Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 6, 2015, 17:52   #1
tprice
Apprentice

tprice is on a distinguished road
4.0.4 bugs

Well i just downloaded the new version onto my Windows 7 machine, copied over my 4.0.3 user directory, and found a repeatable crash bug my first trip back to town.

i was doing a bit of inventory management in town and went to drop a stack of staves of ID inscribed with what i thought was just !k!d!v (aka don't do something stupid) and it would crash the game every time i tried to drop 1 or more of them... Turns out when i looked closer i had a leading space in the inscription. re-inscribing correctly fixed the crash.

error text is
assertion failed!
program: _
File: z-textblock.c
line 115
expression: new_length >= 0

a zip file with the save file and a screenshot of the error is attached.

Thomas Price
aka The Bookworm
tprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2015, 17:58   #2
tprice
Apprentice

tprice is on a distinguished road
lets try that attachment again this time paying attention to the file size limits and cropping the error message screencap

Thomas Price
aka The Bookworm
Attached Files
File Type: zip angband error.zip (92.0 KB, 59 views)
tprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2015, 20:34   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the savefile. Also, thanks for providing the ideal first bug - genuine bug, reproducible, gets the bug thread started, but not going really going to affect the playing of this version too much
Old December 7, 2015, 10:03   #4
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Sorry, but I've found another bug while playing the PWMAngband comp character and I've managed to reproduced it with the Angband code.

First, get a spellcaster which wields a weapon that improves its primary stat (INT for a mage, WIS for a priest...). Then put in your inventory a weapon that does NOT improve its primary stat. Then inspect that weapon. After you get back to the main screen, the character will have its mana reduced...

Looking at the code, this happens because inspecting something calls calc_bonuses() just the same way it calls it while truly updating the bonuses. And calc_bonuses() now calls calc_mana() which modifies max mana. The fix is then trivial, just add a parameter to calc_bonuses() that tells if the subfunctions should alter the player structure (update) or not (object info), and only alter it if that parameter is TRUE.

calc_torch(): don't update the visuals, just calculate state->cur_light
calc_mana(): don't update the mana, just calculate state->cumber_glove and state->cumber_armor
Old December 7, 2015, 21:08   #5
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Sorry, but I've found another bug while playing the PWMAngband comp character and I've managed to reproduced it with the Angband code.

First, get a spellcaster which wields a weapon that improves its primary stat (INT for a mage, WIS for a priest...). Then put in your inventory a weapon that does NOT improve its primary stat. Then inspect that weapon. After you get back to the main screen, the character will have its mana reduced...

Looking at the code, this happens because inspecting something calls calc_bonuses() just the same way it calls it while truly updating the bonuses. And calc_bonuses() now calls calc_mana() which modifies max mana. The fix is then trivial, just add a parameter to calc_bonuses() that tells if the subfunctions should alter the player structure (update) or not (object info), and only alter it if that parameter is TRUE.

calc_torch(): don't update the visuals, just calculate state->cur_light
calc_mana(): don't update the mana, just calculate state->cumber_glove and state->cumber_armor
If I'm reading how this works correctly, the workaround until a fix is released is just to reinspect your wis/int-bonus weapon, yes? For that matter, it should hypothetically be possible to abuse this bug by keeping a crappy item with int/wis bonus in inventory and just inspecting it to fool the game into giving you more mana, right?
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015, 12:04   #6
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
If I'm reading how this works correctly, the workaround until a fix is released is just to reinspect your wis/int-bonus weapon, yes? For that matter, it should hypothetically be possible to abuse this bug by keeping a crappy item with int/wis bonus in inventory and just inspecting it to fool the game into giving you more mana, right?
Unfortunately not, because only the max mana is recalculated. So if you have 100/100 mana and you inspect something that drops it to 30/30, once you redraw your screen, you have 30/100 mana. If you have 30/30 mana and you inspect something that increases it to 100/100, once you redraw your screen, it is back to 30/30.
Old December 8, 2015, 17:31   #7
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
A very minor bug. When you first encounter a monster, say a sleeping unique, target it and then use the 'l'ook command to figure out what the monster's vulnerabilities and dangers are, the "more" prompt appears in the middle of the title description line for the monster. If you 'l'ook again, the problem has resolved itself. Happens with each new monster encountered.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015, 17:50   #8
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

This one's not necessarily a bug, but I've never understood it. A drolem (a constructed dragon) fires a missile? @ receives the message, "The drolem fires a large arrow." How is it that a dragon, constructed though it may be, is firing a large arrow?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
Old December 8, 2015, 18:08   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
This one's not necessarily a bug, but I've never understood it. A drolem (a constructed dragon) fires a missile? @ receives the message, "The drolem fires a large arrow." How is it that a dragon, constructed though it may be, is firing a large arrow?
It has a ballista in its mouth alongside the Zyklon-B dispensers.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015, 23:24   #10
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It has a ballista in its mouth alongside the Zyklon-B dispensers.
Ah, got it. Makes perfect sense now. It's not a Frankenstein's monster like the other golems, it's a robotic dragon! Hmm, I bet Debo would have it shooting rockets!