Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 30, 2012, 16:57   #1
Alleycat
Rookie

Alleycat is on a distinguished road
Question about Jewelry Stats

Hello all, I am new to the forum and pretty new to Angband. I have however played many roguelikes over the years and have a pretty good understanding of Angband. I would like to say I have tried to find an answer through google and the Online Manual I found for Angband but haven't found what I needed. Sorry if I missed it, but I did search for quite awhile.

I just basically wanted to know what the stats on Jewelry mean. For instance I just found this ring: An Onyx Ring of the Mouse (+0 -9) <+4, +3>. Now, I know the second two are by inspecting the item I'm not sure as to what the -9 is referring to. Also on armor I am curious as to what the second number is. The first i found was my AC by testing it out but I don't know what the second is modifying. For instance a [1, -1] cloak. What does the second number do?

Any insight as to this is greatly appreciated. Again, sorry if I missed it in the online manual, or if there is a site I'm not aware of but I couldn't find anything. I'm really getting into Angband and hope to play for a long time as I have other roguelikes and get to know you guys here.

Last edited by Alleycat; September 30, 2012 at 17:03.
Alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2012, 17:23   #2
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
(x, y) is to-hit and to-dam. The first is a bonus to your chance of hitting monsters in melee (or with a projectile, IIRC); the second is additional damage (in melee only IIRC).

[w, z] is intrinsic armor class and armor bonus. These provide (some) protection from melee hits. The on some items (such as cursed or acid-damaged armor) the bonus is negative and cancels out the intrinsic value. Jewelry obviously has no intrinsic value, because it doesn't put anything physical between your character and a monster.

<a, b, c, ...> is various bonuses (or maluses) to stats, such as STR, INT, speed, stealth, etc.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2012, 17:37   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Your cloak has been damaged by acid, which is why it has a -1 penalty. Acid damage will reduce the AC provided by armor until the net bonus is 0. You can repair some of the damage using Enchant Armor scrolls, or just replace the armor.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2012, 11:53   #4
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Your cloak has been damaged by acid, which is why it has a -1 penalty. Acid damage will reduce the AC provided by armor until the net bonus is 0. You can repair some of the damage using Enchant Armor scrolls, or just replace the armor.
To add to that, disenchantment can reduce all bonuses from weapon or armor, but only at to zero (armor [5,+1] goes to [5,+0], but no further), enchanted bad items can go below zero net (for example [5,-10]) and disenchantment doesn't reduce the penalty (which actually could make some sense). Nothing into game affects weapon dice or armor base value (weapon dice or armor base might vary slightly at the point of creation, but not after that).

Note that heavy bodyarmors sometimes have single (-X) in front of the armor value. That's penalty to hit, but unlike Ring of Mouse, it doesn't display the full to_hit, to_dam pair.

Sequence is always same: (weapon dice), (to_hit,to_dam), [armor base, armor bonus] and <bonuses to PVAL separated by comma> (PVAL meaning any skill/stat bonus which can be given numeric value, like searching, speed, stealth, DEX, WIS etc.)
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote