AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 25, 2022, 12:23   #1
gtrudeau88
Scout

gtrudeau88 is on a distinguished road
How may a ranger defeat Morgoth

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=24861

I need arrows of slay evil or holy might which I don't have. I've tried hitting him with arrows and then teleporting him away before he can summon aid. But by the time he gets back he has regenerated much of the damage I did to him. Any suggestions?

Morgoth is the last unique
gtrudeau88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2022, 14:48   #2
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Since you arent playing with forced descent, you can just farm for better ammo and/or a better launcher. Great vaults usually have plenty. As a ranger, you have the create arrow spell - turn any staff you find into arrows, also buy staves of teleportation from the shop. Eventually youll get slay evil. Base 1d4 slay evil arrows are fine, the slay multiplier does more for the damage output than the base damage does.

Lastly, you can prolong the period in which you are shooting at Morgoth before you have to teleport him away by making clever use of the LOS rules and by using phase door if he gets close and if the circumstances allow for it.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2022, 15:41   #3
Bill Peterson
Adept

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrudeau88 View Post

I need arrows of slay evil or holy might which I don't have. I've tried hitting him with arrows and then teleporting him away before he can summon aid. But by the time he gets back he has regenerated much of the damage I did to him. Any suggestions?

Have you tried beating on him with that blade of chaos? You'd probably need more healing potions, but you can farm for them while you're looking for more arrows.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2022, 16:54   #4
gtrudeau88
Scout

What is LOS? I haven't tried hitting him with the Blade of Chaos yet. Was using a different weapon up until now.

Will switch to the bow instead of the crossbow.
Old January 25, 2022, 17:54   #5
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
LOS is the acronym line of sight. It is asymmetric in Angband, when you stay 1 tile back from a corner and a monster approaches the corner, you can target it but it cant target you. I am sure you know this - but maybe not all of the implications. It is hard to utilize versus Morgoth, but not impossible.

I wouldnt recommend going toe to toe with him using that BoC - it will take long to whittle him down with 384 damage per round, youll run out of consumables before he croaks.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2022, 18:17   #6
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Bow of Might is pretty weak for your depth. Do keep looking for better. The Blade of Chaos isnt actually very good vs Morgoth. You need one with slay evil and/or extra attacks and/or extra dice.

You have a lot of junk at home. Look carefully at all equipment and consider whether it is something you will ever use.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2022, 18:47   #7
sffp
Swordsman

sffp is on a distinguished road
Didn't you find any seeker arrows/bolts - the base attack dice is bigger so they usually do more damage.

consider prepping some diagonal shafts to create LOS corridors (you have stone to mud - this is very handy)

##### P
#####
##### ##
#### ##
### ##
## ##
@

Above Morgoth can't see you, so he will not summon or attack - while you CAN see Morgoth and should be able to fire multiple arrows before he gets to you.

scrolls of phase door - don't teleport, phase door. You'll stay close enough to heal (cure Crit/Healing/*Healling*/Life and get back in the battle instead of
letting Morgoth heal

more mass banishment would be useful
sffp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2022, 20:10   #8
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:

What I do is after I teleport Morgoth away, I quickly heal up with potions, then teleport myself. This has a likelihood of me landing near him and engaging him sooner, thus preventing him from regenerating too much.

You can watch me employing this tactic in action here: https://youtu.be/dyqXHrIw43g You might want to scrub ahead in the video to 4:53.

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2022, 23:13   #9
gtrudeau88
Scout

I got Morgoth and this is my 3rd win. I attacked almost solely with arrows and wands of annihilation. I had gathered about 15 recharging scrolls which I used to recharge the wands, my staffs of healing, and the staffs of banishment.

A couple of times I teleported him away and 2x I teleported myself away. He didn't have uniques to call upon which helped. I did have 2 mass banishment scrolls at the start of the fight which helped.
Old January 26, 2022, 04:08   #10
mrfy
Swordsman

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I got Morgoth and this is my 3rd win. I attacked almost solely with arrows and wands of annihilation. I had gathered about 15 recharging scrolls which I used to recharge the wands, my staffs of healing, and the staffs of banishment.

A couple of times I teleported him away and 2x I teleported myself away. He didn't have uniques to call upon which helped. I did have 2 mass banishment scrolls at the start of the fight which helped.
Nice victory! That's pretty close to how I operate as a ranger against him. I do try to save arrows of Holy Might at home for the final battle, along with Slay Evil.

Every staff I don't need, I turn into arrows and then try to brand them (if applicable). Most of the time they turn out to be not as good as what I already have.

I'm not sure that the wands of Annihilation are worth it. Currently they do 312.5 damage per round for me with a 95.7% fail rate. Arrows do more per round, especially branded ones.

Then I just need enough banishment, mass banishment and healing to go along with it.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote