Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Oook!

Old December 24, 2007, 18:38   #51
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
You don't have to recompile. Just add a class to the pclass.txt file, and raises the player classes limit in limits.txt. (You have to raise the limit in limits.txt if you add monsters, classes, races, objects, or pretty much anything). I'm assuming since you figured out how to modify existing classes that you can figure out how to add a class and just didn't know you had to raise the limit.
Aha! Yes, that was the problem -- I didn't know what the limits.txt file was for. Thanks for the tip!

Tonight I will make myself a guitarist. And I will name him El Kabong. I figure guitarists will start out with an acoustic guitar, but in the dungeon there will be ego guitars like Telecasters and Les Pauls. Ego guitars will activate for a sonic blast. I figure picks can work like rounded pebbles; you can throw them by hand or shoot them from a sling. (I'll probably completely skew the game mechanics doing this, but I don't really care -- I've never won in 13 years and I don't ever expect to.)

Tragically, I don't think I'm clever enough to implement the nymphs we had in our modded Nethack. You could play your guitar at them and they'd giggle and throw their panties, which you could wear as a helmet. Although I suppose I could just create groupies as a monster class and have them always drop panties when killed. It does seem a bit cruel, but then, so does slaying Slash to steal his three-pickup Les Paul.

I just know this is going to get completely out of control. Heh. Heh heh.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2007, 21:50   #52
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Bandband
Old December 25, 2007, 15:19   #53
darkdrone
Apprentice

darkdrone is on a distinguished road
hey ! I'm Neil,
been playing Angband (and Steam and Quick and NPP and FA) for about a year now ... never won ,

levelled about 200 characters so far ....

currently UnAngband [0.6.2] wip7e Comp 55 char ....

was a Diablo I player (single player) back in the 90s and never graduated to D2, was a broke student who couldnt afford the Munchkin PC required to run D2.

Angband really got me ... the Whole JRR
thing was a big kick after re-reading LoTR and Silmarillion...
darkdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2008, 20:09   #54
kermix
Rookie

kermix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Bandband
By which you mean Rockband? :P
kermix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2008, 20:11   #55
kermix
Rookie

kermix is on a distinguished road
Also, I'm Kermit, and I've been a ToMEaholic for about a year now. I played Moria and V before that, but I don't remember for how long. Also just starting to learn about Steamband, and loving it to pieces.

Last edited by kermix; March 4, 2008 at 18:46.
kermix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2008, 07:53   #56
aeneas
Adept

aeneas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglibertine View Post
watching Asian TV dramas (and occasionally helping to subtitle them), and sucking at Angband.
I've been restraining myself, but.. who did you fansub for? I imagine it must have been one of the "d-addicts" groups... Japanese/Chinese/Korean? Just curious.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2008, 22:56   #57
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
I've been restraining myself, but.. who did you fansub for? I imagine it must have been one of the "d-addicts" groups... Japanese/Chinese/Korean? Just curious.
I actually help out with the community fansub wiki, I'm not part of any particular group. Korean dramas seem to be the ones that wash up there most often in a state where I can actually do any good, so those are the ones I've worked on so far.

Are you another d-addicts person, then? It's always nice to meet another dorama fan.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2008, 19:29   #58
Mr Mushroom
Rookie

Mr Mushroom is on a distinguished road
and finally i find the welcome thread!

Im mr mushroom, ive been playing various *band's for about 7 years, maybe 8. Ive never won, ive never even came close. I do like Oangband though, its like vannila but tweaked.

Oh, the stuff, i like stuff, bring it all to me and i'll horde it.
It breathes on you. You die -more-
Mr Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2008, 20:09   #59
ElectricPaladin
Scout

ElectricPaladin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElectricPaladin
I've posted but never actually introduced myself.

I'm a twenty-something college grad in Mountain View, CA (which is near enough to San Francisco, if you want to know where I am in terms people will actually understand). My dad got me into Moria and later Angband when I was in elementary and middle school. After a long hiatus and a brief flirtation with Nethack (which I might yet play more of), I am back with the *bands. I'm a fantasy fan and tabletop roleplayer by heart, but *bands appeal to my dark powergamer side, and the Tolkein references make me laugh.

Currently, ZAngband has captured my attention, but I'm beginning to think the game has some balance issues, and the appeal more and more interesting races and of getting to pick schools of magic for my spellcasters is starting to fade. My favorite ZAngband characters are Jasmine, the Spectre Death/Sorcery Mage and Namun the Beastman Chaos Warrior. As you can see, I really want ZAngband to be a different experience from Angband. My favorite Angband class is Paladin, and I'll get around to starting one soon.

I also have Steamband and Hellband, though both have thus far been disappointing.
ElectricPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2008, 16:56   #60
myron
Rookie

myron is on a distinguished road
Long time player, former MacPPC variant compiler...just found the forums, used to lurk on r.g.r.a quite a bit but haven't recently...

have played many of the variants...Eyangband, Drangband, ToME, Gumband, Cthangband, steamband, Z, and occasionally Vanilla...

I have won but usually play too aggresive to win...I enjoy the thrill of the chase.
myron is offline   Reply With Quote