Regeneration. It gives me more mana and HP for exploring and fighting 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 27, 2016, 22:23   #1
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Poll: Favorite weak amulet

What is your favorite weak amulet? Obviously lightning/acid resistance until you have a useful armor or shield. But after that there are 3 choices: Regen, Infravision, and Wisdom. I occasionally see non-priest casters using Wisdom...which I don't even bother to pick up.
So really:
Infravision, for early warning and better archery when you don't have ESP
Regen, for getting back in the battle quickly with fresh mana/hp
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2016, 23:48   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Regeneration is better than all of them for non-holy casters, IMO. Next would be Infravision, since knowing what's in a room can save your life sometimes. Distant third is Wisdom.

The thing about regeneration is that it ups the pace of your game tremendously. Beefy characters practically no longer need to rest, which is nice, but it's far more useful for caster characters, who go from regenerating 1SP per every few turns, to regeneration 1SP every single turn. Not only does this mean a lot less time spent resting, it also greatly improves the number of spells they can cast in a fight. These are solid, reliable benefits that you get no matter how you play, whereas infravision is situational and WIS boosts are tiny saving-throw bonuses at best.

Of course, if I've somehow made it to the depths where elemental resists are really critical and I don't have a better option yet, I'll wear the resist amulets. But I'll grumble about it.

I once made a patch that split physical and magical regeneration into separate flags. As I recall, it never made it in due mostly to issues with the detailed character information page...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016, 14:28   #3
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
I didn't vote because I wear Slow Digestion until I get Trickery. But that's because I'm really lazy.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016, 14:49   #4
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
No vote from me either, because it depends on the race and class. If I'm playing a Half Troll Warrior, for example, then Slow Digestion will be my weak amulet of choice. A Human any class, I might need Infravision for awhile, a Priest, might need Wisdom, etc.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Last edited by Ingwe Ingweron; September 28, 2016 at 16:53.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016, 14:57   #5
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I went with infravision, but yeah it depends. If your human it of course skewers things because you don't have it in-built. Besides anything else it's good for whatever Smeagol drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
I occasionally see non-priest casters using Wisdom...which I don't even bother to pick up.
Probably a case of wisdom or nothing? Hey maybe it pushes you up to that extra 1% save..
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2016, 10:12   #6
AmyBSOD
Rookie

AmyBSOD is on a distinguished road
How's regeneration "weak"?! My early game characters would go out of their way to get their hands on that amulet, and/or spend all of their savings if one pops up early in the Black Market. Granted, I'd swap it out as soon as an amulet of Telepathy shows up, but you don't usually see those early on... But anyway, fast HP *and* SP regeneration? Why would you ever wear something like +2 wisdom over that???
AmyBSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2016, 13:08   #7
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Amulet of teleportation. It's not even sticky cursed now, so there's no reason to not wear one to speed up the process of exploring levels.
Old September 29, 2016, 16:10   #8
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Amulet of teleportation. It's not even sticky cursed now, so there's no reason to not wear one to speed up the process of exploring levels.
It doesn't even teleport you in the nightlies. So that's why I don't wear them - seems like cheating...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016, 12:20   #9
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
It doesn't even teleport you in the nightlies. So that's why I don't wear them - seems like cheating...
I think rings are cheezy in the nighlies because they give free +2 speed, the amulet simply does nothing. But once this is fixed, they are a viable choice.
Old October 1, 2016, 03:49   #10
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
I think rings are cheezy in the nighlies because they give free +2 speed, the amulet simply does nothing. But once this is fixed, they are a viable choice.
Sure. But by the time you find 3 of them, it's very likely (97%) you can get at least one uncursed. They make starting play much easier for a mage, since you don't have to worry about inventory management before finding STR. It's equivalent to STR+4 or 5.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote