AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old September 26, 2016, 15:39   #11
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhades View Post
Hmm interesting. I look forward to seeing how this plays. The Autoroller rejecting a new player's stats, and generally just being incredibly confusing to new players while also being one of the first things they have to deal with, has been a real problem when I've been introducing new players (and I've introduced probably on the order of 50-100 new players by now) to the game. Almost every one of them ends up asking, confused, for help at the autoroller screen, and I can only imagine a number of first timers close the game there before even getting to spawn. The autoroller changes have been going in a decent direction, though it's still pretty arcane I expect this will lead to fewer players accidentally accepting a random-stats-with-no-thresholds-because-the-roller-decided-screw-your-expectations.
Does the '?' not help out here? For 5.0.2 I've added better UI coloring and updated the help docs even more. The goal of 5.0.1 changes was to make it clear to the player when their requested stat limits were reasonable. In 5.0.2, this should be even more clear (Green will work; Orange maybe, but don't count on it; Red is impossible). Prior to 5.0.1, there was no feedback as to what limits were possible, so this really *should* be an improvement!

BTW, for -Rockets, try hanging out at the bottom of R'lyeh. They are pretty common in vaults and such ...

EDIT: There are even tutorial like screenshots in the docs for the auto-roller!
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2016, 15:47   #12
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
2. Archaeologists - with the auto-ID option there is hardly any advantage to playing one, and even without it they are quite underpowered. While they have some powers related to whip use I rarely use whips as I usually find a better weapon. Perhaps archaeologists should have an additional equipment slot that would be dedicated only to whips? That way you could always have a whip on you in addition to your primary weapon. Another useless skill is Polish Shield as by the time you get it you have usually already found a shield of reflection. Polish shield would be useful though if it could be used on artifact or ego shields to add the reflection flag. Perhaps only temporarily?
Archaeologists are a weak class by design ... I think it is OK to have some variation in the power of various builds (They are stronger than a tourist, however, and there are some fairly powerful digger weapons in the game).

I'll think about Polish Shield for next version, but the traditional use of it is on a decent Dragon Shield. Reflection is very nice in the end game.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2016, 20:54   #13
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Great to hear about the 5.0.2 release

I found a minor bug in 5.0.2:
The Level notation in the object scoring (via 'I' command) doesn't show on all items on characters made before 5.0.2. I think this is expected since that Objection scoring's Level notation is new as part of 5.0.2.

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as MjolnirExcalibur (formerly AzureExcalibur777) (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My featured Heritage 65 playthrough videos (from GAME START to the 37 hour 34 min mark) on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZhC9H98cVTz9BK
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2016, 21:53   #14
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Does the '?' not help out here? For 5.0.2 I've added better UI coloring and updated the help docs even more. The goal of 5.0.1 changes was to make it clear to the player when their requested stat limits were reasonable. In 5.0.2, this should be even more clear (Green will work; Orange maybe, but don't count on it; Red is impossible). Prior to 5.0.1, there was no feedback as to what limits were possible, so this really *should* be an improvement!

BTW, for -Rockets, try hanging out at the bottom of R'lyeh. They are pretty common in vaults and such ...

EDIT: There are even tutorial like screenshots in the docs for the auto-roller!
In my opinion, change the coloring of the...('S' Restart, 'Q' Quit, '?' Help)... to YELLOW or some color so that new players will be then pay attention to it when they need help

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as MjolnirExcalibur (formerly AzureExcalibur777) (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):

My featured Heritage 65 playthrough videos (from GAME START to the 37 hour 34 min mark) on YouTube:
Old October 2, 2016, 04:28   #15
passer_by
Rookie

passer_by is on a distinguished road
I"m having a problem with changing realms as a Mage: the spells from the old realm are forgotten but the number of new spells I can learn doesn't increase correspondingly. Even if I then switch back to the old realm, I don't get back either the old spells or the old spell-learning slots.

This means that those spell slots are just permanently lost to my character, which seems a harsh penalty for changing realms. Is that intentional?

Last edited by passer_by; October 2, 2016 at 21:22.
passer_by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2016, 14:21   #16
Regalia
Apprentice

Regalia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by passer_by View Post
I"m having a problem with changing realms as a Mage: the spells from the old realm are forgotten but the number of new spells I can learn doesn't increase correspondingly.

This means that those spell-learning slots are just permanently lost to my character, which seems a harsh penalty for changing realms. Is this intentional?
I think there are scrolls of spell that give bonus slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
[3] Mimics now get a saving throw during Dispel Magic in order to maintain their current form.
Now that is good news. I always thought dispel was a bit too punishing on mimics. 150 to make it guaranteed, hm... I wonder if that's possible to get.
Regalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016, 03:44   #17
murphy
Apprentice

murphy is on a distinguished road
In 5.0.2 when I look at the monster description for a hammer brother, it says

Spells : 50.00% (4 of 100 moves)

The (x of y moves) seems to make sense for other monsters, but i dont think this one is right!
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2016, 03:26   #18
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

Some [5.0.x] bugs for chris to check out:
1) Here's a probable longstanding bug (or maybe working as designed...you tell me ): Chaos patron equipment blasts will weaken heavy curses. For example, a weapon blast from Balo will weaken a Weapon of Morgul's heavy curse into a weak curse...so you can then use a regular Scroll of Remove Curse instead. I'm sure the same thing will happen to permanent curses too, unless I'm mistaken. Yep. I think Scrolls of Curse Armor/Weapon will have the same effect -- i.e. turning a heavy / perma equip curse into a weak curse. Not that I'm complaining. Now that I mention this, chris will be keen on fixing this bug.

2) Blue-mage spell lists still don't show up in the chardumps!!

3) Occasionally, the game doesn't generate all of the 16(?) Wargs needed for the Wargs Quest. Thus, the player would then have to leave the level and return in order for the last Wargs to generate.

At some point, I'll forward these issues to the PosChengband repository.

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; October 9, 2016 at 05:08.
Old October 9, 2016, 12:02   #19
wobbly
Knight

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
3) Occasionally, the game doesn't generate all of the 16(?) Wargs needed for the Wargs Quest. Thus, the player would then have to leave the level and return in order for the last Wargs to generate.
You sure? I've seen several times a warg turn up in a room disconnected from the rest of the level.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016, 02:53   #20
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
You sure? I've seen several times a warg turn up in a room disconnected from the rest of the level.
Yes, I am positive on this, though this happens occasionally. In the future, I'll hopefully get a screen recording of this actually happening somehow.