Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 27, 2012, 14:12   #1
eMeM
Apprentice

eMeM is on a distinguished road
3.4.1 - Scrolls of Deep Descent

Deep Descent is still rather new idea in angband game.

I know many people don't like going back in dungeon levels and never use upstairs but I liked old Deep Descent behaviour as it allowed me to recall from 4950' and then go fast from 50' to 2550'. Believe me, I stored these scrolls at home. Now Deep Descent is only usable for fast divers and for any other player it's trash item.
eMeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2012, 14:49   #2
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Ideally, when getting asked if you want to reset recall depth, you should get the option to type in a level of choice that doesnt exceed your current maxdepth. I doubt that that is easy to program though.

I use deep descent scrolls as a means to dive fast, but also carry them as escape before I have tele level scrolls. The small delay makes them less valuable than the latter, but not useless.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2012, 15:15   #3
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
right now deep descent allows you to skip most of the boring levels between 60 and 95. They also may create a sticky situation when read early, dropping you deeper than you want, (although this isn't newbie friendly, so I'm not sure they should appear at dlevel 1).
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2012, 15:56   #4
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
I could go for random drops on Deep Descent scrolls, so they might drop you anywhere from 2-5 levels deeper, or maybe a weighted calculation so that they'd drop you 2 levels if read between 1 and 25, 3 levels read between 26 and 50, and so on. (Insert hand-wavy explanation about Morgoth's power exerting a stronger pull the deeper you go.)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2012, 16:08   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
What was the reason why they move you based on max depth instead of current depth? It seems like the OP's desired behavior could be achieved by changing that. Sure, divers who want to use Deep Descent from in town will have to burn a Word of Recall first, but that's hardly the end of the world.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2012, 17:40   #6
eMeM
Apprentice

eMeM is on a distinguished road
Exactly, that's what I mean. Now it's just a upgraded, faster and more dangerous version of Word of Recall. Before there was a hidden cool use for this scroll.

Like old *destruction* to detect artifacts. Oh, that was abuse so it was wrong but I like when items have additional use and I like when game offers such options.
eMeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2012, 18:04   #7
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMeM View Post
Exactly, that's what I mean. Now it's just a upgraded, faster and more dangerous version of Word of Recall. Before there was a hidden cool use for this scroll.

Like old *destruction* to detect artifacts. Oh, that was abuse so it was wrong but I like when items have additional use and I like when game offers such options.
DD scrolls also no longer get stocked in huge stacks in the BM so it's hard to imagine them being very useful for this purpose. You'd need 10 scrolls to get to 2500', that's quite a lot.

edit: as far as destruction, I don't mind something that let you detect artifacts, I just dislike that the way to do it also removed everything that was dangerous from the vicinity.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote