Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 11, 2013, 13:40   #171
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
In particular, a great comment by d_m on page 5 started a discussion that showed it was impossible for the system to have a set of three properties generally deemed essential and so any attempts to get the third one would give up one of the others.

OK, I'm going off to re-read the thread...
Did you know that number of posts per page is customisable, with possible values of 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 100? 188 posts in the thread means we can rule out yours being set to 50 or 100, but I have just read at least the first half of the thread while trying to keep in mind to watch out for a post of d_m's fitting your criteria on page 5 according to one of the other numbers, which page I assume is calculated counting backwards from 188.

It's 12:40 am here and my brain is hurting.
Old November 11, 2013, 14:14   #172
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Did you know that number of posts per page is customisable, with possible values of 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 100? 188 posts in the thread means we can rule out yours being set to 50 or 100, but I have just read at least the first half of the thread while trying to keep in mind to watch out for a post of d_m's fitting your criteria on page 5 according to one of the other numbers, which page I assume is calculated counting backwards from 188.

It's 12:40 am here and my brain is hurting.
I didn't know that. It sounds useful! It was post 47, but now I see that it was building on things from even earlier, like post 32.

edit: also check out Atanvarno's posts in the thread. (S)he might have the highest average quality post on this whole forum.

Last edited by half; November 11, 2013 at 14:47.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2013, 22:21   #173
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
One of the interesting comments in the thread you cite is that this kind of discussion may stretch the limits of what can be achieved in a threaded forum. A wiki format may be more manageable.

I bet the comments you get in your other thread about 'ideas you're not considrering' will be even more all over the show.

A.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:57   #174
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Whether or not this ends up actually implemented or not, it's a fantastic idea. Best of all, it opens up the possibility of allowing specified inventory slots - which we already really have with the quiver, but nobody had thought of it like that.

Fair warning to everyone - read this, if you don't like it, you'd better start marshalling arguments against it.
I'm a little biased here as I mainly play (and maintain) a variant that is multiplayer and need to think carefully not about the player but about player interactions. Clearly I like better that the town stays like it is (random stocks, full restocking of basic supplies), and rather see an "ordering" system for endgame supplies to eliminate scumming and make gold more useful.

Introducing potion slots would break ironman where your supplies are limited and need to be carried at any time.

If you never seen the concept used in ToME4, you should check it. Potions and scrolls have been replaced by infusions and runes, which have unlimited uses (eliminates scumming), but also a cooldown, meaning that you cannot use them indefinitely. Every character starts with 3 slots for consumables and can expand them up to 5. So, for example, you can carry two healing infusions, a speed infusion, a phase door rune and a teleportation rune. They will last for the whole game, or until you find better ones. During a fight, you will have to manage your cooldowns, since you won't be able to heal each turn or escape at will.
Old November 12, 2013, 13:03   #175
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
There's tons of potential "abuses" for fighting Morgoth that really amount to being willing to use all the supplies you've gathered throughout the game. We can make the final fight harder by simply making those supplies not work (e.g. letting monsters resist Teleport Other / Destruction), but I think really we ought to reward creative problem-solving against Morgoth. The real problem with the final fight is that the community has shared their approaches to dealing with him, so they're "common knowledge" for us now. Someone who isn't on the forums won't have anywhere near such a huge advantage against him.

That said, the specific issue of LOS abuse is not limited to Morgoth, and can be relatively easily fixed by tweaking the LOS rules. My preferred approach is to allow sight of monsters in hockeystick situations, but only allow targeting if the monster can target you back. In other words, for vision you project from the player to the monster; for projectiles you project from the monster to the player.
This issue has been fixed in 3.5 with the new FOV code. The only remaining case where you can abuse LOS is the "chess knight move" case (one square in one direction, two squares in the other).
Old November 12, 2013, 13:45   #176
maboleth
Rookie

maboleth is on a distinguished road
Sorry for my ignorance, I have been absent for quite some time... is there a specific date set for v3.5 release?
maboleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2013, 14:45   #177
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I think the devs set a goal of having a certain set of bugs fixed, and that 3.5 will go out once those are done.

So, "When It's Done (tm)"

3.5 looks wayyyy better than 3.3.x and 3.4.x from what I've seen so far, I'm pretty stoked about it.
Old November 12, 2013, 15:15   #178
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maboleth View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, I have been absent for quite some time... is there a specific date set for v3.5 release?
Worth adding that you can play it now if you want (I do, even though it's still a little bit crashy) on www.rephial.org/nightlies

And agreed that it's a huge step forward.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2013, 20:55   #179
maboleth
Rookie

maboleth is on a distinguished road
Great, thanks! Can't wait for the final!

And oh, too bad Android version currently does not support any of the graphic tiles. I was the maintainer & creator of late Gervais tiles in the Ruehelmann days.
maboleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2013, 02:47   #180
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
I haven't played with forced descent, but if it is set as the default, I would like to see one other change implemented with it and that would be for the native depth of scrolls of deep descent to be increased. Currently, if I am playing a priest that has not yet learned OOD and the unknown scroll I read turns out to be deep descent, I start looking for the nearest upstairs since I'm usually beyond what I can handle when I know that Bullroarer, Lagduf, Mughash, Brodda, and Wormtongue are all likely to make toast of me if they find me (and several of those are trouble even if I do have OOD if I don't have enough mana yet).
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote