Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old December 8, 2015, 06:59   #41
wobbly
Knight

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Minor bug with rods of detect traps. They don't id if there isn't a trap but they still give you the green DTrap at the bottom of the screen. Not that I mind, I never liked having to constantly spam it till I found a trap. Maybe it should just id, trap or not.

Edit: Amusing, it will automatically detect when I leave the trap zone & is still un-ided. I wonder whether un-ided perception staffs still auto-id themselves too when you pick them up.

Edit: Re device stacking, this is particularly annoying if you want to macro your devices.

Last edited by wobbly; December 8, 2015 at 07:24.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015, 12:42   #42
wobbly
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Edit: Re device stacking, this is particularly annoying if you want to macro your devices.
Apologies for the triple post & self-quote but I thought I better clarify what I mean. In the older versions I used to inscribe my wands around the a(im) key. e.g. light(@aa), stinking cloud(@as), frost bolt(@az). Very convenient. In the new system if I have 2 wands of light @aa when the 1st runs out it wont move on to the 2nd.

Suggestion: default to the wand with highest power that still has charges. So 2 magic missiles @aa it would empty the strongest then move to the weaker. A wand of frost bolts @aa & a wand of magic missiles @aa. Empty frost bolts, move on to magic missiles.

Another much more minor convenience issue: It'd be nice if wands left in the home recharged. Just fake it instead of tracking it, if you recall set them to full.
Old December 8, 2015, 13:24   #43
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Another much more minor convenience issue: It'd be nice if wands left in the home recharged. Just fake it instead of tracking it, if you recall set them to full.
This isn't quite as convenient, but in case you aren't already doing this -- sleeping at the inn will generally recharge any wands in your pack to full, just by virtue of so much time passing.

I actually think at this point you should just be able to sleep in your home. The cost of doing it at the inn is so small that what is even the point, and it's your damned house!!
Old December 8, 2015, 14:52   #44
Regalia
Apprentice

Regalia is on a distinguished road
For all your recharging problems I suggest this:
A:\e\e\eR100\r
T:\t
It's so very very convenient.

Onto questions though: with all those changes to devices, what is the difference between rods and staves with the same effect (other than weight)? Are there any benefits to using one over the other (assuming you don't have bonuses to either, not a devicemaster and so on)?

Other thing: having a single rod of recall is rather risky. Typically, I'd wait to obtain more before dropping scrolls entirely. In pcb4 that would mean using multiple slots which is kind of meh... so, is there a way to proof your rods; does the "resistant" (or whatsitsname) "ego" prevent all damage to rods?

Edit: Similarly, I cannot stack up on say, 20 rods of escaping (now getaway) to substitute for scrolls of teleportation. Any tips here?

Last edited by Regalia; December 8, 2015 at 15:10.
Regalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015, 17:34   #45
debo
Veteran

Rods recharge faster than everything else, I think. Also certain activations can't show up on certain device types.

Re: escaping -- what's wrong with a big staff of teleportation? You may also find a getaway rod with a lot of charges, or something.

The rod-of-recall risk bothers me a bit too. I always thought this should just be a class power for literally every character.
Old December 8, 2015, 19:49   #46
Regalia
Apprentice

True, not much of a reason anymore. Rods used to (probably still do) have a slightly lower fail rate than other devices (with high enough device skill) so I preferred to use them for clutch abilities. I guess it doesn't matter much.
Old December 8, 2015, 20:01   #47
wobbly
Knight

Can rods of recall actually be destroyed? They can't in vanilla & I've never seen 1 go in the older poscheng versions, haven't found 1 of the new 1s yet,
Old December 8, 2015, 20:09   #48
Regalia
Apprentice

At the very least they can be stolen.

Edit: I was pretty sure I've seen a rod explode... but I cannot duplicate it or see anything about it in the code so I guess I was wrong.

Last edited by Regalia; December 9, 2015 at 09:45.
Old December 9, 2015, 12:06   #49
nikheizen
Apprentice

nikheizen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalia View Post
Edit: I was pretty sure I've seen a rod explode... but I cannot duplicate it or see anything about it in the code so I guess I was wrong.

It definitely happens. Not sure why though. I have had a rod and 2 staves blow up.
nikheizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015, 13:25   #50
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikheizen View Post

It definitely happens. Not sure why though. I have had a rod and 2 staves blow up.
If a device is cursed, it has 1 in 6 chance of exploding. Uncursed devices can't explode from use.

https://github.com/poschengband/posc...c/cmd6.c#L1168

They can, however, be popped by elemental damage, and I'm not sure recall wands are protected from this in poscheng.