AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old December 27, 2016, 06:17   #181
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Its rare that an off weapon brand is useful. The majority are not very helpful (slay animal or poison brand), or already coverd by the same brand present on the weapon, or simply worse than standard options for the slot, like your case.
Are you kidding? Glaive of Pain + Ring of Acid was a very standard combination back in the days when elemental rings gave elemental brands in melee. Those 9d6 damage dice get an impressive boost, making the brand an effective Ring of Damage (+62) on average. ...in retrospect, that makes it pretty obvious why off-weapon brands got made vastly more rare.

Of course, the Glaive of Pain isn't available in a randarts game, but even a puny 2d5 Longsword gets an extra 12 damage/blow on average, which is quite respectable from the amulet slot.

Acid brand is also pretty reliable; there's many dangerous enemies that aren't resistant to acid. Sauron is of course the most notable of these. I mean, yes, many brands are not as helpful. The only really useful ones in the endgame are acid, evil, undead, demon, and maybe dragon -- which leaves poison, frost, fire, electricity, animal, orc, troll, giant...what am I forgetting? Anyway, there's plenty of non-useful brands. But that doesn't mean that all off-weapon brands are useless.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2016, 23:29   #182
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Are you kidding? Glaive of Pain + Ring of Acid was a very standard combination back in the days when elemental rings gave elemental brands in melee. Those 9d6 damage dice get an impressive boost, making the brand an effective Ring of Damage (+62) on average. ...in retrospect, that makes it pretty obvious why off-weapon brands got made vastly more rare.

Of course, the Glaive of Pain isn't available in a randarts game, but even a puny 2d5 Longsword gets an extra 12 damage/blow on average, which is quite respectable from the amulet slot.

Acid brand is also pretty reliable; there's many dangerous enemies that aren't resistant to acid. Sauron is of course the most notable of these. I mean, yes, many brands are not as helpful. The only really useful ones in the endgame are acid, evil, undead, demon, and maybe dragon -- which leaves poison, frost, fire, electricity, animal, orc, troll, giant...what am I forgetting? Anyway, there's plenty of non-useful brands. But that doesn't mean that all off-weapon brands are useless.
No, not all off weapon brands are always useless. But why do you state that in such a way as to make it look like it contradicts my post ?
All I am saying is that I often find off-weapon brands in my randart games, but that I rarely end up using them because most of the time, other items are better in that slot. Rare != never.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017, 11:55   #183
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Today I have found the Robe of Helen. No wonder why she goes outside so lightly clothed: it gives her immunity to cold!
Old February 22, 2017, 14:23   #184
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
The levels beyond 100 were quite interesting. One I started in a very large lava cavern filled with dozens of greater demons. Later I found the Arkenstone of Gatang (+8, +7) which provides immunity to cold and rPoison. Between this, and the Cloak of Tiriand I found (+4, +7) my Long Sword 'Naenya' of extra attacks <+2> (+12, +21) (4d5) I'm doing 900 to not rPois, almost 800 to others, 1200+ to Undead and that's before I self haste and put on a RoD.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote