AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 30, 2015, 22:28   #1
Talharim
Scout

Talharim is on a distinguished road
What should I throw away?

Hi guys,
I've been playing this game and I wanted to know what artifacts I can safely throw away. I am unsure because I don't know if some weapons with more blows/round can become more useful if I get better rings of damage or gloves that would dramatically increase the to dam.

Are there other items I should be taking with me to the dungeon?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt _Talharim.txt (14.2 KB, 176 views)
Talharim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015, 06:56   #2
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Non-artifacts you can probably throw away:
  • The (Dwarven) armour -- you already have Caspanion which gives +3 CON (which is the only reason you'd use the (Dwarven).
  • Wand of Annihilation -- you don't get any significant bonus and you probably have abysmal success rate at using it. Besides: You'll do a lot more damage in melee.
  • Rod of Treasure Location -- doesn't this just detect gold? (I guess it might have marginal value if it detects objects).
  • Berserk Strength -- they're moderately useful, I guess, but usually I wouldn't carry them if my inventory is cramped.
  • Cure Serious Wounds -- useless at this point.
  • Crossbow of Extra Might + bolts -- personally I wouldn't bother keeping this.

Artifacts:
  • Dagger of Rilia
  • Elvagil
  • Osondir
  • Hithlomir

You can probably dump more of the artifacts, but most of the above is no-brainer stuff which is dominated by other artifacts/items.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015, 09:09   #3
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
I would carry exactly the same consumables and rods/staves as you. The things IŽd drop are the surplus weapons and armor as suggested by AnonymousHero.

Potions of csw: these can go once you have poison resistance; in fact, IŽd wear Caspanion and drop them. As a rule of thumb, once Caspanion is acquired, you can dump all other minor armor artifacts.

Rods of treasure, trap, door detection: these get replaced by rods of detection eventually. I drop them once I have 2 detection rods; the only one I might keep longer is treasure detection.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015, 09:26   #4
Talharim
Scout

The rod of treasure detection also detect objects. That's why I use it.
The conclusion is to dump the Xbow and bolts, those artifact weapons you mentioned, the !CSW and wear Caspanion for the poison resist.
I kept the wands of annihilation because I read in a blog that someone used them to make a lot of damage to Morgoth.
Thanks for the replies
Old July 31, 2015, 09:42   #5
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talharim View Post
The rod of treasure detection also detect objects. That's why I use it.
The conclusion is to dump the Xbow and bolts, those artifact weapons you mentioned, the !CSW and wear Caspanion for the poison resist.
I kept the wands of annihilation because I read in a blog that someone used them to make a lot of damage to Morgoth.
Thanks for the replies
You are playing a warrior. Wands do more damage when handled by mages who get a bonus with magic items. They are not very useful for warriors. Also, Morgoth can drain charges from wands and staffs and heal himself when touching your character.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2015, 00:18   #6
Madoka
Apprentice

Madoka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
Wands do more damage when handled by mages who get a bonus with magic items. They are not very useful for warriors.
I didn't know this. I thought warriors just had a worse success rate. Thanks!
Madoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2015, 01:39   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madoka View Post
I didn't know this. I thought warriors just had a worse success rate. Thanks!
The damage bonus is based on your magic device skill, but if your skill is lower than the level of the item then you get no bonus. Warriors have awful skill, and thus don't get relevant damage bonuses with magic devices. I mean, sure, in the late game you'd get +50% damage with Wands of Magic Missile, but who cares?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2015, 07:59   #8
Talharim
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The damage bonus is based on your magic device skill, but if your skill is lower than the level of the item then you get no bonus. Warriors have awful skill, and thus don't get relevant damage bonuses with magic devices. I mean, sure, in the late game you'd get +50% damage with Wands of Magic Missile, but who cares?
Was this always like this? I don't remember seeing that when I played in the good old days (Close to 15 years ago).
Old August 1, 2015, 09:33   #9
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talharim View Post
Was this always like this? I don't remember seeing that when I played in the good old days (Close to 15 years ago).
It wasn't shown in game until the 4.0 betas. Now there is a description on the (i)nspection screen that shows the damage boost for magic items. Not sure when it was introduced though.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2015, 09:46   #10
Talharim
Scout

There are lots of improvements nowadays. So far they all seem to really improve gameplay.