Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old August 14, 2008, 05:12   #21
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Yes, a given percentage of confusion resistance will cut damage from confusion breaths by (roughly) that percentage. There are relatively few confusion breathers, so as a general rule it's the effect (being confused) that's more dangerous.

More generally, 20% is where the '+' in your resistance table on the 'C' screen turns green (it's yellow from 0-19%), and is the cutoff for effects from all the high elements - except poison, where it's 80%
Old August 16, 2008, 03:48   #22
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
When wielding a branded weapon, a particular brand, such as fire, grants additional damage per attack vs enemies which are not resistant to it, while also granting resistance to the character from the very same elemental attacks.
It seems to me that these provisions effectively cancel each other out. Any enemy with a elemental resistance is likely to also have that similarly branded elemental attack. So, when fighting a fire elemental (or any creature resistant to fire), one could either wield a ??? or burning and gain the resistance to fire (but do no additional damage), or wield a ??? of freezing (for example, or any other) and deliver the extra damage (but then have no resistance to fire based attacks you're likely to face).

I'm sure it just a matter of game balance once again, but having branded weapons that grant resistance to the opposite or a different brand would make for a more useful weapon. A Mace of Burning that grant resistance to cold, or a Dagger of Venom that grants resistance to water.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2008, 08:24   #23
darkdrone
Apprentice

darkdrone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
When wielding a branded weapon, a particular brand, such as fire, grants additional damage per attack vs enemies which are not resistant to it, while also granting resistance to the character from the very same elemental attacks.
It seems to me that these provisions effectively cancel each other out. Any enemy with a elemental resistance is likely to also have that similarly branded elemental attack. So, when fighting a fire elemental (or any creature resistant to fire), one could either wield a ??? or burning and gain the resistance to fire (but do no additional damage), or wield a ??? of freezing (for example, or any other) and deliver the extra damage (but then have no resistance to fire based attacks you're likely to face).

I'm sure it just a matter of game balance once again, but having branded weapons that grant resistance to the opposite or a different brand would make for a more useful weapon. A Mace of Burning that grant resistance to cold, or a Dagger of Venom that grants resistance to water.
i second this query ...

in summation, wielding a Flame-branded weapon having flame resistance is pointless (and so on....for acid/elec/cold) ESPECIALLY for a melee character.

i do recall, however, reading in rgra or this forum, that the whole "Cold monster vulnerable to flame" thing is not true anymore even if it were in the older roguelikes ??

IMO , more knowledgable posters would have more to say on this previous point....
Old August 16, 2008, 13:46   #24
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdrone View Post
i second this query ...

i do recall, however, reading in rgra or this forum, that the whole "Cold monster vulnerable to flame" thing is not true anymore even if it were in the older roguelikes ??

IMO , more knowledgable posters would have more to say on this previous point....
In NPP, at least, there are such monster elemental weaknesses.

--J
Donald Jonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2008, 14:15   #25
buzzkill
Prophet

[FA] 3.5 unarmed combat... How can you tell how much damage you are dealing when using unarmed combat. I am currently playing a druid and using unarmed combat w/power strike specialty. Not knowing my damage potential is driving me crazy!!! Having this info on the (C)haracter screen or visible in the (a) equipment slot, when unarmed, would be great.

Also, here's a bug. (FA 3.5 on Vista/laptop with no keypad). With 3 or more items in my quiver and (F)iring a bow, I cannot select the 3rd ammo by pressing the (2) key. FA says "fire which item (0-2)" but pressing 2 does nothing. In order to select the number 2 slot I must press (*) and then (2), and then it works.

Kudos on the shortened days, it actually seem like time is passing now. It takes about a half hour to walks across a large town. That seems about right to me.

Has anyone ever considered mandatory rest for the player. Monsters are often sleeping but the player never has to, and certainly wouldn't while healthy. Maybe a progressive 'fatigued'/'more fatigued'/'tired' feeling would overcome a player after days with no rest (with appropriate minuses to skills). It would be kind of like hunger, I guess. I'm just throwing this out there. I don't know if it's a practical or desirable feature. It just seems unfair that perfectly healthy monsters are often caught napping while the player never is.
Old August 20, 2008, 14:34   #26
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
[FA] 3.5 unarmed combat... How can you tell how much damage you are dealing when using unarmed combat. I am currently playing a druid and using unarmed combat w/power strike specialty. Not knowing my damage potential is driving me crazy!!! Having this info on the (C)haracter screen or visible in the (a) equipment slot, when unarmed, would be great.
On the 'C' screen, under (Fighting) on the left, there's average damage per blow (in fact, it's the average damage done by your last ten hitting blows).

Quote:
Also, here's a bug. (FA 3.5 on Vista/laptop with no keypad). With 3 or more items in my quiver and (F)iring a bow, I cannot select the 3rd ammo by pressing the (2) key. FA says "fire which item (0-2)" but pressing 2 does nothing. In order to select the number 2 slot I must press (*) and then (2), and then it works.
Yeah, that's probably an issue with it thinking 2 is an arrow key, or something. That stuff still isn't quite sorted out yet.

Quote:
Kudos on the shortened days, it actually seem like time is passing now. It takes about a half hour to walks across a large town. That seems about right to me.
Thanks for the feedback - I like it better, too.

Quote:
Has anyone ever considered mandatory rest for the player. Monsters are often sleeping but the player never has to, and certainly wouldn't while healthy. Maybe a progressive 'fatigued'/'more fatigued'/'tired' feeling would overcome a player after days with no rest (with appropriate minuses to skills). It would be kind of like hunger, I guess. I'm just throwing this out there. I don't know if it's a practical or desirable feature. It just seems unfair that perfectly healthy monsters are often caught napping while the player never is.
I don't think this would add much - it would probably just increase recalls to rest in town.
Old August 20, 2008, 14:36   #27
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
See this thread.
Quote:
Probably to do with [2] being a scrolling button. There are no end of funnies in that department at the moment.

[Edit]Beaten to it by someone who knows better...[/Edit]
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2008, 02:13   #28
buzzkill
Prophet

Thanks for link to the full monty on Drudical damage. That's exactly what I was looking for. I checked my (C)haracter screen early in the game but it showed nothing in Av. Dam/Blow. Maybe it doesn't show a number until after 10 successful attacks cause it seems to be working now.

Occasionally my druids attempts to confuse a monster when attacking, and often succeeds. Are there any other special attacks I have to look forward to. I'm only level 10 right now.
Old August 21, 2008, 06:07   #29
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Occasionally my druids attempts to confuse a monster when attacking, and often succeeds. Are there any other special attacks I have to look forward to.
No, just colourful names
Old August 23, 2008, 15:52   #30
buzzkill
Prophet

An Improved Map?

It would be nice to be able to scroll the world (M)ap using the arrow keys, so that you can see where you're headed without viewing memap.txt. You could also view terrain type and distance, something memap.txt doesn't offer. This would be especially useful for new players (unless wandering aimlessly through the wilderness is part of the fun).

and maybe a bug... when recalling to a wilderness level on which I had previously fallen through a trap door the (M)ap incorrectly labels it as a dungeon (although no stairs exist). I've noticed this more than once.