there.

FA allows you to switch boots of FA for boots of stealth. At low depths any stealth goes a long way.

You can break out the diary and write that today i have officially defended stealth as not-useless.
Old January 10, 2021, 22:05   #13
bughunter
Apprentice

bughunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
This just confirms to me that level feelings are not worth paying too much attention to, if you don't understand how they work.
When I first started playing, I didn't trust them.

I assumed that since they were described as "feelings" that there was significant error involved.

So I cleared every level anyway.

Bad nethack habits die hard.
bughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2021, 22:11   #14
bughunter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
You can break out the diary and write that today i have officially defended stealth as not-useless.
Stealth caps easily, especially at higher cl, but it's certainly not useless.

Not to rogues and mages, anyway.

Nuthin' like strolling casually thru a pit filled with nasties, including three or four uniques, bashing the little ones and kiting the bigguns out individually to your preferred terrain which you have already cleared of desirable, fragile loot.
Old January 10, 2021, 23:27   #15
DavidMedley
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter View Post
Stealth caps easily
What does this mean? You need 28 points to get max stealth... Is that what you are saying is easy?
Old January 10, 2021, 23:58   #16
bughunter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
What does this mean? You need 28 points to get max stealth... Is that what you are saying is easy?
Sorry, it would have been more accurate for me to say I never have any problem hitting the stealth cap ("Legendary") when I want to.

(Speed, otoh...)

I am inferring that this relative "ease" is because the RNG puts a few points of stealth on almost half of decent randarts, plus the stealth bonus for 18/*** Dex. By the time I get into my cl40's, stealth is not an issue.

Do some classes or races get a stealth bonus too? Because I've been playing a lot of hobbits and gnomes lately...

Been a long, long time since I played a half-Troll Warrior.

(hmmm... I should try one next)
Old January 11, 2021, 01:56   #17
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Hobbits have the best native stealth in the game so it is not hard to hit legendary with them.

That high enchantment DSM dwarven armor would be at least a 7 and probably an 8 on DL18 if it was lying on the floor.
Old January 11, 2021, 02:05   #18
DavidMedley
Knight

How much stealth is Legendary? How much does Dex contribute?
Old January 11, 2021, 02:55   #19
Neigeden
Rookie

Neigeden is on a distinguished road
I have only been playing Angband for 2 years or so, but I have grown to value stealth pretty highly. Granted, I usually gravitate towards sneaky characters.

Case in point: both this current character and my first (and only) winning character are rogues.

And yes, the DSM is in confirmed Dwarven. It's very convenient having free action on my torso. (what strange sentences this game yields...)
Neigeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2021, 03:27   #20
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
funny, i came back here to speak about this very subject.

I just found a randard shield with +4 stealth, while already at Legendary because of a +6 stealth dragon armor artifact.

I was wondering if stealth continues to have an effect once you go above legendary.

Anyway, to me stealth is still a dump stat, it's useful to have, but most other bonuses in the game tend to be better. Obviously, if your choice is +4 stealth or +1 STR, you would pick stealth. Boots of elvenkind +4, +9 over boots of speed +10. And so on.

But realistically in game you get puny bonuses, and yeah, it does make a difference when you have superb/legendary, you can walk by most big sleepers, but often the choice is "stat boost to walk by sleeper" vs "stat boost to kill sleeper".

Last edited by Sky; January 11, 2021 at 03:50.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsm, level feelings