Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 31, 2008, 15:52   #11
Wraitheist
Adept

Wraitheist is on a distinguished road
An update on my progress:

I maxed my stats, have a permanent speed of +6, and have resists to almost everything. I decided to just start diving. I'm at '3600 and taking every > I see. My main problem now is basically not knowing which monsters and uniques are somewhat safe to fight and which ones should be avoided, since I'm seeing monsters that I've never seen before.

*edit*
One more question: With some equipment shuffling, I can get ESP if I give up 3 speed...is it worth it? As a priest, I'm casting detect constantly anyway, but ESP sure would be nice. Not sure if it is worth losing speed for, though.
Wraitheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2008, 20:26   #12
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
I personally believe it's very worth it to give up +3 speed for ESP. Once you have ESP and get used to using it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2008, 00:27   #13
aeneas
Adept

aeneas is on a distinguished road
Yeah, ESP is generally better than +3 speed. The only time you might have to think about this is when the speed would take you past a breakpoint- basically if you're at +10-+15 or +20-+25 with the speed. The reason for this is that at +10/+20 uniques at that speed can no longer get double moves on you, and at +12/+22 the same thing becomes true of non-uniques. I would still generally prefer ESP though.

EDIT: Umm, that should be +10-+24 and +20-+24.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2008, 01:36   #14
Wraitheist
Adept

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually about about '4000 now and still diving. I am at +19 speed with ESP. I killed some type of Wyrm and it dropped a unique ring AND a unique amulet. Do these things always have such great drops? It wasn't even a unique. I also nearly died while trying to clear a vault. Some type of Wyrm breathed disenchantment (one of two resists I'm lacking) and took me from 600+ hp to 130 or so. It was surround by several other nasty monsters, so my 0% fail TO spell seemed risky since I couldn't get them all. I decided my best bet was my staff of *destruction*. Luckily, it didn't fail. I guess I'd be better off trading my staff for scrolls, eh?

One more question: What is the best way to deal with summoners? There are some Uniques that I've been avoiding for 20 levels because they summon every other turn.
Old September 1, 2008, 01:46   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
getting good drops from nonuniques is why diving is so important. Though two artifacts for one kill is rare. As forassive summons, if you have good melée, you can use an antisummoning corridor. If not, try to stay in corridors whet you can teleport the summons all at once, or where you can dodge around a corner an deal with them one at a time. Runes of protection can help, especially with hockey stick corridors. and if there are a lot of weak summons just ignore them. The space they take up can't be used for more dangerous ones.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2008, 02:29   #16
aeneas
Adept

aeneas is on a distinguished road
I think summoning is a bit out of hand in V. I'd rather see a situation where summoning was toned down but ASC type tactics were ineffective. As it stands, summoning seems to be balanced with the idea that you can get around it most of the time. But, if Angband is not a game of shopping, I also tend to think it should not be a game of digging. Having to use the existing topography adds an interesting dimension to things. One approach you could take is to wait till you're tougher to deal with those uniques. If you're not aiming at a super fast win you can hold off until you are fully kitted, at which point it is a lot easier to deal with the worst of them. This might mean quite a bit of tedium at the end though, as you hunt them down, assuming you don't want to leave them alive when you face M.

Wyrms have the best risk/reward ratio of pretty much anything in the game. They have a big drop, and DROP_GOOD changes the odds a lot. At that depth you don't have to generate all that many drops to get pretty nice gear from them, and the easier ones are harmless past a certain point. But you might find it safer to stick with the elemental Wyrms, particularly the white and red ones, as you can double resist those with a cheap spell. Some of the higher Wyrms can be a bit dicey. You're fast enough to handle them if you're careful, but I'd much rather not get knocked down to 130 hp at that depth. And I'd really rather not get my gear disenchanted.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2008, 07:25   #17
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
I recommend doing the anti-summoning tunnel trick for summoners that don't have overpowered melee attacks (like disenchant). If you find yourself in a group of breathers, figure what their biggest damage breath could be and assume they will all use that breath in the next turn. It's better to teleport away from a pack of dragons before they breathe then to hope for the best. And it means you'll have full health if your teleport lands you somewhere unsavory and you need to use it again.

The further down you get, the less you're going to want to teleport around blindly, as the density and perception of way overpowered monsters increases quickly.

Also remember that ESP can help you kill summoners or other monsters from around corners with ball attacks. I'm all for not exploiting game physics, but I'm not even going to pretend that that I wouldn't AoE that Master Quylthlgg down at the first chance I get.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2008, 15:10   #18
Wraitheist
Adept

Thanks for the tips. How much damage does "Holy Word" do to evil creatures? Things are going pretty well so far. I wish I had more *identify*...I can't see the hidden bonuses from all of the artifacts that I have. I know I could use spoilers, but it is hard to put together the best kit this way. I also need another form of ESP. I have to use the Axe of Theodin for it and it definitely isn't my ideal melee weapon.

Also, I saw someone say that "alter reality" is overpowered. Why? What is so great about re-creating the level? The same effect can be achieved by simply going up and down the stairs, can't it?