Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2016, 23:44   #11
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 420
bron is on a distinguished road
Years ago, I also found a +23 speed ring:
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10647

Seems like its some weird artifact of the RNG, since my *second* biggest ring ever is +16
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016, 23:59   #12
Sky
Knight
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Glasgae
Age: 44
Posts: 562
Sky is on a distinguished road
crap .. i came here to brag about my RoS +18, dropped by a summon on DL73.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2016, 11:58   #13
Grotug
Knight
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 618
Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
crap .. i came here to brag about my RoS +18, dropped by a summon on DL73.
Wow, I thought my +15 was good.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016, 04:18   #14
Avenger
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wisconsin U.S.
Age: 30
Posts: 88
Avenger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Avenger
I think the maximum + depends on the variant.

MAngband used to have(and maybe still does, I'm not sure) some kind of infinite generation process, with each step becoming progressively rarer. There was a player who had dual +18s, which were obscene.

In current TomeNET, to the best of my knowledge at least, Speed rings are capped at +15, and they're super rare... my best at the moment is an 11, and I haven't found anything bigger then a +9 the entire time I've been back, within the last month or so.

That 23 must have been on the infinite process, but the odds have to be astronomical against it. The RNG must have taken pity on you in your quest to win without egos, lol.

Bet you won't try that over on TomeNET, though
__________________
TN(4.7.0a) C "Melechesh" MaPa L:50 DL:6350 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:Bluesteel Blade of Gondolin 3d5 (+21, +20) (+2)
TN(Do/PosCh) W H- D-- c-- f PV s- d+ P++ M?
C S++ I+ So B- ac- GHB- SQ RQ V+ F:TomeNET Game Progression
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016, 12:30   #15
PowerWyrm
Veteran
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,891
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
I think the maximum + depends on the variant.

MAngband used to have(and maybe still does, I'm not sure) some kind of infinite generation process, with each step becoming progressively rarer. There was a player who had dual +18s, which were obscene.

In current TomeNET, to the best of my knowledge at least, Speed rings are capped at +15, and they're super rare... my best at the moment is an 11, and I haven't found anything bigger then a +9 the entire time I've been back, within the last month or so.

That 23 must have been on the infinite process, but the odds have to be astronomical against it. The RNG must have taken pity on you in your quest to win without egos, lol.

Bet you won't try that over on TomeNET, though
I confirm that MAngband uses the same process as Angband, and someone also found a +23 speed ring not long ago (and died minutes afterwards heh). Rings of Speed in TomeNET use the same process, but the code puts a hardcoded cap of +15 (and rarity is 3 instead of 1).
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016, 16:17   #16
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,843
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
I think the maximum + depends on the variant.

MAngband used to have(and maybe still does, I'm not sure) some kind of infinite generation process, with each step becoming progressively rarer. There was a player who had dual +18s, which were obscene.
It's a coinflip system -- the ring starts with a level-dependent bonus, and then starts flipping coins. Every time it comes up heads, the ring gets +1 and the coin is flipped again; if it comes up tails, then it stops. At 4450', I'm pretty sure you hit at or near the cap on the level-dependent bonus, which I think is +10. Which means that to get to +23 you need to pass 13 consecutive coinflips, at odds of 1 in 8192. So, pretty rare, but by no means impossible.

What would be really impressive is getting that ring at 50'.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016, 17:28   #17
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,409
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It's a coinflip system -- the ring starts with a level-dependent bonus, and then starts flipping coins. Every time it comes up heads, the ring gets +1 and the coin is flipped again; if it comes up tails, then it stops. At 4450', I'm pretty sure you hit at or near the cap on the level-dependent bonus, which I think is +10. Which means that to get to +23 you need to pass 13 consecutive coinflips, at odds of 1 in 8192. So, pretty rare, but by no means impossible.

What would be really impressive is getting that ring at 50'.
I've quoted this before, but here it seems even more perfectly apropos:

Rosencrantz: Hmmm. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads. Heads.

[Guildenstern grabs the coin, checks both sides, then tosses it back to Rosencrantz]

Rosencrantz: Heads.

[Guildenstern pulls a coin out of his own pocket and flips it]

Rosencrantz: Bet? Heads I win?

[Guildenstern looks at coin and tosses it to Rosencrantz]

Rosencrantz: Again? Heads.

Guildenstern: Consider: One, probability is a factor which operates *within* natural forces. Two, probability is *not* operating as a factor. Three, we are now held within un-, sub- or super-natural forces. Discuss.

Rosencrantz: What?
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017, 19:22   #18
Sky
Knight
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Glasgae
Age: 44
Posts: 562
Sky is on a distinguished road
i just found an amulet of weaponmastery.

on DL3.

dungeon. level. three.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA - Staff of Holy Might poisons Ent Druid? Ingwe Ingweron Variants 5 August 28, 2016 03:36
[FA] Holy Light Specialization tg122 Variants 3 November 3, 2013 23:54
Holy Avenger Question Moriwen Vanilla 12 November 3, 2012 10:05
Holy Infusions pav Vanilla 38 April 8, 2010 22:53
Holy Infusions momo125 Vanilla 1 May 23, 2008 03:52


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.