AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 27, 2016, 11:10   #41
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivra View Post
Teleport Away failed to work when Saruman was standing on rubble.

This is hardly a bug. Is it?
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016, 11:39   #42
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all these, keep them coming. I'm in the middle of some structural stuff at the moment, but I should be back to bugfixing before too long - and best of all, the structural stuff should introduce new bugs!
Old December 1, 2016, 22:32   #43
Nivra
Adept

Nivra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbee View Post
This is hardly a bug. Is it?
Good question. I was going off the assumption that if I can see it and/or shoot at it, I can teleport it. But maybe he ducks behind the rubble when he sees me pull out my wand?
Nivra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2016, 22:51   #44
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivra View Post
Good question. I was going off the assumption that if I can see it and/or shoot at it, I can teleport it. But maybe he ducks behind the rubble when he sees me pull out my wand?
I can imagine rubble either always preventing teleport (and other spells), always allowing, or something in between. What do people think?
Old December 2, 2016, 01:11   #45
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I can imagine rubble either always preventing teleport (and other spells), always allowing, or something in between. What do people think?
I don't much care whether it blocks or doesn't, but I'd rather it be 100% consistent, whichever method is chosen.

I believe right now spells and missiles can't hit enemies in walls; why don't we just keep that behavior?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2016, 02:25   #46
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I don't much care whether it blocks or doesn't, but I'd rather it be 100% consistent, whichever method is chosen.

I believe right now spells and missiles can't hit enemies in walls; why don't we just keep that behavior?
+1 here. Oh, and just as an aside, the fact that monsters CAN cast spells and breath from inside walls, but are completely immune to player attacks until they leave the wall, has always been, to me, the balance for the player's knight move for spells and missiles against monsters.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016, 03:54   #47
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Walls are traditionally absolute protection against anything other than melee, and there are plenty of good reasons why that should remain so. The question is whether things that aren't quite solid walls (like piles of rubble, or some of the exotic terrain types that have been discussed) should count the same way. I'm inclined to think that the answer is no, or at least that they should only provide partial protection. It makes sense that rubble fouls up archery or bolt spells, but beam, ball, and breath effects should probably hit the target that's standing in the middle of it, as these normally can penetrate obstacles. And different features might have different combinations of permeability; perhaps a windowed wall allows bolts and beams to penetrate, but blocks the propagation of a ball or breath effect which is centered to one side of it.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016, 07:49   #48
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
Walls are traditionally absolute protection against anything other than melee, and there are plenty of good reasons why that should remain so. The question is whether things that aren't quite solid walls (like piles of rubble, or some of the exotic terrain types that have been discussed) should count the same way. I'm inclined to think that the answer is no, or at least that they should only provide partial protection. It makes sense that rubble fouls up archery or bolt spells, but beam, ball, and breath effects should probably hit the target that's standing in the middle of it, as these normally can penetrate obstacles. And different features might have different combinations of permeability; perhaps a windowed wall allows bolts and beams to penetrate, but blocks the propagation of a ball or breath effect which is centered to one side of it.
Just wait until we have the quantum double slit experiment. A new spell for Raal's - Quantum wave, ... or is it particle...
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 07:06   #49
Nivra
Adept

Nivra is on a distinguished road
Stone to Mud doesn't work for diagonal down-left.

Wasted my only 2 wand charges trying it. Then saved, and wanted to confirm, so entered wizard mode.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cytar.zip (12.4 KB, 51 views)
Nivra is offline   Reply With Quote