Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old July 24, 2016, 03:27   #11
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
I hate posting non-wins to the ladder, but I will definitely post it if he gets all the way. I just noticed that in the artifacts I am wearing, I have two different activation abilities of the "faster for a variety then slower", so this guy seems destined to be built for speed.

I really need to find an artifact right now with telepathy to replace my headgear of telepathy, because I've got a great headgear artifact that I'd like to use. I could also use a piece of quality gear with hold life, because that's a swap for me right now. Bodykeeping is also a swap because I don't have much stat protection.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016, 03:35   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Telepathy on as a random ability shows up pretty often on ego items--very often I use a cloak ot magi for it; less often, a bow of Lothlorien or crown of the magi. I used to use *Slay Evil* weapons quite often before they were nerfed.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016, 04:19   #13
Egavactip
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Telepathy on as a random ability shows up pretty often on ego items--very often I use a cloak ot magi for it; less often, a bow of Lothlorien or crown of the magi. I used to use *Slay Evil* weapons quite often before they were nerfed.
Yes, hopefully I should get something before too long. My bow artifact right now gives me, among other things, +4 strength, +4 tunnelling, resistance to fear and confusion, see invisible, and sprinting, so a bow would compete with that. A crown of the magi would compete with the other nifty artifact I'd like to use. My current artifact cloak has Rnether (my only such) and sprinting. right now armor, shield or even perhaps gauntlets would be more desirable; those are among my more replaceable items right now.
Old July 24, 2016, 07:22   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Sprinting isn't all that useful, since when it wears off, your speed drops by 20. It's a bit like the risk of Kavlax breathing gravity at normal speed.
Old July 25, 2016, 02:24   #15
Egavactip
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Sprinting isn't all that useful, since when it wears off, your speed drops by 20. It's a bit like the risk of Kavlax breathing gravity at normal speed.
It is something I would not use in a free-for-all or some place like a vault, but it is usually safe to use against singletons.
Old July 27, 2016, 04:59   #16
Egavactip
Swordsman

So a quick update. My character is at level 48 right now, just trying to collect some consumables in the L90s before the big fights. The high elf experience penalty really hits you in these last few levels. I am about halfway to level 49. I'd like get get there before going in to the final battles (I only have 902 hp), but I am not sure I want to wait around to cl 50. I have never battled the bosses at less than cl50 before, so that would be a personal first.

I am still shy of the consumables I'd like, which for some reason have been coming very slowly--not very many pits (and none of ainu) is one reason. I just cleared a couple of big-ass vaults and hardly got any consumables at all. So grind a little more, I guess.

Of my stats, only STR is at 18/***. The next highest, constitution, is at 18/190. Wisdom, useful for a paladin, is only 18/140.

However, ac is 205, which is very nice, and I have all the resistances covered without any need for swaps. This is thanks in part to some Power Dragon armor--the second game in a row I have found Power Dragon armor (and only the fourth of all time for me).

The Power Dragon armor was not just Power Dragon armor, it was--in keeping with the apparent theme of this character--Power Dragon Armor of +5 speed. So my unhasted speed right now is +29, and that is AFTER I swapped a +10 Ring of Speed for a Ring of Damage. I have had so much speed I have been throwing it away.

In terms of remaining uniques, there is the Tarrasque, Carcaroth, Gothmog, maybe the Eye Tyrant, and probably a couple/few more. As long as I have some extra potions of healing and restore mana, there really isn't a unique I can't kill, so I am taking them when opportunities look good, but not making a thing of it. Having been killed by a unique in battle against Morgoth just two games ago, I was reminded of how much I do not like leaving uniques around. However, I am not going to slow up my game to find them.
Old July 27, 2016, 05:23   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

That last point of CON will give you around 70 HP. a couple more levels won't do nearly so much. A dwarven shield or gloves of combat is what you need, or Crown of Might (which I figure I use as endgame gear in about 50% of my games.)
Old July 27, 2016, 12:37   #18
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
PDSM of speed +5 is incredibly rare (I ve never found one), but in your case a more common Dwarven one would serve you better to top off that con.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2016, 16:37   #19
Egavactip
Swordsman

As it is, shortly after posting that message, I found an artifact ring that gave me +4 constitution. It is (+3, +8), so I substituted it for my Ring of Damage. That gives me less damage per turn, but still quite respectable, and the added hit points will make me have to heal less often and thus do more damage instead, so hopefully it evens out, more or less.
Old July 27, 2016, 16:48   #20
Pete Mack
Prophet

If you have enough utilities like !*Heal*, and ?Mass Banishment, just go kill Morgoth. With a Paladin at roughly 1000 HP, there's nothing you can't kill.